What's the story behind your user name?

str8edg - Straight Edge - a punk movement of people who don't drink, smoke, do drugs, have promiscuos sex. Some have attached also being vegan to it as well. Started by Ian MacKaye in the band Minor Threat in the early 80's. I have been Straight Edge since 1981, when I first heard them.

tnrdrmr - tenor drummer - I LOVE the quads/quints in marching percussion. They are the tenor voice in a marching percussion group

the X's on either side also are a symbol of the Straight Edge/hardcore culture

my avatar is the little black sheep from the Minor Threat Out of Step ep - becasue i have always been the black sheep of every group I am a part of. I rarely follow the mainstream trend of anything I do

Nickname: Al
Last name: Parrott

Kind of wrote itself.

As I stated in my introduction, I'm half Jewish, but on my FATHERS side. Back in my younger days I devoted great amounts of time, money and
energy into exemplifying the very definition of: foolish, contemptible, obnoxious person who lacks good judgement. Thought it would be appropriate! Now excuse me please, I'm going to go have a corned beef stack with swiss cheese, a few knishes, a big chunk of halvah,
and an orange soda.:cool:

Moke is a a truncated/bastardized version of my family name - I picked that up in grade school when every guy had to have a nickname. I smoked (almost anything that would burn) in high school and for a few years later, so "Moke" morphed to "Smoke." I don't smoke anything anymore and doubt that any of my friends from years-gone-by would even remember me as Smoke, but I like it. Wispy, fleeting, mysterious. Yeah, that's me! :ROFLMAO:

Just curious, everyone has a story...

Mine? I chose it because I wanted something that would not easily identify me and my online persona. My son had a very unique user name that he used across multiple sites and different areas of activity. When he was growing up I used that and Google to keep a watch on his online activity.

Square is generic enough that you would need a bit more information to find my trail.

Of course, I explained this all to my son and daughter when they became of age.

So what's your story?
I have no story per se, but I like dogs so I wanted my username to be dog related but Hotmail.. (yes Hotmail that long ago!) decided that doggy was taken so it added the d69 so it ended in that, I just modified it a little to register for DW. I wish I had a cooler story but hey...

str8edg - Straight Edge - a punk movement of people who don't drink, smoke, do drugs, have promiscuos sex. Some have attached also being vegan to it as well. Started by Ian MacKaye in the band Minor Threat in the early 80's. I have been Straight Edge since 1981, when I first heard them.

tnrdrmr - tenor drummer - I LOVE the quads/quints in marching percussion. They are the tenor voice in a marching percussion group

my avatar is the little black sheep from the Minor Threat Out of Step ep - becasue i have always been the black sheep of every group I am a part of. I rarely follow the mainstream trend of anything I do
Not into any health movement myself but also not against them. Hard to argue when people can look like this:

Attachments

• Alissa.jpg
    Alissa.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 12
  • Like!!
Reactions: iCe

BabyMetal has all kinds of funny things that to a first listener watcher (you have to see the videos to catch all those things) will be hard to comprehend.
In one of their live videos the singer wears a neck brace ( and a lot of people in the live version present at their concert wear one as well).
when the girls introduced themselves, they always crossed their arms forming the letter X.
In another live video the singer yells Akatsuki DA (DA not being part of the song's name).
On another video she gets crucified on stage while wearing the neck brace...

After a little investigation I discovered that:

Wearing the neck brace is a nod to X Japan's drummer who got a permanent neck injury for headbanging too much too hard so now he has to wear the brace.

The arm crossing to form an X is a shot out to the band as well.
Akatsuki is the name of the song, and the DA part is what the singer from X-Japan yells in one of their songs when they play it live so the BM singer just copied that. She actually got to perform one or two songs live with them eventually.

Getting crucified on stage... Japan is not Catholic so their religion is very different.
In the BM lore (all started because the girls didn't know how to do the devil horns hand sign so when they did it it looked like a fox) From there they started this whole thing about "The Fox God" and how everything they do relates to it, even their rehearsed interview answer when they were asked something they didn't want to answer "Only the Fox God knows"
There is a lot more to this lore but I won't bore you with it.

Not into any health movement myself but also not against them. Hard to argue when people can look like this:

for me , I just don't get the fascination of being in altered states, and always in trouble. AND, if I was to be a true punk, I should be going against the norm, right? Well, drinking, smoking, and doing drugs is about as mainstream a thing as you can do. I never looked at that stuff as "rebellious". Especially because all of the people we were supposedly rebelling against did it....adults, jocks, clergy, politicians....It is pretty much a staple of American culture. And what was worse, is that all of the "punks" did it too....hypocrites!

it never had to do with health back then, but as I got into my 20's, and saw most people I know starting to suffer the negative aspects of substance abuse amd addiction, then I realized that I gave myself an advantage on some health things. When I had my heart attack 5 years ago, the doctors all said that it was "minor" b/c of that avoidance of those things. Now, on the flip side, my heart attack was a DIRECT result of my poor, 80's, midwestern, butter infused, fried everythign diet.....that was/is my addiction

BabyMetal has all kinds of funny things that to a first listener watcher (you have to see the videos to catch all those things) will be hard to comprehend.
In one of their live videos the singer wears a neck brace ( and a lot of people in the live version present at their concert wear one as well).
when the girls introduced themselves, they always crossed their arms forming the letter X.
In another live video the singer yells Akatsuki DA (DA not being part of the song's name).
On another video she gets crucified on stage while wearing the neck brace...

After a little investigation I discovered that:

Wearing the neck brace is a nod to X Japan's drummer who got a permanent neck injury for headbanging too much too hard so now he has to wear the brace.

The arm crossing to form an X is a shot out to the band as well.
Akatsuki is the name of the song, and the DA part is what the singer from X-Japan yells in one of their songs when they play it live so the BM singer just copied that. She actually got to perform one or two songs live with them eventually.

Getting crucified on stage... Japan is not Catholic so their religion is very different.
In the BM lore (all started because the girls didn't know how to do the devil horns hand sign so when they did it it looked like a fox) From there they started this whole thing about "The Fox God" and how everything they do relates to it, even their rehearsed interview answer when they were asked something they didn't want to answer "Only the Fox God knows"
There is a lot more to this lore but I won't bore you with it.

yeah, the crossed arms X was what all of us Edger's did back in the 80's to "represent" Straight Edge Hardcore

I can honestly say that I can't take Babymetal for long enough to get that far into any of their videos. There are a few types of music that just grate on my soul....Babymetal, Hood Rap, Pop....I just can't do it. I might watch the video with the sound off to see the references though....

Back