What's up with cymbal prices in canada?

jondrumming

Sabian - About the same prices as the US (same number, I'm not counting the exchange)

Zildjian - Strangely cheaper?

Paiste - Mind-bogglingly expensive, I'm thinking way overpriced?

Meinl - Pretty much the same story as Paiste, weirdly expensive...

I emailed a drum shop here in Toronto about some cymbal prices from Zildjian, Paiste and Meinl, these are the selling prices they gave me:

Zildjian

14" A Custom Hats ------291.99

16" A Custom Crash -------175.95

17" A Custom Crash--------192.99

18" A Custom Crash--------206.99

22" A Custom Ride----------284.99

18" A custom china -------214.99

Paiste

Signature Dark Crisp Hats 14---- 799.99

Sig Full Crash 17-----------572.00

Sig Full Crash 19-----------664.00 (almost 700 for one crash???! how is this more expensive than a 22" ride?!)

Sig Dark Metal Ride 22---- 609.95

Meinl

Byzance Dark Hats 14-----449.99

Byzance Dark Crash 17---319.99

Byzance Dark Ride 21---------475.00

Byzance Dark Stadium Ride 22----------520.00

And I don't blame the shop for this, they're doing their job; every other drum store i've gone to has more or less the same weird price fluctuations! Does anyone else in Canada know anything about this? Pedal prices in Canada are through the roof, DW 5002s are $550, even Iron Cobras are $450. Trick Big Foots are $1050, Axis A Longboards are $800!

And STARCLASSICS! I couldn't believe it when I saw it... A 4-piece Tama Starclassic B/B shell pack (NO SNARE INCLUDED) for.....

$3500. Whats the deal, could anyone else in Canada shed some light on this please :p

Were these quotes from a independent shop or one of the big Canadian chains such as L+M?

Some of those prices are totally INSANE for individual pies or for a pair of hats IMO......

Were these quotes from a independent shop or one of the big Canadian chains such as L+M?

Some of those prices are totally INSANE for individual pies or for a pair of hats IMO......

Nope, not an independent shop, its from Steve's Music (there's one in Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal)

Those look like list prices to me..

See, that's what I thought, but these are pretty much the same prices as the stickers on the actual cymbals themselves at the store...

Nope, not an independent shop, its from Steve's Music (there's one in Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal)

See, that's what I thought, but these are pretty much the same prices as the stickers on the actual cymbals themselves at the store...

Well if they are indeed the "store" {customer} prices some listed are simply OUTRAGOUS in price in my view.

Either the markup is higher on them at that chain or current cymbal prices on some of the "Big 4" offerings have gone completely through the roof in the Great White North.

Those Paiste prices are definitely retail. They're double what I see the same cymbals for down here in the US.

Can you Canadians buy online from places like Memphis, Music 123, Mass Music, Musiciansfriend, etc?

Those Paiste prices are definitely retail. They're double what I see the same cymbals for down here in the US.

Can you Canadians buy online from places like Memphis, Music 123, Mass Music, Musiciansfriend, etc?

You could but tack on the exchange rate, duty, cartage fees ....... etc...etc...etc....

Speaking of the exchange rate our dollar is at 93 cents US right now BUT we're still getting ripped off at being charged and paying the price on goods based on the US dollar when our dollar was 70 cents or so quite some time ago.

Think i'm kidding....... I found a drum product listed online for $8.00 US. I asked the nearest L+M music store if the could get it in. Drum department manager wrote back oh sure for $15 bucks Canadian. No response from me on that order to say the least......

Probably the same out of wack exhange rate scenario on the seriously way over the top overpriced store prices in Canada for Paiste cymbals shown at the beginning of this thread.

Back