What's the name of that type of drums ... ?

Wannabe-Drummer

Hi folks,

first of all, I'm new on the forum, and : pardon my english, I'm a french native from Lyons, France, so my english might read like ''broken english'' ...
Well, I would like to know how are called those type of drums that were used mostly during the 1980s decade, it seems : quite ''flat'' and transparent, made from plastic (maybe acrylic) apparently, and always with a black ''skeleton''/frame made of metal (or plastic) underneath ...
It's the best way I can describe it, but here's a link showing the type of drum I'm refering to :

Thank you in advance.
Michel

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Looks like Rototoms.

14371698_800.jpg

felonious69

Was thinking about getting a 12 and 14 to add to the 6, 8, 10, but then I gotta dig up the pic of @Ransan 's kit for when she complains...cuz SHE WILL complain!

Then I can again say"But, but, but Ransan bought this!!! ( Deflection, ya know)

harryconway

Platinum Member
........ type of drums that were used mostly during the 1980s decade, it seems : quite ''flat'' and transparent, made from plastic (maybe acrylic) apparently, and always with a black ''skeleton''/frame made of metal (or plastic) underneath ...
Welcome to Drummerworld, Michel. Roto toms go back to the early 70's. Curtis Mayfields "Pusherman" 1972 ..... the intro. has a roto tom being pitch shifted. Then Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of the Moon" 1973.

The first versions were what they refer to as chrome-on-chrome. Those have the chrome upper and lower frames. Second version ..... chrome upper, black lower. Those are in the video you posted. Third version, chrome upper, grey lower.

I had two 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 sets ...... and now I have an 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 set.
Was thinking about getting a 12 and 14 to add to the 6, 8, 10, but then I gotta dig up the pic of @Ransan 's kit for when she complains...cuz SHE WILL complain!
Do it !!! Do it !!!!! DO IT !!!!! You can use me as an example (and blame me) too.

Attachments

• 1 b.jpg
    1 b.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 6

Ransan

Unfortunately, I can’t be listed in the roto-directory Al.
For sure we’re proudly on a small list of Pearl brethren. 😎

But I’d definitely rock the hell out of some roto toms, 6”, 8”,10” used in this song, not to be confused with concert toms - Shandi anyone?

Wait a minute! Your deflection tactic puts me in the crosshairs - but it just might work!

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Roto's for sure. Two greats who played them at points in their careers.

The Bill Bruford Rototom Kit Project | blog | E. Doctor Smith

Cruise Ship Drummer!: Bozzio's Roto-Tom set

MntnMan62

Oops. Can't forget this guy.

Frank Zappa Seal Call Fusion Music w/ Vinnie Colaiuta & Tommy Mars @  Circus Krone 1978 - YouTube