What's your latest purchase?

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I don't see too many pieces long enough for a 14 inch diameter snare. Will it be all pieces, or is the picture deceptive.?
Yeah, they assemble the plies and then lay the plies up. The plies are made of segments that are micro sewn together. Once that is done is made like any other ply drum. Should be here tomorrow. We'll see.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Got a great deal on a new / open box 14" K Custom Special Dry hihat. Exactly what I needed; dry, dark, but still very crisp.

Last edited:

dwsabianguy

Okay, okay, I lied. I needed a couple more things to really truly totally complete the SS Cygnus II; I got five of those fancy-shmancy new PDP mic mount clamp things. Three 'rack tom' version and two 'floor tom' version for short and long arms; the idea is to mic the entire left side of the kit sans overhead and timbale mic with just one stand. (Well, I can probably clamp a mic to the bottom of that particular stand...) So that's three concert toms, a hihat mic, and a stereo pair for the glockenspiel. I've got a 9000 mic boom arm and am hoping these will all fit on that.

EDIT: Got them in this morning. Works like charm! Tight spaces, but it melts into the figure of the rest of the kit.

Image may contain: one or more people and people on stage

Last edited:

Frosticles

Silver Member
Hmmmmmmmmm, Er, Yet again :)

Mapex Pro M "Bonham style" in Caramel Fade.

24x18
13x10
16x16
18x16 (Doubles up as a bass drum with riser kit.
14x6.5 matching snare.

fullsizeoutput_1300 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

Also a Crush Sublime E3 Maple which I received as a trade in for a Premier Artist Maple. (Ignore the Pearl Logo Head as I am just messing with it at the mo as I am not keen on the finish.

8DE7AF5D-53F2-456E-90C1-65E64B3721CB by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_1302 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
What do you think of the Black Hole so far?
Mostly tried it on it's own, but had a bit of a test on a snare and floor tom last night. I generally tune sort of medium high and I think I was able to get the BH pretty darn close to the feel of my 14" floor tom.

I'm mostly a moongel user when it coms to pads lately.

As a complete kit thing it's probably superior to the Super-Pads. Haven't tried them side by side yet. Sort of picked it up because when need some at work and I'll probably go with the Black Holes for that. With the heavy mesh and dot in the middle they feel pretty good. Maybe choose a Super-Pad on the bass drum? Not sure yet.

Snare needs to be dampened or it'll just rattle all day long, but that's an easy fix. I can put a Super-Pad underneath the Black Hole which I saw some guy on youtube did, but you can probably use anything.

Last edited:

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Mostly tried it on it's own, but had a bit of a test on a snare and floor tom last night. I generally tune sort of medium high and I think I was able to get the BH pretty darn close to the feel of my 14" floor tom.

I'm mostly a moongel user when it coms to pads lately.

As a complete kit thing it's probably superior to the Super-Pads. Haven't tried them side by side yet. Sort of picked it up because when need some at work and I'll probably go with the Black Holes for that. With the heavy mesh and dot in the middle they feel pretty good. Maybe choose a Super-Pad on the bass drum? Not sure yet.

Snare needs to be dampened or it'll just rattle all day long, but that's an easy fix. I can put a Super-Pad underneath the Black Hole which I saw some guy on youtube did, but you can probably use anything.
This is really helpful, thanks! I think I'll give the 14" Black Hole a whirl.

Related question: Do the Super Pads for bass drums have an extended platform for the pedal to clamp onto. Or, is there enough space to use the bass drum hoop as usual?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Jason

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
This is really helpful, thanks! I think I'll give the 14" Black Hole a whirl.

Related question: Do the Super Pads for bass drums have an extended platform for the pedal to clamp onto. Or, is there enough space to use the bass drum hoop as usual?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Jason

Since it's cut out in that bat shape it's not in the way of the hoop. If it's something you use a lot you'll want to do something about it though, as you'll loose about an inch of pedal travel beacuse of the thickness of the pad. For the board I use on my practice kit I measured the thickness, so it's the same as my regular bass drum.

danondrums

@Stroker and @Steady Freddy - Thanks for the positive feedback on it. I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger on an internet snare having never played a stainless steel one, but seems like it should be drier brass and I find the DW hardware to be very reliable so I went for it. I'll get it Friday and I imagine I'll be satisfied.

Stroker

Platinum Member
@Stroker and @Steady Freddy - Thanks for the positive feedback on it. I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger on an internet snare having never played a stainless steel one, but seems like it should be drier brass and I find the DW hardware to be very reliable so I went for it. I'll get it Friday and I imagine I'll be satisfied.
Hey, Dan-O!

I'm confident you'll be elated with the sound.

I bought a DW Collector's Series, 6.5x14 Black Nickel over Brass a few years back, and the sound that drum produced was insane, so crisp, rich, and full.

Currently have two other DW Collector's Series, 6.5x14 snare drums, one Brass (3mm solid, no seam shell), the other Bronze (same 3mm solid, no seam shell), and both drums are out of this world. Sound, craftsmanship, finish, beautiful drums.

I've always fancied chrome/stainless snare drums, and yours looks like a dream. Can't wait to hear how you like it.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Since it's cut out in that bat shape it's not in the way of the hoop. If it's something you use a lot you'll want to do something about it though, as you'll loose about an inch of pedal travel beacuse of the thickness of the pad. For the board I use on my practice kit I measured the thickness, so it's the same as my regular bass drum.
Got it. Thanks again for your feedback. I'm going to give both of those (Black Hole for snare, Super Pad for bass drum...or foot tom :) a go.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well broke the bank and bought some new wires for one of my snares LOL. Trying the PureSound for the first time. The PureSound Custom Pro Brass snare wires 20 strand. Sound awesome! Brass has a nice crispness and definition.