What's your favorite "Blues" song?

SomeBadDrummer

Countless songs with 'Blues' in the title, many have been covered numerous times by different artists.

Here are some of my favourites in no particular order:

Deacon Blues - Steely Dan
Travelling Riverside Blues - Zeppelin
Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
Bell Bottom Blues - Derek & the Dominos
Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
Georgia Blues - Jimi Hendrix

What are some of your favourites?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Gonna tell you a story, about the house rent blues.

I know it isnt the title, but that's what I'm going with.

someguy01

Red House
Anything from John Lee Hooker
Or, if it has to have "blue" in the title, I'm going with the Orgy cover of Blue Monday.

moodman

Dakota with a great band, Purdy, Groove Holmes, Cornell DuPree among others

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I am not a fan of the blues...probably the only one, I know...

I play a TON of them in my country band, but until I got into that band, I went 45 years without really ever paying attention to the blues. I know they influence a ton of stuff that I do like, but straight out blues is just boring to me. I play it in the band I am in b/c I like the guys I play with, I like it when other people are having fun listening to what they like and I wanted to expand my style knowledge...

I DEFINITELY respect and am fascinated by the history of the blues in American culture, so when I play, I am always trying to do that justice as well

not trying to throw shade, but also just curious to see of anyone else is not a blues fan....honestly, other than real young kids, I have NEVER met someone who doesn't love the blues....

MntnMan62

So difficult to name a "favorite". But I will say that I've been really digging Gary Clark, Jr. lately. I'd love to play his stuff in a band.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I always liked playing "sleepy time time" by Cream, even though I don't do the same as the original, blues is pretty flexible IMO and I like my way better lol.

SomeBadDrummer

Red House
Anything from John Lee Hooker
Or, if it has to have "blue" in the title, I'm going with the Orgy cover of Blue Monday.
I have never heard this cover, it's great

SomeBadDrummer

Is "Folsom Prison Blues" a Blues song? Sounds like a Country song to me

Technically... it's just a song... :LOL:

but the original post/question was:
Countless songs with 'Blues' in the title, many have been covered numerous times by different artists.
What are some of your favourites?

prokofi5

A few favorites that come to mind:
Come on in my Kitchen - Robert Johnson
Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker
Crossroads - Cream version

If we're talking anything in blues form:
Misterioso - Thelonius Monk

And if it has to have blues in the title:
All Blues - Miles Davis

SomeBadDrummer

I am not a fan of the blues...probably the only one, I know...

I play a TON of them in my country band, but until I got into that band, I went 45 years without really ever paying attention to the blues. I know they influence a ton of stuff that I do like, but straight out blues is just boring to me. I play it in the band I am in b/c I like the guys I play with, I like it when other people are having fun listening to what they like and I wanted to expand my style knowledge...

I DEFINITELY respect and am fascinated by the history of the blues in American culture, so when I play, I am always trying to do that justice as well

not trying to throw shade, but also just curious to see of anyone else is not a blues fan....honestly, other than real young kids, I have NEVER met someone who doesn't love the blues....
Good points all around, there’s nothing wrong with not being into it.
Ive tried many times to get into some genres that so many others love (death metal and hip hop for instance), I know that there are some amazing songs and musicians in those genres just never clicked with me. Maybe I’ll find a way into those sounds but for now I’m ok with where I am with that.
I think Blues are so universally appreciated and loved because of the inherent underlying themes...sadness, struggles or grief...human emotions recognized, verbalized and vocalized through music with feeling and (sometimes) very real pain and suffering (as @someguy01 mentioned about hip hop) It’s what makes the blues so heartfelt and everymans song regardless of race color or creed.