What's your latest purchase?

J-W

Will Barkeepers Friend get it off? I’d deffo have to polish up that sucker...it’s a beautiful cymbal underneath the crud! (y) :)

Yep, Barkeepers Friend, possibly followed by some Trick cymbal polish, (depending on how bad it is) then a coat of wax. Should be good for a few years after that.
It might be a few weeks, though as I'm right in the middle of a major home improvement project so my time is dedicated to that. My kit is covered in plastic, but I couldn't wait to hear the new cymbal so I uncovered it long enough to get it in there and take it for a spin. I'm definitely pleased. ?

wraub

I cleaned some paint and random DNA off a cymbal a while back with nail polish remover, worked well and left the logos alone. It was a Paiste cymbal, so it may work for you.

Will Barkeepers Friend get it off? I’d deffo have to polish up that sucker...it’s a beautiful cymbal underneath the crud! (y) :)

wraub

I started with PDP stands and still have a couple, but why not get your Yamaha kit some Yamaha stands?
I use a Yamaha snare stand and high hat stand, neither was a lot more expensive than the PDP stuff but is so much better made imo.

I had been looking to find a used kit for gigging and was watching several. I missed out on a couple PDP CX kits that got snapped up before I could act. I ended up getting very lucky and found a Yamaha Stage Custom 5 piece kit in blue sapphire that had never been removed from the boxes. Everything was still in its original packaging. That means the hardware boxes were unopened and the drums were still wrapped in plastic. I then bought a DW 7000 single pedal on eBay for $60 (I already have a DW7000 double pedal). I went to Sam Ash and bought a PDP 700 series snare stand and hi hat stand. Unfortunately both are going back. The snare stand just barely makes the height I need for my snare and the hi hat does not go high enough for me. Looks like I need to spring for the 800 series of each. I'd like to add another 16" crash to my cymbal set up as well as a straight and boom cymbal stands. I use the same cymbals and stands for gigging as for the home set up. But everything else I'd like to be able to just keep in their cases so I can just load the car and go. I also need to get a few cases that I don't already have. We won't even talk about the fact that there are no gigs to be had and both my bands are not practicing due to covid. ?

Kuromaku

As I was kicking around with some of you elsewhere on the forum, built my own stack. Picked up a PSTX Swiss Splash and a Planet Z Splash, slapped them together, and got a righteous stack for under $100. Short, trashy, cutting. So good. It's a whole different flavor among the crashes and toms. Great complement to the hats.
The only minor disappointment is that I thought I'd get a good splash out of the PSTX Swiss, but it doesn't really suit me on its own. (And the Planet Z is garbage on its own, but I knew that would be the case.)View attachment 100197
Switched it up to hi hat style and it's even better. Such a great clap/chop sound. Really mixes up fills and breaks.
stackB.JPG

wraub

I've long been curious re: double pedals so picked up a basic, like-new used set from PDP. It gets pretty good reviews, and the price was cheap enough to make it an easy buy and, likely, an easy flip. Glad I did, it was a low-cost way to see if a bigger buy would be worthwhile someday.

I will say that, for a basic set, they're not bad. Clearly not as overbuilt and rock solid as some, but even new they're pretty inexpensive, and used it was just silly cheap, so I wasn't expecting the best quality. But it's not bad at all, and pretty fun.
Stock pic, but looks like this- 1611503636329.png

J-W

The Paiste cleaned up pretty nice with just a once-over with Barkeeper's Friend. Unfortunatly, removing all the funk makes it now sound like an 8" splash! Kidding. It sounds the same to me. I'll take some proper polish to it when I have more time.
Bye bye, logos......for now. I have a feeling we'll be meeting again soon.
IMG_6931a.jpg
IMG_6932a.jpg

Al Strange

The Paiste cleaned up pretty nice with just a once-over with Barkeeper's Friend. Unfortunatly, removing all the funk makes it now sound like an 8" splash! Kidding. It sounds the same to me. I'll take some proper polish to it when I have more time.
Bye bye, logos......for now. I have a feeling we'll be meeting again soon.
View attachment 100258
View attachment 100259
Top job mate...the difference is night and day! (y) :D

J-W

Top job mate...the difference is night and day! (y) :D

Thanks. It's amazing just how easy it is with Barkeeper's Friend. I was worried that the really dark spots left behind after I washed the green patina off of them wouldn't come up, but they did. The back wasn't bad at all. Just a few spots of tape residue, which I removed with alcohol. So I just gave it a quick once over with BKF and was able to keep the logo, or what was left of it, anyway.
I'll still get some polish on it to really bring out the shine eventually.

wraub

This is making me want to clean off the grime on my crash and splash cymbals...
Nicely done.

Thanks. It's amazing just how easy it is with Barkeeper's Friend. I was worried that the really dark spots left behind after I washed the green patina off of them wouldn't come up, but they did. The back wasn't bad at all. Just a few spots of tape residue, which I removed with alcohol. So I just gave it a quick once over with BKF and was able to keep the logo, or what was left of it, anyway.
I'll still get some polish on it to really bring out the shine eventually.

Reactions: J-W

Ransan

Pawn shopping as I was in the downtown neighborhood yesterday.
Got this early mid 70s Pearl D4514 CoS with knurled center and the beautiful diamond style lugs for $29.
Everything works well, has the lever throw (ala Gretsch round badge snares), one thing that is cool is the butt end has a tension knob for tightening.
499CF12F-B7D7-425B-B5B8-F26E8A7D0C6A.jpegC28E2F98-D1EF-4F2B-BE08-2B8DA61C26A5.jpegC5F5428A-0235-4C23-A5C5-66EDF0FCF07B.jpeg
FB53BFE8-E80C-4EB3-BAE9-23E213EC0382.jpeg

wildbill

Platinum Member
Bye bye, logos......for now. I have a feeling we'll be meeting again soon....

That's exactly what I would have done. Logos aren't worth the gunk. It looks really good.

Reactions: J-W

J-W

Getting snowed-in as we speak so I took the opportunity to spend a bit of time with the Dry Heavy Ride today. I think I found my forever ride. It's all I've asked for and then some. It's the "then some" that I find the most interesting. It doesn't take much coaxing to get volume out of it, and the bell is absolutely fantastic. I normally have buyers remorse at/for some time after an unnecessary purchase, but have had ZERO since I pulled the trigger on this. I didn't need it, but I'm sure glad I got it.
IMG_6935a.jpg

Quai34

So, this is the color without the polish? Because it's already super shiny!!?? What adding more polishing?

Kuromaku

Pre-orders count as a purchase, right? My addiction to expanding my kit has led me to wanting a side snare - I must be subconsciously trying to build Tony Royster Jr.'s kit configuration from when he played Caravan on Letterman:

Something about this one hit all the marks for me, so I pulled the trigger.
PDPLTD.jpg

Lee-Bro

Just added some 1990 Dark Blue Tama Granstar II 12", 13" toms, 16" floor tom, and a 22" kick with factory mount to add to my 8", 10", 11", 14", 15" toms and double 22 virgin kicks.

Once I add a couple 24"s and an 18" floor tom, my shell bank for this kit will be complete.

*Set up for a quick photo. The blue ensemble was a happy coincidence.

1611865167075.png