What's the most shallow-minded thing you do in regards to playing or owning drums?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Ok, this is meant to be good-natured and fun, so let's keep in light!

Are you willing to admit to your most shallow, petty thing when it comes to playing or owning drums? I know for one, I will not play a set of drum sticks unless it has stick wrap. This has turned from a preference to a need more recently, but it started as a preference. While this isn't terribly shallow, check these out:

I only want to buy drums that have a sparkle finish.
I only buy drum sets that have a virgin kick drum.
At this point in my life, I'm only interested in USA-made drums (maybe with the exception of my Pearl snare drum).

How about you? Anything you are willing to admit? :cool:

Last edited:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I think whatever was there is pretty much gone.

I like to keep things clean and since I usually play barefoot, some people comment that the reason my drum rug is so clean is that I take of my shoes and leave them on the edge before I go inside "the zone."

MntnMan62

I have been known to go down into the basement, especially at night when everyone is asleep so I can't play, and I'll just stare at my drums and walk around them eyeing them lovingly. I'll sit behind them and take in how it "feels" to sit there, every so often moving something to make micro adjustments in the placement of drums and cymbals. And I'll also fantasize about ways that I can make the kit "better". Yes, it's sad.

Weave2112

I have been known to go down into the basement, especially at night when everyone is asleep so I can't play, and I'll just stare at my drums and walk around them eyeing them lovingly. I'll sit behind them and take in how it "feels" to sit there, every so often moving something to make micro adjustments in the placement of drums and cymbals. And I'll also fantasize about ways that I can make the kit "better". Yes, it's sad.
Brother, you are not alone.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I won't play any other cymbal than Zildjian...mostly b/c of my dad telling me that they are the best, and all others are copy cats back in my formative years. I still hold on to some of this mind set today. Even though I KNOW it is not legit, I still can't bring myself to buy other cymbals.

And I do think that they are still the best.

I also can not play with socks or shoes on. I have got in trouble for this before in bands, and at work, and I am sure it is psycho-somatic, but I just won't do it.

I also rarely socialize at gigs. I tend to set up, and if I can, I just sit behind the kit and play on my practice pad. This is more the introvert in me. I just can't bring my self to hold pointless conversation with drunk people. I run the merch table for my metal band, and that allows me to seperate if I want to. Before set up. or after tear-down, I am fine with it, but as Odd-Arne mentioned about "The Zone", once the kit, or amp (for when I play bass) is up, I sort of hyper focus on playing

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I also rarely socialize at gigs. I tend to set up, and if I can, I just sit behind the kit and play on my practice pad. This is more the introvert in me. I just can't bring my self to hold pointless conversation with drunk people.
I'm very with you on this. Luckily, my wife comes to the vast majority of my gigs, so I just hang out with her. The only people I really talk to are people who ask about my drums or other gear, but I don't even bother trying to make friends or socialize. Most places we play, we usually get a "table for the band" and we just hang out there at breaks.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I refuse to schlep around a double pedal because I know I’ll never use one on a gig. But because of this I’m neglecting my double bass education.
for many years, I refused to use a double pedal, as a metal drummer, because Nicko McBrain didn't use one. I lost 25+ years of double bass development because of that

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I'm very with you on this. Luckily, my wife comes to the vast majority of my gigs, so I just hang out with her. The only people I really talk to are people who ask about my drums or other gear, but I don't even bother trying to make friends or socialize. Most places we play, we usually get a "table for the band" and we just hang out there at breaks.
yep...me exactly as well. Especially the "only talking to people about gear" thing. Which also brings up another shallow thing I do at gigs: i immediately inspect the other bands gear, and the compare it to ours (and make secret judgements in my head about how they will sound, and act)

rhumbagirl

I spend some time every gig thinking about inconspicuous recording with my handheld.
Cymbals are placed on stands with two hands on the edges, or one hand under the bell.
Cymbal boom stands are configured in the "T" position - boom perpendicular to the stand, regardless of need.

After a gig, I focus on not being the last one seen still packing and carrying stuff.
Floor tom goes on the throne before I remove the legs!
Drums get put into cases before anyone gets a chance to "help" me.
Towels or cloth are placed between stands stored in a hardware case, bag, or vehicle floorboard.
Floor tom legs are no where near a drum finish, or chromed hardware, during transport.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

After a gig, I focus on not being the last one seen still packing and carrying stuff.
Floor tom goes on the throne before I remove the legs!
Drums get put into cases before anyone gets a chance to "help" me.
Towels or cloth are placed between stands stored in a hardware case, bag, or vehicle floorboard.
Floor tom legs are no where near a drum finish, or chromed hardware, during transport.
pretty much me as well!! No one helps with tear down, for both my set or bass amps. I can get my set off stage, torn down and secured in under 10 minutes if the space allows. I am almost ALWAYS first off the stage and put away. i also have little felt cut out circles that go between each cymbal in the cymbal vault.

My band mates know not to interrupt this process as well. Not b/c I am a dick about it, but i just get moving. I do trust our lead singer with my gear...he respects it the way I do. And sometimes my other 2 drum friends will help if they are at gigs.

this is also driven by the fact tht I do run the merch table, so I need to get back there quickly, and since I don't drunk, I m also in charge of watching gear when not on stage, and I need it to be in it's area quickly.

Smoke

Silver Member
I lock myself away in my room and drum by myself for my own enjoyment. No more, no less. Anyone that doesnt like it, I dont care. I drum for ME, that's it. It doesnt get any more shallow than that.
The basement is mine. I pay the mortgage. The drum set is in the basement. I don't gig anymore. When the need arises, I drum. Whenever I want. Everybody else can pound sand down a rat-hole. (Sounds tough, but I only drum a couple times a week, and usually between 6 and 8 PM. It's only Mrs Smoke and me in the house, and she likes my drumming. But I get it. Plus, I get to sound like Billy-Bad-Adze, if it's only me I'm fooling!)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
i immediately inspect the other bands gear, and the compare it to ours (and make secret judgements in my head about how they will sound, and act)
I used to do this until I went to Nashville and spent about 3 nights on Broadway watching dozens of different bands play. I saw more cheap guitars, small combo amps, and mid-to-lower-level drum sets than I thought I would. When it comes to guitars, those folks only care about playability and plugged-in sound. The nicest drums I saw there was one set of DW Collectors and a new-ish set of Sonor Vintage Series. Everything else pretty working-class drums (I saw a lot of square-badge Pearl Masters kits which are absolute workhorses. Also, Pearl offices are located nearby as well). Bass guitars and electric guitars were all over the place in quality, but most of the acoustic instruments were straight medium-grade. While I didn't expect a lot of rare instruments, I was surprised to see so many working-man's instruments for whatever reason.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
for many years, I refused to use a double pedal, as a metal drummer, because Nicko McBrain didn't use one. I lost 25+ years of double bass development because of that
Perhaps. I don’t think it’s shortened my career or anything. There are SO many really good double bass players, I’m happy to give out names if someone insists they need a double bass drummer. I happily live within my limitations.

Benthedrummer

The most shallow things are:

1) I am not inspired nor interested in other drummers and how good/technical they are. No drummer really influences me. I don't like listening to other drummers.

2) I avoid gear like the plague. I own what I need only.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
1) I am not inspired nor interested in other drummers and how good/technical they are. No drummer really influences me. I don't like listening to other drummers.
I'm in this boat too. I dont spend hardly any time in the your playing section. I dont seek out videos on YT or anywhere else just to veg on the drummer. I could care less what Jojo, Vinnie, Terry, or anybody else is doing/has done, just like they dont care what I'm doing. When I pick up sticks, it's me, no one else. Trying to be a copy of someone else is pointless. Might as well dress and talk like them too.