What's your latest purchase?

Square

You definitely NEEDED one. It's as if, it was made for your kit. lol! Still debating if I NEED one. Kinda tough to convince myself given that I have low volume pads on everything. Looks sweet though...😍
The truth is I spend most of my time with Silent Strokes on the kit as well. I just ordered some sound off pads, going to try those. I like that idea because it is a quick change to remove the pads and get loud... the SS, not so much. I'm lucky in that my use of low volume stuff is just a courtesy to my wife and kids. They really don't care if I get loud for a few hours, but when I'm working technique or trying to learn fills I imagine it gets monotonous.

Oh, and my vote? Yes, you need one.

Hewitt2

COVID pretty much destroyed my newish practice pad so I decided to “splurge” on the Evans Realfeel especially since I have no need to buy gear as I’m not playing out these days.

As I’m putting so much time in the pad these days (2 hours+) and I like to practice on the pad with a heavier stick (usually a 5B), I’m noticing my drum kit preferences are tilting towards a heavier stick too. Pre-COVID I was using a 5A which then shifted to a Vater Fusion and is now a Fatback 3A. For more jazz or cymbal stuff I think I will stick to the Vater Fusion but for regular groove oriented music I think the 3A will be a nice addition.
3CE48707-7E18-4E4A-9825-EF35BF0A1C95.jpeg

wraub

I needed a stand for my practice pad, as the one I've been using is an old copy of an older Ludwig (I think) stand that is missing a screw or two. It works, but, just.
Picked up a nice used newer Pearl snare stand, a big and solid improvement. Along with, I picked up a Pacific 13x4 piccolo snare that is my project for today. :D
It needs a good cleaning and a new batter head and ribbon for the wires, all on hand.
It was a goofy inexpensive buy, I may end up painting it or something just for fun.

edit- 2 hours later, after a rehab session, it's actually a pretty good sounding snare drum. The only head I had on hand was an Ebony Weatherking. It works. ;) Could use a new reso, but it's a useful drum and a voice I didn't have, for sure.

Last edited:

J-W

It's not as exciting of an item as a new snare, since it's just a replacement for what I already had, but it's this:

IMG_6744 a.jpg
because the roofers dropped this:
IMG_4129 a.jpg
through the 19' high tin ceiling, ricocheting off the wall, then the wall cap (black mark on copper),
IMG_4115 a.jpg
then hitting the counterweight of the stand causing this
IMG_6747 a.jpg
And some rubble that rained down on the kit, as well
IMG_4119 a.jpg
The craziest part is that when the pipe fell through, the foreman and I were in the room and I literally had to step out of the way of it's final resting spot leaving roofing tar on my brand new carpet. I looked at him and said, "Did that really just F-ing happen??". It was one of those things that seem to happen in slow motion and was very surreal.
I had come home to find the ceiling punched in and told him to step inside to see what had been done. It was an old vent that had been cut off above ceiling level and patched over (with a mismatched tin) some time ago. Since it was no longer in use it was cut flush for the new roof. I knew what had happened and called the foreman off the roof. Just as we got into the room the guys above had pulled back the membrane to try to pull it up through the decking and it dropped through while we were standing there. I still can't believe how close it was to taking out the whole kit.
Fortunately, the roofing company did make it right with me. Things could have been much worse, that's for sure!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It's not as exciting of an item as a new snare, since it's just a replacement for what I already had, but it's this:

View attachment 98665
View attachment 98666
through the 19' high tin ceiling, ricocheting off the wall, then the wall cap (black mark on copper),
View attachment 98668
View attachment 98669
View attachment 98670
The craziest part is that when the pipe fell through, the foreman and I were in the room and I literally had to step out of the way of it's final resting spot leaving roofing tar on my brand new carpet. I looked at him and said, "Did that really just F-ing happen??". It was one of those things that seem to happen in slow motion and was very surreal.
I had come home to find the ceiling punched in and told him to step inside to see what had been done. It was an old vent that had been cut off above ceiling level and patched over (with a mismatched tin) some time ago. Since it was no longer in use it was cut flush for the new roof. I knew what had happened and called the foreman off the roof. Just as we got into the room the guys above had pulled back the membrane to try to pull it up through the decking and it dropped through while we were standing there. I still can't believe how close it was to taking out the whole kit.
Fortunately, the roofing company did make it right with me. Things could have been much worse, that's for sure!
That's crazy. Lucky for sure. Uh, I wanna see the rest of your house. 19' ornate tin ceiling? Awesome!

C.M. Jones

View attachment 98665
View attachment 98666
View attachment 98668
View attachment 98669
View attachment 98670
Quite a near miss, man. Glad no one was hurt.

J-W

That's crazy. Lucky for sure. Uh, I wanna see the rest of your house. 19' ornate tin ceiling? Awesome!
It's my home, but not a house in the traditional sense. It was built as a bank in 1910 and has been several other things since, including a corner store, and a pool hall. Sometime in the 80's it was completely gutted and converted into a residence. The previous owner was the one who did the conversion. He cut a number of corners and never updated it. He was diabetic and started to lose his vision and was unable to maintain the place for a number of years before his death. I got it cheap because of all the work it needed, including the entire roof. I've put a ton of work into it myself but it's still very much a work in progress.

IMG_4042 a.jpg

Quite a near miss, man. Glad no one was hurt.
Thanks. Fortunately no one was at any real risk. I was at work just prior and the cat was under the bed the entire time they worked on the roof.
When the pipe dislodged at the decking it fell onto the tin ceiling then slowly slid through the downed panel. We could hear and see it coming out but all we could do is stand there helplessly watching it. I thought it would just drop straight down, but it grazed the copper cap sending it on it's course into the room.