What's with The Who?

The Who's current drummer, Scott Devours, was actually my inspiration for finally buying a drum kit and starting lessons. Saw him live with Roger Daltrey in Jan. of 2010 and he was spectacular, as was Daltrey, who still has that amazing voice. He opened for Clapton and blew Clapton out of the water that night. That same year I saw Narada Michael Walden with Jeff Beck and those two drummers are mainly responsible for me being here today.

Amazing music, amazing vocals, and amazing song-writing...what's not to like?

I bet the late Scott Halpin was the luckiest Who fan ever... going to a Who gig and been called upon from the audience to replace their drummer for 2 numbers...got a Who Jacket (It was stolen later on)......

their performance at Woodstock killed. Keith was on fire, and Pete was equally amazing that night.

Well....there are two current threads about the Who and there famous drummer, so they must have done something right.

I saw them live, with Moon, and they were an incredible live act. Never the same two nights running so any gig you saw was a unique moment in time. Moon was captivating to watch play. Raw power, drive, and totally unpredictable. Magic.

I think the best possible replies have already been posted, I won't try to better them.

I'll just say that I completely agree with Opentune, WhoIsTony and Larryace.

Especially the first post by Opentune.

How do you guys always find the right choice of words to reply to a post before I've even read it?

did you ever get to see them with Moonie uncle L ?

I know you are just about the right age to have

No, I never got to see a Who show. Some friends of mine did and they talked about it in God-like terms. They were just in complete awe.

did you ever get to see them with Moonie uncle L ?

I know you are just about the right age to have

I saw them with Moonie 3 times.Twice at the Fillmore East,When they did Tommy.Thats the first time I heard Moonie or Roger say ," ave a little respect,it's a fuc&in Opera",and once at the Forest Hills,or maybe it was the Singer Bowl,in 71,right after Who's Next came out.I was just amazed how Moonie could play that intensly,for that long.That show was just electric.The whole place just erupted,when the synth intro to "Won't Get Fooled Again",started to play,as well as the intro to "Pinball Wizard".You didn't even have to light up.And all for 7.50 US

I also saw them at Radio City for the 89 reunion tour,with Simon Phillips in the drum chair,and who was impressive,but Keith was Keith

I also agree with Larry.Daltry,has one of the best screams in Rock.Long live rock.

Steve B

Last edited:
I remember the Dec 17, 1979 TIME Magazine issue........featuring Kenny on the cover...but talks a lot about Moonie in the feature section. (Iran was on Topic.. still then )

Attachments

• Time Magazine.jpg
    Time Magazine.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 513
Great band...perhaps over-rated to some extent. But a great band.

Not much time for Townshend to be honest. Can't look at him anymore if I'm honest after the internet 'thing'.

I'm not a fetishist for Keith Moon...I'm not quite sure I 'get it'. But one things for sure, if I'm writing a list of my top 10 favourite ever albums, two of the Who's are in there (Tommy and Quadrophenia)....no question

I just a CD copy of Live at Leeds that has the original vinyl song line up.

Yes, I already have the expanded remastered version with all the extra songs, but I often feel nostalgic for the original shorter version. There was something just magical about just having those few songs. And why not, Pete hand picked them for that reason.

I can't really listen to em. They do absolutely nothing for me, except make me cringe with their jokey Englishness. Just IMO, like.

How do you guys always find the right choice of words to reply to a post before I've even read it?

Because we're all in different time zones.

Being on West Coast of N America, the meat and potatoes of a thread is usually done by the time I wake up, have morning coffee and log on Drummerworld.

I can't explain it well but The Who are a sensation who had an amazing journey and they have no substitute.

But I digress ... anyway, anyhow ... music must change over time and sadly the song is over, but behind those blue eyes is more than a man with money but one of the most important voices of my generation and a success story, you better you bet!

On a more personal note, I wouldn't say any of them was a real good looking boy, though that could be a trick of the light. Or is it in my head?

I can't explain it well but The Who are a sensation who had an amazing journey and they have no substitute. Sure, none of them could be thought of as a real good looking boy, though that could be a trick of the light. Or is it in my head?

But I digress ... anyway, anyhow ... music must change over time and sadly the song is over, but behind those blue eyes is more than a man with money but one of the most important voices of my generation and a success story, you better you bet!
Groan ;)

clever girl :)

The Who probably had three latent geniuses in the band....to really appreciate what they brought to the table probably requires years of listening and reflection. It's sometimes easy to take something for granted when it has been so available for so long.

Back