What's your latest purchase?

Quai34

Just paid the last balance of this snare, cannot wait to get it, what is the best tuning for it? I have my Tama Star reserve plain Mapple at A2, I'm thinking joint to give it even more crack and high pitch at A#, what would be the note forma medium tuning,maybe ala Billie Jean but more lively, not dead like the snare in this song? Let me know.

felonious69

My niece's daughter is going to be 8. I recently bought her a practice pad, complete with two sets of sticks and a carry bag. All 4 times I have seen her since I got it, she had it with her and two of them she was tapping away on it.
Today arrived the Tama Rock Star snare (13...yes x 5?) for her to "graduate" to. Got it used off MF for 30 bucks. It even has a new Remo Ambassador coated batter and Ambassador reso. The snares and reso head look new/great too. I'm just glad she is showing an interest. I already gave her older sister distortion, delay and chorus pedals, cords and batteries and a chord book.

Attachments

• Tama.jpg
    Tama.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Tama1.jpg
    Tama1.jpg
    883.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Tama2.jpg
    Tama2.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 4

wraub

I recently got an Aquarian Super Kick 2 bass batter and a 60s Zildjian high hat bottom, which I am actually using as a top with a Quick Beat top as the bottom hat.
It's weird but it works, it sounds good.

Ronzo

Bought and installed Evans Hydraulic tom and bass heads.
E7B65C89-6F9C-4089-9AA2-7AA9BD88224A.jpeg
Chad Smith cowbell...can never have enough. This thing sounds great and comes with a rock solid mount and memory lock 92C75A75-5E55-4219-9491-2C3B65E34C92.jpeg
As I add little bits here and there to this older kit, some of those bits are gonna be migrating and staying with my new kit. This cowbell is a perfect example of that.

Last edited:

sumdrumguy

Just received word, one of these - Yamaha RC 14x6.5 Brass - will be in my hands by weeks end.
5809E95C47C147E6B841964C37976257_12073_742x485_87627f6262c381a49f02240be93bba25.jpg

I already have the RC Aluminium 14x6.5. Can't wait to set this up with that and do my own A/B test.

GMS_Fan

This beauty is on its way. 6.5"x14" GMS Revolution Maple/Aluminum.

IMG_20210410_185317_811.jpg
IMG_20210410_185319_942.jpg

Last edited:

dwsabianguy

CEA9DE5C-3AD0-411A-8937-43E7E19FE2EB.jpeg
4AE32716-26A4-4A07-B911-BE3DEA68E98E.jpeg

Dunnett Titanium! "Elika" made April 23rd 2020

Yes, it lives up to the hype. One of the most powerful drums I think I've ever played, and yet it's super articulate, what I would call nimble. Incredibly sensitive, but never chokes.

This drum came in to 2112 as part of a huge trade-in; dude drove five hours from West Virginia to the drum shop with an SUV full of ancient drumheads (Rogers, Premier, Ludwig silver dots, oddball stuff) and left with some really nice Paiste Signatures, a 9000 hihat stand, and the 5x14 solid-shell cherry Pearl Music City snare. This is one of my dream drums, so of course I had to ask if they'd let me take it home, and gladly they did.

I changed out the stock 42-strand snares because I thought they choked the drum too much; these Canopus Vintage 20 snares sound much better. And I left the purple ribbon on there to keep some of the original look, but it's not actually doing anything.

Last edited:

timmdrum

Silver Member
View attachment 103349
View attachment 103350

Dunnett Titanium! "Elika" made April 23rd 2020

Yes, it lives up to the hype. One of the most powerful drums I think I've ever played, and yet it's super articulate, what I would call nimble. Came in to 2112 as part of a huge trade-in. Had to change out the stock 42-strand snares because I thought they choked the drum too much; these Canopus Vintage 20 snares sound much better.
Ribbon and cord...? Do you attribute the great traits to the shell material?

dwsabianguy

Ribbon and cord...? Do you attribute the great traits to the shell material?

Haha the ribbon is only there for looks at this point. The purple ribbon is a trademark little splash of color on the titanium drums; they're red on Dunnett stainless steel. Now if I could find some purple cord...

It sounds great because it's got a well made shell, made out of a very nice piece of metal, with minimal hardware, and unique snare beds. The super thin straight shell is definitely a very direct sound, and the snare beds being very deep and severe gives it a unique sort of response. Definitely different from any of my other snares.

Today arrived the Tama Rock Star snare (13...yes x 5?) for her to "graduate" to. Got it used off MF for 30 bucks. It even has a new Remo Ambassador coated batter and Ambassador reso. The snares and reso head look new/great too. I'm just glad she is showing an interest. I already gave her older sister distortion, delay and chorus pedals, cords and batteries and a chord book.
So. Apparently not content with just being the cool uncle, you decided to be the wickedly insanely cool uncle, I take it?
Mission accomplished.

felonious69

Regarding the snare...When I said "Damn, ROX, every time I see you you have that practice pad with you! Keep that up I might have to get you a snare drum."
She replied "Awesome!...then I can annoy everyone!"
She really is a cool kid...Year of the Dragon just like her great uncle Bob!

dwsabianguy

Alright. I got the Dunnett yesterday, but I can't wait to share what I got today...

27F8C3F9-6E3E-404D-809B-65B5DC18AB45.jpeg

...a late 1970s Magnovox-era "Curved Line" Ampeg V-9 SVT.

A little back story: My Rush tribute is playing our first (seated) show at the Lincoln Theatre here in Raleigh on May 29th (if you're local, come say hello!) and we'll be hiring a couple videographers, and I will be grabbing a Pro Tools session from the console. I've got the whole humongous kit, Warren plays with two half stacks, and our bassist has been playing my bass cab the whole time, which is a fridge, but a 4x10 and 1x15 in one enclosure: the SVT-1540HE. He's also playing my Rickenbacker for these shows, so you could say I'm basically in charge of bass tones at this point.

Now, my girlfriend was looking at a Rav4 in Connecticut (remember, we live in North Carolina), and she found a guy who was willing to meet us in New York City to buy the car, so we bought overnight bus tickets for Tuesday night (last night) to New York and were planning on having a day in the city, buying the car, then driving it home. So we bought the tickets on Monday, and I found an SVT stack in Maryland, from a guy who ended up not responding, but by that point I'd already put my current bass amp up for sale, and I had my heart set on getting an SVT this week. I found this head on Reverb; it's a late 70s V-9 Magnavox SVT, and all the preamp tubes are original. Made an offer, and paid for it on Monday night. This right here is what I consider to be THE ultimate bass amp. 300 watts of all tube (take a deep breath and say it with me) POWAAAHHHHH

And then on Tuesday afternoon the guy selling the car told us that his dad, the real owner of the car, had decided NOT to move out of the country, and that the car was no longer for sale.

But I'd already paid for this Ampeg, and I'd be damned if I was going to let it go so easily! So we rescheduled our bus tickets, got a refund for our MOMA tickets (we'll be back), and drove my car up to Maryland for a midweek vacation.

Turns out Maryland only sells beer at liquor stores, and it just so happened that there's one right next to our hotel, and that they had some of the last stock in the country of my absolute favorite beer.

A day for the books!

Up next on the list is to sell my Fender Bassman and the 1540HE and find a proper 8x10 cab for this SVT, which I have named Sheila.

Last edited:

Quai34

Bought and installed Evans Hydraulic tom and bass heads.
View attachment 103283
Chad Smith cowbell...can never have enough. This thing sounds great and comes with a rock solid mount and memory lock View attachment 103284
As I add little bits here and there to this older kit, some of those bits are gonna be migrating and staying with my new kit. This cowbell is a perfect example of that.
I have this one too, I love it, super Rock kind of cow bell..then I found the new Meinl Mike Johnson groove cow bell being more Latin so, I got one too and put it in the kit as well...The red one is on topic the 12" Tom just under the cymbals and the Groove bell is between the snare and the floor tom.... Yeah, you can never have too much cow bell...

Quai34

Just received word, one of these - Yamaha RC 14x6.5 Brass - will be in my hands by weeks end.
5809E95C47C147E6B841964C37976257_12073_742x485_87627f6262c381a49f02240be93bba25.jpg

I already have the RC Aluminium 14x6.5. Can't wait to set this up with that and do my own A/B test.
I've been thinking to Buy mine for a long time but went twice with a Tama Star Reserve...and I have already 3 14" snares and was maybe thinking to get it in 13"..…;But I'm not sure I will like it in 13"... Let us know how much you like to when you'll have it...

Quai34