What's your latest purchase?

yammyfan

Picking up some Zildjian K Sweet hi-hats this afternoon. I've heard good things about large hi-hats so I went with 16's this time around.

I won't have long to wait to hear how they blend in with the rest of the K Sweet lineup. I'm heading straight to rehearsal afterwards with my crashes and ride in tow. Should be fun!

donzo74

I’m in the process of purchasing a Pearl BLX Kit, made between 85’ and 88 So I’m told. Piano black lacquer, Both inside and out! Does anyone have any familiarity with these kits? In the parlance of that period the shells are relatively thick, which I like...
I have a set of these with the long, high-tension lugs. They are 6ply, 7.5mm thick 100% birch shells. Mine are Sequoia Red with clear lacquer inside. They are loud drums and project well. They are on the heavy side with the long lugs and thick shells but they are very well built and sturdy.

yammyfan

A quick follow-up to my earlier post. The 16" K Sweet hats are unbelievably great! Like, seriously good hi-hats 😊

If I had to sum them up in one word it would be: Effortless.

Generally speaking, when I play I'm "mixing" myself to balance kick drum, snare drum and cymbals relative to each other. I pay special attention to my hi-hats because it's easy (for me) to get carried away with them. Not so with the K Sweets. They are spot-on no matter how I play them.

They weren't cheap but they're worth it to me. Completely satisfied!

20200829_170755.jpg

Last edited:

rebonn

Electro-Voice RE20 #2. I'm now properly equipped for double-kick setups. Like the one I'll have for the September 12 Cygnus X-2 Permanent Waves show.

View attachment 95384
I use it in the studio for the kick and bass amp.
You can crank it up as it has excellent GBF (gain before feedback) and you'll probably see you have to increase the gain more than other mics.
I don't take it out live though. I use my EV kick mic.
Congrats on a great mic.

dwsabianguy

I use it in the studio for the kick and bass amp.
You can crank it up as it has excellent GBF (gain before feedback) and you'll probably see you have to increase the gain more than other mics.
I don't take it out live though. I use my EV kick mic.
Congrats on a great mic.
The RE20 is honestly where I want the outputs of my mics to be. All my pres sound great, with low noise, so I haven't had an issue with low output mics in a long time. I've had my first RE20 for about three years now and it has lived in my kick unless I'm using my D12E. If we do take the Cygnus thing on the road I'll bring the full complement of drum mics.

Last edited:

jimb

A quick follow-up to my earlier post. The 16" K Sweet hats are unbelievably great! Like, seriously good hi-hats 😊

If I had to sum them up in one word it would be: Effortless.

Generally speaking, when I play I'm "mixing" myself to balance kick drum, snare drum and cymbals relative to each other. I pay special attention to my hi-hats because it's easy (for me) to get carried away with them. Not so with the K Sweets. They are spot-on no matter how I play them.

They weren't cheap but they're worth it to me. Completely satisfied!

View attachment 95488
Interesting. They are very fine sounding and very expensive too. Seems to me once u get into top tier territory its all down to personal taste and need. In my un-miced cover band I think the loudness, brashness even of my recently aquired New Beats is probably more appropriate but if I was fully miced...these would be stellar.

Tama Starclassic Bubinaga In Flat burgundy Metallic. 10”,12”,16” & 22”. Old stock that didn’t sell, so at a 32% discount, I could not pass that up. Should be here in a week.
Congrats ! Pics when it arrives 👍🏻. I was looking at some NOS Bubinga kits when I was searching for a kit but they were ridiculously overpriced .

Im always amazed when I see members of the forum finding amazing deals like this . Especially on discontinued gear like tama bb kits . I got a used 6 piece bb in mint condition at a decent price, but theres an identical kit to mine on reverb that with shipping would be $1,300 more than I paid and I believe it’s actually more than when new 😳. I’d expect the price to come down on it as I can’t see someone paying that but you never know 🤷🏻‍♂️. I always hear it’s a buyers market but when looking at new and used gear ,... generallyI’ve not really seen this to be true. But then again guys here find a great deal every now and again 🤔

Last edited:

yammyfan

Interesting. They are very fine sounding and very expensive too. Seems to me once u get into top tier territory its all down to personal taste and need. In my un-miced cover band I think the loudness, brashness even of my recently aquired New Beats is probably more appropriate but if I was fully miced...these would be stellar.
It will be interesting to hear what miking these will be like but I suppose I'll have to wait a while to find out.

In the meantime, they're superb without any amplification. The thinness of the top cymbal combined with the large surface area is proving to be a dynamite combo. Playing them on the inner surface yields a traditional hi-hat sound while playing the outer portion is a whole new ballgame as far as sounds go.

Super versatile hats if anybody is thinking about picking up a pair. (y)

Justinhub2003

Today’s 75 dollar find.

90’s (I think) Ludwig Black Galaxy Arcolite 14x5

Shell is in perfect condition, as are the lugs!

I completely disassembled it and cleaned it top to bottom. I had a Ludwig 85AC laying around so installed. Unfortunately I had to order a new butt plate because I hate the stock one and my P35 doesn’t fit.
Threw on some leather washers for the tension rods and pure sound snare wires

Just ordered some new hoops as well. I hate when rims are pitted. It’s a pit peave of mine you could say.

But spent less then a 100. Always wanted an acrolite for my collection

AB0B2A88-6637-42E1-B6B3-6A52720D7A22.jpeg