What's YOUR drumming practice routine?

lindsayannemusic

Just curious as to what you all do while practicing, how long, order of things etc... Sharing any tips are 100% welcome as well!

Last edited:

Numberless

Platinum Member
This is my practice schedule for July (this month I don't get to play much, maybe an hour a day at the most so I decided to work on maintaining my skills till the August semester starts)

1) Stick Control p.12-13
2) Stickings (Berklee Book) - Paradiddle Orchestrations 1-2
3) The New Breed - Systems 8-9 Melodies 2A-4B (I find these are the melodies with most musical value)
4) Chart Reading Workbook - Track 11
5) Art of Bop - First four playalongs
6) Beyond Bop - Picture 3 Full transcription
7) Drummer's Workshop- Ch. 2 ex. 3-3C
8) Horacio's book - Ch. 2 p. 26-27
9) Latin Playalongs

I spend atleast 20 minutes in each section and work on 4-5 sections a day, the next day I work on the ones that I missed and so on. Some days I forget about all this and just jam out to classic jazz records. While this may seem like a lot of stuff, I think it evens out when you consider it's for the whole month.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Benny Greb
Virgil Donati (db freedom)
Dave Dicenso

and I just got stick control a few weeks ago. I was doing the Tommy Igoe great hands previously, it's very good but I thought I'd see what the all the fuss was about with stick control.

Sometimes I'll just play beats/solos and avoid any routine just to let the creativity flow.

mikeyhanson

Silver Member
Here's my practice/soundcheck routine:

1. Stretches and shakeouts. This usually lasts 10 minutes or so. Nothing strenuous and no over-stretching. Mostly loosening and warming. I try to do this before setting up the kit, if I have to set it up.
2. Memory check. This is mostly to make sure I've got the setup right. I sit at the kit, ready to play, and tap each drum and cymbal a few times to remember the contact points. It's like my own personal calibration system.
3. Tuning confirmation.
4. "Warm Up Song"...I have a thing I do. It's almost always the same and has me warmed up by the time I'm finished with it. It starts with a straight 4/4 beat, kick snare hat, mid-tempo. Nothing flashy during the entire "song". Playing the beat, finding the pocket. Once I'm confortable, I'll start adding ghost notes and kick variations. Then come a few single-stroke fills, and by the time a few minutes roll around, the beat has morphed from simple to Garabaldi [well....y'knowwhatImean]....then, a nice, flowing double-stroke roll on the snare for a bit, a few special fills, and it's finished.
[Our soundguy, Guy and I have worked it out so that by the time I'm halfway through it, he's pretty much got levels, and I might add a few single toms to move things along if he's ahead of me. He likes doing it this way as well, as he can hear the kit together and work faster. Then, if there's a glaring problem, we single it out once I'm finished. But usually, once my 4-5 minute "song" is over, the drums are checked.]

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I don't practice everyday, but I try to play everyday...

My practice schedule is anything but various, from practicing rudiments, focussing on a particular limb's technique, playing to a metronome, playing along CD's, improvisations, exploring new ideas on the kit, coordination exercises, practicing feels and dynamics in various music setting, etc, it's endless, no routine as such, whatever I feel like working or playing at any given time, a typical practice session generally last a couple of hours.

Sometimes also, I pick up a special "good vibe" while listening to a particular song or drummer which inspire me to play and develop the said "good vibe".

+1 on Benny Greb's The Language of Drumming, this DVD has inspired me in many many ways.

Elpecs

For now I'm just playing and improvising on different time feels and being aware of what I'm doing, understanding the phrasing, being consistent time wise and dynamic wise and being relaxed while doing that. And lot's of UR phrasings from Dicenso!!!