What's your latest purchase?

Jbravo

Don‘t use the black Evans pad with felt beaters - it will eat the felt up in short time! You can see the beginning of it on your picture... Use the clear one with felt or change the beater to plastic or wood.
that beater was only used for about two minutes before this went on...29C9B2E0-E9A7-4F44-9449-BA9A175B4C55.jpeg

gdmoore28

Gold Member
My wife and I both had doctors' appointments this morning, so I meandered into Guitar Center while she went shopping. I was the only customer in the store! It was rather spooky seeing Little Rock with so little traffic, and even the big-box stores were sparsely occupied. I saw only a few masks being worn, however.

Anyway, I picked up a stick and headed to the drum room to check out used cymbals. There were none. Not one. And there was only one used drum set on the floor. I asked the salesman what was going on, and he said that business had ground to a halt, with very few customers coming in, very few sales taking place, and nobody coming in to sell used gear to them. Not good.

The salesman offered to look in the back to scout for any used cymbals. I walked to the front of the store to slobber over a mint Rickenbacker 360-12 in FireGlow finish that hung high on the rack surrounded by a nice frame. Our store rarely gets Rickenbacker guitars in stock, especially prime used ones like this one, so when they do show up, it's almost like a rockstar has entered the house! The salesman returned and said exactly what I was thinking: "This won't be here long!" (the picture of this six-string is for reference only; it's not the guitar that was in the store.)

The salesman tells me that he could find only one used cymbal in the storage room, and produces a very clean 16" Zildjian K Dark Thin Crash to which he's assigned a very fair price. I looked it over very closely and told him I'd take it if the manager agreed to include sales taxes in the price. They hesitated for a while, then agreed.

I was hoping that the manager would decline the offer. I don't need the cymbal at all, even for a very fair price. And I certainly was not in the mood to explain to The Boss why I "needed" another cymbal that will do little more than look pretty on my unused (for the time) drumset. The closest thing to a "rational" excuse for buying it was that it was a Thin, the weight I was really seeking when I bought a 16" K Dark Medium-Thin last year. That's a really weak, weak excuse. But now that I've gotten it home and had a chance to bang on it next to the Medium-Thin cymbal, it's impossible to not recognize just how beautifully the two complement each other in subsequent strikes. So, it works very well in the cymbal mix that I have. There's that, I guess.Zildjian 16 K Crash Cymbals 003.JPG

GeeDeeEmm

Attachments

yammyfan

The salesman tells me that he could find only one used cymbal in the storage room, and produces a very clean 16" Zildjian K Dark Thin Crash to which he's assigned a very fair price. I looked it over very closely and told him I'd take it if the manager agreed to include sales taxes in the price. They hesitated for a while, then agreed.
Nice cymbal, in excellent condition!

Jbravo

My wife and I both had doctors' appointments this morning, so I meandered into Guitar Center while she went shopping. I was the only customer in the store! It was rather spooky seeing Little Rock with so little traffic, and even the big-box stores were sparsely occupied. I saw only a few masks being worn, however.

Anyway, I picked up a stick and headed to the drum room to check out used cymbals. There were none. Not one. And there was only one used drum set on the floor. I asked the salesman what was going on, and he said that business had ground to a halt, with very few customers coming in, very few sales taking place, and nobody coming in to sell used gear to them. Not good.

The salesman offered to look in the back to scout for any used cymbals. I walked to the front of the store to slobber over a mint Rickenbacker 360-12 in FireGlow finish that hung high on the rack surrounded by a nice frame. Our store rarely gets Rickenbacker guitars in stock, especially prime used ones like this one, so when they do show up, it's almost like a rockstar has entered the house! The salesman returned and said exactly what I was thinking: "This won't be here long!" (the picture of this six-string is for reference only; it's not the guitar that was in the store.)

I was hoping that the manager would decline the offer. I don't need the cymbal at all, even for a very fair price. And I certainly was not in the mood to explain to The Boss why I "needed" another cymbal that will do little more than look pretty on my unused (for the time) drumset. The closest thing to a "rational" excuse for buying it was that it was a Thin, the weight I was really seeking when I bought a 16" K Dark Medium-Thin last year. That's a really weak, weak excuse. But now that I've gotten it home and had a chance to bang on it next to the Medium-Thin cymbal, it's impossible to not recognize just how beautifully the two complement each other in subsequent strikes. So, it works very well in the cymbal mix that I have. There's that, I guess.View attachment 90866

GeeDeeEmm
Bet they’d make killer hats too...👍

Neilage

I began playing drums at age 10 and continued through college, playing with bands in local bars and frat parties.
After college, I got married, had kids, and didn't play for about 20 years. Eventually, the mid-life crisis started to kick in and I began to realize that I REALLY missed playing. About 3 years ago, I picked up an entry-level Pearl Forum Series kit on Craigslist.

Recently, my nephew convinced his parents to let him take drum lessons and join the school band, so I gave him my 5-piece Pearl Forum kit with some beginner Sabian B8s.

This presented me with the opportunity to upgrade! I realized I would get more bang for the buck from buying pre-owned, however, I decided to buy a brand new kit and cymbals as I've never owned drums or cymbals in pristine condition.

Here are my recently acquired toys:
* Gretsch Piano Black RN2-E8246 (7x10, 8x12, 14x16 FT, 18x22 BD)
* 18" Paiste Signature Full Crash
* 22" Paiste Formula 602 Classic Sounds Medium Ride
*1991 6.5x14 LM402 Supraphonic with Tone Control
I loved the tone Control of my old Acrolite. I replaced the P-85 throw off with a P86 and replaced the heads with Ambassadors. I was surprised it had zero pitting.

GRETSCH1.jpg
602.jpg
FULL CRASH2.jpg
Supra1.jpg
P88.jpg

yammyfan

I began playing drums at age 10 and continued through college, playing with bands in local bars and frat parties.
After college, I got married, had kids, and didn't play for about 20 years. Eventually, the mid-life crisis started to kick in and I began to realize that I REALLY missed playing. About 3 years ago, I picked up an entry-level Pearl Forum Series kit on Craigslist.

Recently, my nephew convinced his parents to let him take drum lessons and join the school band, so I gave him my 5-piece Pearl Forum kit with some beginner Sabian B8s.

This presented me with the opportunity to upgrade! I realized I would get more bang for the buck from buying pre-owned, however, I decided to buy a brand new kit and cymbals as I've never owned drums or cymbals in pristine condition.

I loved the tone Control of my old Acrolite. I replaced the P-85 throw off with a P86 and replaced the heads with Ambassadors. I was surprised it had zero pitting.
Stellar!

That must have set you back quite a bit.

It's worth it though, to have all-new stuff. I'm the same way. I much prefer new (y)

What are the other cymbals in the photo?

Neilage

Stellar!

That must have set you back quite a bit.

It's worth it though, to have all-new stuff. I'm the same way. I much prefer new (y)

What are the other cymbals in the photo?
20" Zildjian ZBT crash/ride: I know ZBT's get a bad rap, however, I followed the advice of many fellow posters and went with what sounded best to me at the time, within my "re-entry" budget. It has a nice, washy sustain in contrast to the pingy 22" Classic Sounds Medium Ride.
I hope to upgrade this cymbal to a 24" Giant Beats or 20" Paiste Signature Mellow Ride.

Initially, I bought a Paiste PST7 cymbal pack and my current setup includes the 16" crash and 14" hats. I hope to replace the hats with either vintage 404's, which I loved in college, or sound edge 2002s.

Also in the photo:
* PSTX DJs 45 ride 12"
* Stack of Wuhan 8" splash on top of a PSTX DJs 45 crash 12"

TJK

View attachment 90883
View attachment 90884
View attachment 90885
View attachment 90886
View attachment 90887
The p86 is so classy and the drums and cymbals as well. Nice

just picked this up off the marketplace. it's a 12x24 that the previous owner added legs to and painted. he's had it for 15 years, but didn't know much else about it. I did some research and it appears to be a Leedy (picture included for reference). the badge is missing unfortunately. it's in really good shape though. I'm going to try and strip it and see what's underneath.

IMG_7551.jpg IMG_7552.jpg IMG_7554.PNG

Last edited:

RickP

Gold Member
Picked Up a mint condition 18” Paiste 602 Modern Essentials crash before all this craziness started . Haven’t had a chance to gig with it yet as all my gigs have been cancelled for this month and potentially the next two as well it looks like .