what's this snare?

Drum Guy

OK so what is this snare? Love the sound - got body, and slight overtone decay - wood or metal?

But no idea - you?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 5.03.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 5.03.43 PM.png
    167.5 KB · Views: 14

opentune

Platinum Member
those offset single point lugs look like sonor, 5 inch deep. or maybe canopus.
It sounds brass. I like the cymbal sounds too, the far right side crash.

s1212z

Um, they use the recorded version in videos and just play along for for the visual. There isn't even a mic on any drum, lol!

But according the wiki, I'm guessing its an aluminum Trick he tour'd with in 94' but he probably used what he recorded with in 93', Ludwig BB.

Drum Guy

Um, they use the recorded version in videos and just play along for for the visual. There isn't even a mic on any drum, lol!
yes I know the video isn't live :)

so why is the answer to almost all snare questions, "Ludwig Black Beauty"? :D

but yeah, maybe in the video he's using a trick aluminum (I never would've known that, thanks) - if so, sounds great

harryconway

Platinum Member
yes I know the video isn't live :)
So the studio version ..... it says

1993 - Signed, New Stuff​

in July 1993 Geffen was kicking down for new equipment in preparation for the upcoming Blue Album sessions in the fall, so Pat went out and got a new kit. Pat's new kit was a new Drum Workshop (DW) in Marine Peral finish. This kit had a 22"x18" bass drum, a 16"x14" floor tom, and a tiny 13" rack tom (later returned and then later still re-bought!), and a 14"x5" Ludwig Black Beauty snare. Pat got a set of Zildjian "A" cymbals, though he held onto the trusty old Paiste ride for a while. This is the kit as heard on the Blue Album. The DW kit was sold to Shufflepuck, who contained now-current members of both Psoma and Roosevelt. Its current wherabouts are unknown.

BLACK BEAUTY 14X5
but yeah, maybe in the video he's using a trick aluminum (I never would've known that, thanks) - if so, sounds great
But you're not hearing a live performance ...... so while he played a Trick snare on Tour ......

1994 - Live Tour​

Later in 1994, Pat picked up a green brushed aluminum Trick brand 14" snare drum. We were under the impression that Trick had since gone out of business, but apparently they still are going. Anyway, the snare sounded awesome. Pat sold it (on ebay no less!) in mid 1999.

You're not hearing that snare in the video.
so why is the answer to almost all snare questions, "Ludwig Black Beauty"? :D
Actually, all answers start and end with Mapex:ROFLMAO: (but that's another story)