What's your latest purchase?

What do you think of the Black Hole so far?

Mostly tried it on it's own, but had a bit of a test on a snare and floor tom last night. I generally tune sort of medium high and I think I was able to get the BH pretty darn close to the feel of my 14" floor tom.

I'm mostly a moongel user when it coms to pads lately.

As a complete kit thing it's probably superior to the Super-Pads. Haven't tried them side by side yet. Sort of picked it up because when need some at work and I'll probably go with the Black Holes for that. With the heavy mesh and dot in the middle they feel pretty good. Maybe choose a Super-Pad on the bass drum? Not sure yet.

Snare needs to be dampened or it'll just rattle all day long, but that's an easy fix. I can put a Super-Pad underneath the Black Hole which I saw some guy on youtube did, but you can probably use anything.

Last edited:
5.5"x14" DW Stainless Steel Snare on the way!
Intended to be a gigging workhorse.

lgbfp5ggtwncmxpztnkl.jpg

Mostly tried it on it's own, but had a bit of a test on a snare and floor tom last night. I generally tune sort of medium high and I think I was able to get the BH pretty darn close to the feel of my 14" floor tom.

I'm mostly a moongel user when it coms to pads lately.

As a complete kit thing it's probably superior to the Super-Pads. Haven't tried them side by side yet. Sort of picked it up because when need some at work and I'll probably go with the Black Holes for that. With the heavy mesh and dot in the middle they feel pretty good. Maybe choose a Super-Pad on the bass drum? Not sure yet.

Snare needs to be dampened or it'll just rattle all day long, but that's an easy fix. I can put a Super-Pad underneath the Black Hole which I saw some guy on youtube did, but you can probably use anything.

This is really helpful, thanks! I think I'll give the 14" Black Hole a whirl.

Related question: Do the Super Pads for bass drums have an extended platform for the pedal to clamp onto. Or, is there enough space to use the bass drum hoop as usual?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Jason

This is really helpful, thanks! I think I'll give the 14" Black Hole a whirl.

Related question: Do the Super Pads for bass drums have an extended platform for the pedal to clamp onto. Or, is there enough space to use the bass drum hoop as usual?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Jason

Since it's cut out in that bat shape it's not in the way of the hoop. If it's something you use a lot you'll want to do something about it though, as you'll loose about an inch of pedal travel beacuse of the thickness of the pad. For the board I use on my practice kit I measured the thickness, so it's the same as my regular bass drum.

Paiste 2002, 20" Power Ride.

Should pair nicely with my 2002, 22" Power Ride.

@Stroker and @Steady Freddy - Thanks for the positive feedback on it. I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger on an internet snare having never played a stainless steel one, but seems like it should be drier brass and I find the DW hardware to be very reliable so I went for it. I'll get it Friday and I imagine I'll be satisfied.

@Stroker and @Steady Freddy - Thanks for the positive feedback on it. I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger on an internet snare having never played a stainless steel one, but seems like it should be drier brass and I find the DW hardware to be very reliable so I went for it. I'll get it Friday and I imagine I'll be satisfied.
Hey, Dan-O!

I'm confident you'll be elated with the sound.

I bought a DW Collector's Series, 6.5x14 Black Nickel over Brass a few years back, and the sound that drum produced was insane, so crisp, rich, and full.

Currently have two other DW Collector's Series, 6.5x14 snare drums, one Brass (3mm solid, no seam shell), the other Bronze (same 3mm solid, no seam shell), and both drums are out of this world. Sound, craftsmanship, finish, beautiful drums.

I've always fancied chrome/stainless snare drums, and yours looks like a dream. Can't wait to hear how you like it.

Since it's cut out in that bat shape it's not in the way of the hoop. If it's something you use a lot you'll want to do something about it though, as you'll loose about an inch of pedal travel beacuse of the thickness of the pad. For the board I use on my practice kit I measured the thickness, so it's the same as my regular bass drum.

Got it. Thanks again for your feedback. I'm going to give both of those (Black Hole for snare, Super Pad for bass drum...or foot tom :) a go.

Well broke the bank and bought some new wires for one of my snares LOL. Trying the PureSound for the first time. The PureSound Custom Pro Brass snare wires 20 strand. Sound awesome! Brass has a nice crispness and definition.

Pulled the trigger a year earlier than planned on a DAW system and several computer upgrades. Still waiting on a few more items to come in.
Let the learning curve begin!

DAW1LoRes.jpgDAW2LoRes.jpg

Which DAW

Either you're really on a roll, or you're developing a problem. ;)

Got enough room for all those sets you've been getting lately?

I decided to go with Presonus Studio One Pro. I think it will be more than ample for where I want to end up. I've
installed it on my video production computer (Mac OS) as it should be very stable with my current computer set up.

Gearwise, I'm fortunate enough to have a modest shell bank, but I only have room for one kit to be set up at a time,
otherwise no multiple kits. Snares . . . that's a different story.

I've had a game plan for the last decade to acquire a list of specific gear before I retire. I'm just a little bit ahead of schedule
on gear and I should be in a good position for a "soft" retirement next year. I really enjoy working, but for the first time I'm
looking forward to more balance. I want to spend time with my family as well as concentrate on writing, woodshedding
and learning the ins and outs of recording drums. That should keep me off of the streets.

Which DAW?

Either you're really on a roll, or you're developing a problem. ;)

Got enough room for all those sets you've been getting lately?

The Conservatory is gradually filling up.............:D

Pano Photo so the shell isn'y really an egg......... :D

Untitled by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

Just decided to join the rest of the modern world and retired my Tascam MK414 cassette 4-track and replaced it with a Tascam US 1800 interface . Also, my bro who is an IT guy, hooked me up with a new PC for the recording rig-Windows 10 Pro/Intel Core i3 3.4 gHz/12 GB Ram/465 GB Hard Drive. Got a couple new DAWs to play with/figure out; Reaper & Cakewalk.
Also, came across a great deal I couldn't pass up and pulled the trigger on a Tama Speed Cobra 910. I have to say, right out of the gate with minimal adjustments, I'm really impressed-very smooth & quick, and has a lot of power for such a light feeling pedal. Can only get better as the driveshaft has about 1" of slop in the universals, gonna replace with my Trick.Recording-1.jpgTama-Speed-Cob-1.jpg

Back