What's Your Jazz cymbals?

ronyd

Silver Member
For the jazz players, please share what you use and cymbal placement setup?

was thinking Paiste:

Formula 602 15“ Medium Hi-Hat
Signature Traditionals 18“ Thin Crash
Twenty Masters Collection 20“ Dark Crash Ride
Twenty Masters Collection 22“ Dark Ride

any thoughts please

Last edited:

Dignan

Silver Member
I'm only practicing/learning jazz at this point but I love Jazz oriented cymbals. Here are mine

14" New Beats (not exclusively for jazz but they work)
21" K Custom Special Dry Ride
For a left size I either use a 20" K Custom Dark Ride (sometimes with rivets) or a 18" K custom Flat Ride.

I also have 13" K custom hybrid hats but they tend to be a little bright and crisp for jazz. Again, I'm only a jazz "wanna be" right now.

ronyd

Silver Member
I'm only practicing/learning jazz at this point but I love Jazz oriented cymbals. Here are mine

14" New Beats (not exclusively for jazz but they work)
21" K Custom Special Dry Ride
For a left size I either use a 20" K Custom Dark Ride (sometimes with rivets) or a 18" K custom Flat Ride.

I also have 13" K custom hybrid hats but they tend to be a little bright and crisp for jazz. Again, I'm only a jazz "wanna be" right now.

same here buddy, trying to focus on jazz myself. Have jazz buddies and see you what use all the time. Always good to get other inputs here also.

was thinking this Paiste setup:

geezer

Bosphorus Hammer series:
14" hi-hats
20" ride (left side, it crashes well too)
22" ride (drilled for 3 rivets)

I also have an 18" Bosphorus Antique series crash that I really like but I've been all about bigger cymbals recently.

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
I very rarely dabble in jazz (I'm a bit of a pretender to the genre), but when I do, I use:

Meinl Byzance Extra Dry 20" Dual Crash/Ride
Meinl Byzance Extra Dry 14" Medium Hats
Zildjian 24" K Light Ride
Sabian 18" Artisan Crash

I mostly use these cymbals in other genres, but they do work out for the occasional jazz jam.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I don't play jazz, but a lot of it certainly moves me the right way! I'm curious, what is the purpose for using a left side ride and a right side ride? I'm suspecting that one of them is used as a crash/ride and the other specifically as a ride????

GeeDeeEmm

porter

Platinum Member
The Paiste Twenty Masters series are great. They should work if you're offering that set as something you might buy. They also have crashes and hats in that series now, if you haven't seen.

On my own I use (all meinl):
14" Byzance Dark Spectrum hats
18" Symphonic Suspended (as crash)
21" Byzance Extra Dry Transition ride
plus maybe an 8" Byzance Traditional splash.

In the college jazz band I use the Zildjian 14" Quick Beats and Bosphorus 20" New Orleans ride they have and add my Symphonic Suspended to the mix.

I don't play jazz, but a lot of it certainly moves me the right way! I'm curious, what is the purpose for using a left side ride and a right side ride? I'm suspecting that one of them is used as a crash/ride and the other specifically as a ride????

Usually it's just to have more sound sources. Personally, I shy away from using cymbals that don't have crashable properties for jazz, and just think of all of them as cymbals. My Symphonic Suspended has great rideability too.

ronyd

Silver Member

GeeDeeEmm

yes, te 20 is a crash ride and the 22 is a ride

toddbishop

Platinum Member
It varies, but lately I've been using 14" Paiste Sound Creation Dark Sound Edge hihats, an off-brand Turkish hand hammered 18" medium crash, and whichever ride cymbal I grab-- 20" Agop Turk Jazz Ride, 22" Paiste SC or 602 Dark Ride, or 1960s 20" A. Zildjian Medium-Heavy. Mostly heavier than most people like these days.

I'm curious, what is the purpose for using a left side ride and a right side ride? I'm suspecting that one of them is used as a crash/ride and the other specifically as a ride????

It's sort of a thing in jazz that all of your cymbals are ride cymbals, and all of them are crash cymbals. It's not universal, but it's a thing.

RickP

Gold Member
I rotate a few different cymbal sets and mix and match from the following for my Jazz gigs :

Hihats
14" Paiste reissue 602 Soundedge
14" Paiste Traditional Medium light
14" Sabian HH Sizzle hats
14" Sabian HH Duo hats
14" Sabian Artisan

Crashes
18" Paiste Traditional thin
16" and 18" Paiste reissue 602 thin
18" Bosphorus Master Vintage
20" Paiste Traditional Medium Light swish ( used as both a crash and ride)
16" and 18" Sabian Artisan crashes

Rides
20" Amedia Legend Sizzle ride
19" Amedia Legend flat ride
21" Zildjian K Custom Organic ride
20" Paiste Traditional Medium Heavy ride
20" Paiste reissue 602 Medium ride
22" Sabian Artisan Medium with Sound Control flange.

I just discovered the Amedia line of cymbals at the 2015 Chicago Vintage Drum show and was really impressed with these cymbals. The Sizzle ride and flat ride were particularly outstanding and I had to grab them.
The K Custom Organic ride gets a lot of use for my Big Band gigs

Brian

Gold Member
I sold off most of my gear, what remains (all-purpose)
21" K custom dark complex
18" 60's A medium
14" K custom dark hats

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Istanbul Agop 21" Sultan Jazz Ride
Pre Split Istanbul Agop 18" medium weight Traditional on my left.
22" Paiste 2oo2 ride with 8 custom drilled rivets on my far right.
Istanbul Agop Sultan 14" hi-hats.
11" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid splash.

Whoops, I just realized that in this photo I was using a 10" Zildjian A series splash instead of the K that I mentioned above.

Attachments

• 625640_4416398380365_2095400978_n.jpg
    625640_4416398380365_2095400978_n.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,734

pgm554

Platinum Member
For the jazz players, please share what you use and cymbal placement setup?

was thinking Paiste:

any thoughts please

I use:
20in Sabian XS for main ride.
20in Zildjian flat K custom light.
Paiste 18in china prototype (T20)
Sabian 14in prototype high hats

dmacc_2

A selection of Bosphorus (Antiques, New Orleans, Grooves, Traditionals and a Master) Agop (Sigs) & Paiste (Masters and Signature Trads). Have one vintage Zildjian K left as well.

A few K Conns have me currently interested in modern Zildjian. Not sure if I'll ever purchase any though.

Sizes run from 18" to 22". All my hats are 14".

ronyd

Silver Member
It's funny, I reviewed a youtube with Ian Paice visiting a store testing out the Paiste metal line at the time. When it came down to the rides, he said just because it says Ride on the cymbal doesn;t mean its' not crashable. pretty funny the way he said it....

It varies, but lately I've been using 14" Paiste Sound Creation Dark Sound Edge hihats, an off-brand Turkish hand hammered 18" medium crash, and whichever ride cymbal I grab-- 20" Agop Turk Jazz Ride, 22" Paiste SC or 602 Dark Ride, or 1960s 20" A. Zildjian Medium-Heavy. Mostly heavier than most people like these days.

It's sort of a thing in jazz that all of your cymbals are ride cymbals, and all of them are crash cymbals. It's not universal, but it's a thing.

sciomako

Silver Member
Kerope 15" hats
left side - 20" Dry Complex II
right side - 22" Dry Complex first generation with one rivet
(this cymbal is sometimes substituted with a 22" K con Med Thin Low depending on the gig)

I could break down the grams if you wish ... but most people don't care about that stuff the way I do

Do you have any videos with you playing the 20" Dry Complex II and the 22" K Con? Wanted to hear how they sound together.

p.s. If you know the weights, I don't mind to know. ;-p

Thanks.

vik

Agop Epoch 14" HH
left side:
K Dry Complex 22" Thin Ride first generation
Istanbul Agop 30 Anniversary 18" Crash
right side:
K Med Thin Low 22" Ride
Agop SE TW 22" Ride

Last edited:

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Hi hats - 13" Matt Bettis Strong Edge
Right Side - 24" Matt Bettis Mini Bell
Left Side - 20" Spizzichino (with rivets)
Far Right Side - 22" Spizzichino Swish (with rivets)

GJS

ZildjianLover

All Zildjian except for china.

Rides: 3714 g 22" K Con Prototype and 20" K
Hi-hats: 14" A New Beats
Crashes: 16" and 18" A Mediums
China: 18" Han Chi