• DW

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Premier

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 10 11.8%

• Total voters
Tama, then DW.
Sonor ProLite snares (from what relatively few snares I've played).

Pearl for me, with Tama a close second

God literally no love for mapex at all. Do they have a bad reputation generally or what?

they came on strong about 10 years ago, and then sort of plateaued....I don't think they are bad, but just not doing a lot of heavy marketing?

God literally no love for mapex at all. Do they have a bad reputation generally or what?
The Saturns are great.

Mapex does some goofy stuff with colors, hardware, badges, etc. I dont think Mapex really has themselves an identity (not Mydentity) amongst the other big manufacturers.

FWIW I chose Pearl because I've been playing them since 1992. I've just recently (July) acquired a Premier kit, and havent touched the Pearl's since.

Tama for best quality to price value ratio and great Finishes. Oh and amazing Hardware.
I mean just look at the Superstar classic line! pro quality drums at a great price!
If Money is no object then sonor SQ2 . Although ive never owned them, they look and sound amazing. too expensive for me

Last edited:
Now all of my drums are Mapex, so that is what I chose. I also like Pearl and Gretsch. Peace and goodwill.

I Voted Tama because that’s what I like for build and finishes and chose for a new to me kit 5 years back . It just as easily could have been the sonor kit I missed out on . I’d play any on the list . They’re all nice and make decent stuff . But if I had the cash it’d still be Tama or Sonor first for me then probably gretsch followed by pearl, etc…. etc….. .

Everyone’s tastes are different not really any better than another’s and that’s a good thing !

You could add Slingerland, Leedy and Rogers.

The Saturns are great.

Mapex does some goofy stuff with colors, hardware, badges, etc. I dont think Mapex really has themselves an identity (not Mydentity) amongst the other big manufacturers.

FWIW I chose Pearl because I've been playing them since 1992. I've just recently (July) acquired a Premier kit, and havent touched the Pearl's since.
The first kit I played was in school and was a very battered rotten looking premier kit. And by god it sounded amazing. I wish I'd paid more attention to what it actually was at the time. I do remember one unusual feature of it was the floor Tom was a bit smaller and set to a cymbal stand I think and not on legs. Which apparently makes for better resonance.

Last edited:
I've chosen Pearl, but that's mostly based on having 2 kits and various bits of hardware that feel like 'home'. My pedals though are Tama and i use various brands of hardware mixed together (Yamaha, Pearl, Gibraltar, Sonor). I have a slight preference for Pearl, but if i would have to pick out a new kit today chances are high I might go with something totally different than Pearl. But since have a slight preference, i voted Pearl.

Tama and Yamaha for me. Though I've owned a lot of different brands over the years, their drums just appeal the most to me.

I like the older Heritage brands most of all .
Gretsch is my #1 - I have owned more Gretsch kits than any other brand . I have never heard a better bass drum than a Gretsch USA Custom .

Ludwig was a close second for me - classic drums with a classic sound .

Back