What's your latest purchase?

Quai34

Just got a 6 1/2 x 14 maple Dialtune Snare

Revolutionary tuning system sounds fantastic can be re-tuned in seconds
I tried to attach a pic, file too large and don’t have time to redo right now.

Here’s a link

I'm a bit lost?? Why having one snare to do all the different tuning in its own? Being in need of different tuning isn't just the greatest excuse for any drummer to get more snares? To have them tune at diferent tuning ? Get at least 3 tuning right? Low medium and high and even super cracky high tuning? And then, at least 3 metal, copper brass and aluminum, 3 wood and then you are REALLY IN NEED OF...18 Snares!! (just kidding)

PSG Abz

Since I seem to be on a Stewart Copeland/Police kick, having his signature snare, and just having ordered a Blue Bell Ride, I just paid for a 16” Signature Full Crash, which should be here in a day or two. And this followed me home, a Signature 8” splash which I hope will pair decently with the 10” DE splash I have. May as well go all out and order the 12” rhythmist Hats 🙃
Since I seem to be on a Stewart Copeland/Police kick, having his signature snare, and just having ordered a Blue Bell Ride, I just paid for a 16” Signature Full Crash, which should be here in a day or two. And this followed me home, a Signature 8” splash which I hope will pair decently with the 10” DE splash I have. May as well go all out and order the 12” rhythmist Hats 🙃
Hi
I managed to find a pair of 602 blue label 13” heavy .....

Attachments

• 04F7C841-9ECA-47C2-A04A-0A5078963D20.jpeg
    04F7C841-9ECA-47C2-A04A-0A5078963D20.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 8

Iampetedrum

see if you can then, if he's liquidating/closing up, any moeny they can make/save should be ok by them! :)
Thanks for the input. In fact it reinforces the owner's argument when I questioned my sanity for entertaining the idea of purchasing 9 MORE cymbals especially considering 3 I'd already worked for (covid or no covid, a remendous deal for <6hrs of puttering around the shop).
He says most convincingly...just buy' em all, sell what you dont mind parting with to get the ones you want for free or close to it... Then he says... How about $700 for the nine? Consider stimulus check gone... Only problem, I'm going to have to play them awhile before I can choose. Oh well, p-nut butter jelly sammies and ramen soups for a couple weeks. Here's some snaps. Yeah, I know there's the oddball PTS5 in the heap but I'm not gonna say anything.

Attachments

• IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 11

Iampetedrum

This is what orchestral players know that nobody else seems to know. It is most noticeable on instruments with a lot of volume and resonance, like timpani and cymbals. Touch is huge, but kind of undefinable.
Hmm. I'm thinking this is along similar lines with the advice that in order to extract a cleaner louder and more sonorous intended fundamental (and overtones) from a true gong it should be warmed up with a series of short quiet mallet rolls near it's edge. I've read that Bonham had his tech surreptitiously perform this service during performance.
So basically those all around get to know when Uncle (T-Rex) Larry will “Get it on!”. 🤠

makinao

Silver Member
Sonarworks Reference 4 with measurement mic academic edition. Downloaded and installed the software already. The mic is currently in customs waiting for clearance. I hope they don't kill me with taxes.

NouveauCliche

Just got a 6 1/2 x 14 maple Dialtune Snare

Revolutionary tuning system sounds fantastic can be re-tuned in seconds
I tried to attach a pic, file too large and don’t have time to redo right now.

Here’s a link

A buddy of mine just won one of those snares (slightly more shallow I think) on an IG giveaway. He's given it glowing reviews - but I haven't made it over to see it in person yet.

MntnMan62

I had been looking to find a used kit for gigging and was watching several. I missed out on a couple PDP CX kits that got snapped up before I could act. I ended up getting very lucky and found a Yamaha Stage Custom 5 piece kit in blue sapphire that had never been removed from the boxes. Everything was still in its original packaging. That means the hardware boxes were unopened and the drums were still wrapped in plastic. I then bought a DW 7000 single pedal on eBay for $60 (I already have a DW7000 double pedal). I went to Sam Ash and bought a PDP 700 series snare stand and hi hat stand. Unfortunately both are going back. The snare stand just barely makes the height I need for my snare and the hi hat does not go high enough for me. Looks like I need to spring for the 800 series of each. I'd like to add another 16" crash to my cymbal set up as well as a straight and boom cymbal stands. I use the same cymbals and stands for gigging as for the home set up. But everything else I'd like to be able to just keep in their cases so I can just load the car and go. I also need to get a few cases that I don't already have. We won't even talk about the fact that there are no gigs to be had and both my bands are not practicing due to covid. 😁

C.M. Jones

Found a used, but mint set of Paiste 12” combo hats (Copeland) at a store across the country. Went and paid for them, and hopefully they should arrive end of next week.

Nice pair of hats. Owing to their small diameter, you'd expect them to be somewhat shrill, but they have a surprising warmth, at least in a few of the demos I've heard.

IBitePrettyHard

I got a new Gretsch drum key!!!

rZRxOM0.png

Also included in the box was a free bass drum which is cool too I guess.

It's a Gretsch Renown 22x18" add-on bass drum in Vintage Pearl. I have a hoop protector and port cutter on order. It sounds killer!

KEPeFZ1.png

@yammyfan

Last edited:

rebonn

I got a new Gretsch drum key!!!

rZRxOM0.png

Also included in the box was a free bass drum which is cool too I guess.

It's a Gretsch Renown 22x18" add-on bass drum in Vintage Pearl. I have a hoop protector and port cutter on order. It sounds killer!

KEPeFZ1.png

@yammyfan

I like that key. The bass drum ain't too shabby either. :p The smaller the better because it goes in my pocket when gigging. I got a small DW key when I got a DW 5000 pedal.

J-W

This disgusting thing. To those of you who say to never clean or polish your cymbals, 🤮
I really have been wanting a "Monad", but can't stand the purple. Saw this for a steal and figured I'd give it a try. I gave it a good antibacterial dishsoap bath so far just so I could handle the thing without feeling like a penicillin shot is in order. It doesn't take a blacklight to see the DNA left behind on this thing. 🤢
I usually deliberately remove the logo from my cymbals, but for some reason I feel compelled to keep these, but polish I must.
Paiste 22 Dry Heavy Ride 2.jpg
Paiste 22 Dry Heavy Ride 1.jpg

C.M. Jones

This disgusting thing. To those of you who say to never clean or polish your cymbals, 🤮
I really have been wanting a "Monad", but can't stand the purple. Saw this for a steal and figured I'd give it a try. I gave it a good antibacterial dishsoap bath so far just so I could handle the thing without feeling like a penicillin shot is in order. It doesn't take a blacklight to see the DNA left behind on this thing. 🤢
I usually deliberately remove the logo from my cymbals, but for some reason I feel compelled to keep these, but polish I must.
View attachment 100193
View attachment 100194

It's a dry ride. The accumulation of grime might enhance that effect. If it sounds good now, I'd leave it alone. Also, restoring it looks like a mammoth job.

Kuromaku

As I was kicking around with some of you elsewhere on the forum, built my own stack. Picked up a PSTX Swiss Splash and a Planet Z Splash, slapped them together, and got a righteous stack for under $100. Short, trashy, cutting. So good. It's a whole different flavor among the crashes and toms. Great complement to the hats.
The only minor disappointment is that I thought I'd get a good splash out of the PSTX Swiss, but it doesn't really suit me on its own. (And the Planet Z is garbage on its own, but I knew that would be the case.)stack.JPG

J-W

It's a dry ride. The accumulation of grime might enhance that effect. If it sounds good now, I'd leave it alone. Also, restoring it looks like a mammoth job.

Yep, but my thinking is, it was a dry ride when new, so I'm confident in it staying dry even after a good polishing. Besides, I doubt my ear could differentiate. Age and hearing damage have made me less picky about such nuances. Patina reflects neglect, in my OC(P)D mind. That alone decides it.

C.M. Jones

Yep, but my thinking is, it was a dry ride when new, so I'm confident in it staying dry even after a good polishing. Besides, I doubt my ear could differentiate. Age and hearing damage have made me less picky about such nuances. Patina reflects neglect, in my OC(P)D mind. That alone decides it.

I hear you. I used to tolerate nothing less than sparkle from my pies, but I find it liberating that the Avedis line has a preaged patina finish that I can just leave alone. Cymbal polishing is a lot of work.

Post an updated photo once you've scrubbed down the dry ride.

Last edited: