What's the oldest drum gear you own?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Probably my oldest is a 1920s Ludwig Deluxe (commonly referred to as a Black Beauty.)
Jon, if you had to describe the sound of the 20's Deluxe, compared to todays BB's, how would you describe it? Is your 20's drum a 2 piece welded shell? Bronze or brass? I thought I heard that the old ones were made from a 2 piece welded bronze shell, but I think that may be off.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My eldest brother has my first Red sparkle 1965 Ludwig I got when I was ten years old. He recently gave me the Zildjian Avedis 24 in cymbal that went with it. I cleaned it up the cymbal and it looks like new. Next the kit-which my brother has never changed the heads these last 49 years-must be a record.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Jon, if you had to describe the sound of the 20's Deluxe, compared to todays BB's, how would you describe it? Is your 20's drum a 2 piece welded shell? Bronze or brass? I thought I heard that the old ones were made from a 2 piece welded bronze shell, but I think that may be off.
I suspect mine is brass, I didn't know there was a bronze version, and I'll guess the shell is the 2-pc. I haven't played it on a gig, but the ones I've played don't appeal to me much in terms of usability, unless you're specifically going for its unique sound. It's very cool to have, but it's hardly a fantastic drum by today's standards. It doesn't possess the kind of old school vibe as a snare that a '50s or '60s kit does compared to modern drums, for example.

But I don't want to bite the hand that fed me, it was a very kind loan-turned-gift from a friend, and I do cherish it.

Bermuda

WhoIsTony?

1966 Gretsch round badge champagne sparkle progressive and matching snare with micro strainer
all original ... including hardware

TopHat

My Ufip Bravos are probably the oldest thing I own made in probably the 70s or 80s. I have a recording custom but it's 2013 vintage

Mike_L

My mom found this Ludwig snare drum at a thrift shop for like five bucks and thought I might like it so she picked it up for me, not knowing anything about it other than that it was really old.

I'm unsure of the year, but I want to say early 1900s.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I have a similar drum that I scored off Ebay, I believe it's a 30's Ludwig Juvenile snare drum. The shell is made of some kind of fiberboard.

My favorite snare is a 30's Leedy COB snare. I use it every week for a gig, just can't get enough of the warm tone it gives.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
1926 Ludwig "Dance" model snare (14x4, 8-lug, COB).
1928 Slingerland "Tone Flange" snare
Several cymbals from the 30s

...everything else I own is 50s and later, and I prefer drums and cymbals from the 50s-60s over all other eras, but I just picked up a 1982 Tama Superstar kit (13/14/18/24) which has given me a new appreciation for some more recently-manufactured tubs...

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I forgot we use to have a band snare of my fathers from the 1930's he played when he was a kid. It was up in the attic of their house. I'll have to climb up there and see if I can find it. My Mom's 89 and saves everything. That'd be cool. I remember a pick of him holding it when he was kid.

Last edited:

Aeolian

Platinum Member
I have an early '60s New Beat top. Came with a set that had a '70s bottom and I think they just thought the stencil had been washed off the top. But when I looked up the stamp on a vintage cymbal site, it was older.

I did sit in on a guys kit at a jam recently that had a Ghost pedal. Hadn't seen only of those since the '70s. Surprised how well it worked.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I use this 1926 Ludwig Super every time I gig. I can't seem to find a nicer sounding snare.

Many years ago my Dad replaced the hoops with newer style hoops.

Arky

Platinum Member
The oldest stuff in my drum gear would be some broken cymbals I got off Ebay and cut them down into bells or splashes. No idea of their exact age but some might date back to the 80's, not more.

SAINTDRUMS

I have a 1938 14x28 Ludwig & Ludwig bass drum followed closely by a 1941 Ludwig & Ludwig snare drum. Both are WMP.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
My 1971 Slingerland drums, my 1968 Paiste 602 ride and I have an imported 48" gong. Not sure of it's age, I got it in 1975?