What's this snare worth? 60's Ludwig 13" piccolo...

jodgey4

Silver Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Pico...476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbf1cc8fc
It's very used... but I love projects. What's she worth? I freaking love those lugs, and I've been searching for a really shallow 13" or smaller snare with character for a long time. I've always loved these Ludwig snares, but they always seem to be out of my price range ($300 ish). Steve Jordan rocks the heck out of this thing. Maybe a little TLC could make this one worth it for about $200. The only and biggest unknown is the bearing edge condition. Thanks, guys!

I've always wanted one of those too. Blue, silver, Blue...color of my first "real" Ludwig
drumset in the early 60's. Good luck. I have no idea what it will go for.

Respectfully..thats a Jazz Combo model as listed in the 1960 catalog.The Downbeat is a 4x13.As far as worth,its hard to tell.The paint is in decent shape,and the nickel hardware needs a lot of cleaning,but should shine up nicely.With a good and proper cleaning,that drum should look pretty nice.My only concern is bottom rim where its bent up by the snare gate.

Like Caddywumpus said,its pre serial,in good condition,and its a Ludwig piccolo,which makes it a very desireable drum.I don't know if 300 with make you a winner,but its worth more than that for sure.

Steve B

Last edited:
Well then..... darn. I had no clue they were worth that much! Any other ideas? What about http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remo-Master...359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbf37a76f a Remo Piccolo? I've heard these were good, and they go for like $50, so that's much cheaper... I'm open to any other suggestions. If it's more than $200 and anything but great quality, that's not a worthwhile investment I can make. Maybe someday I can get a Ludwig piccolo. That sure looks great!

I'll play the Remo over the Ludwig any day. That Ludwig is a conversation piece at this stage of its life, theres a reason they didn't sell that many of them. Pics and pans sound best in brass or atleast chrome, if those are worth 800.00 I'll start combing the country side hahahaha!!! I'd be concerned about that thing being in round when you see drums that are cosmeticly ruff like that is theres some abuse present too. Anyone who would let an instrument fall into that state didn't care for it in the least. Buy that Remo for a couple of bucks they do sound good. I had an early acoustican sp) and that lil devil had some cut and half to it. Doc

Ended up going for $235.50. I'm warming up to the Remo idea, but I'm afraid it might explode if I put Aquarian heads on it... :).

I'm warming up to the Remo idea........

If you're after a 13x3 piccolo, don't walk past the Pearl models either. I have a Pearl brass piccolo (B1330) that is a killer little drum. They are not for every application, but I've managed to find plenty of use for the thing over the years. Not sure what the pricing is like in the States, but they are definitely worthy of consideration.......hell, they'll even happily accept an Aquarian head.....what more could you ask for? :)

Of course, if you really want to take peoples heads off with a mere piccolo, be sure to check out the Pearl free floating models too. Slightly bigger again at 14x3, but for a little drum, they have plenty of bark to them. Keep It Simple has some sound clips here on DW of his in action. For its size, it is a ferocious drum.

I've been looking for a copper or brass to pass through as well. But it's lower on my priority list. I've seen a Pearl brass piccolo (13") or two in my life, and the quality always seemed questionable. Plus I think like the sound of wood for a piccolo. Thanks for the suggestion. If I see one soon I'll check it out as well just to be sure!

Ended up going for $235.50. I'm warming up to the Remo idea, but I'm afraid it might explode if I put Aquarian heads on it... :).

Ebays always a crap shoot.That drum is definately worth more,and they do sound great.To give you ad idea how crazy Ebat is lately,there was a Ludwig BB 6 1/2x14 8 months ago that went for 400.It was a late 70's drums in pristene condition.The same exact drum same serial # went for 4200 a couple of days ago.SAME drum.

Hey..If its the Ludwig you want...go for it.I love the sound,and they just ooze mojo.

Steve B

Back