What's the most famous drum solo in history?

larryz

Platinum Member
the little solo in the song Frankenstein by Edgar Winter was pretty popular in its day also.
i remember working out on those riffs
That gets my vote. Listening to my red Radio Shack transistor radio on the school bus with the single ear plug so as not to disturb the other thugs who weren't into such cool music.

p.s. Sorry I can never remember the drummer's name. Poor guy. That was an awesome tune.

lindsayannemusic

Good ideas and thoughts everyone! I listened to all of the solos and was very impressed with each one of them. Just goes to show how many great drummers are out there!

Drum Mum

That gets my vote. Listening to my red Radio Shack transistor radio on the school bus with the single ear plug so as not to disturb the other thugs who weren't into such cool music.

p.s. Sorry I can never remember the drummer's name. Poor guy. That was an awesome tune.
It was Chuck Ruff. That solo stuck with me for years, too!

ThatCallumMurrayKid

isnt there a drum solo at the end of lynrd skynird 'freebird'? i'd imagine it would be famous..
on the topic of drum solos, tre cools burnout one is famous among green day fans :)

drstrangefunk

the little solo in the song Frankenstein by Edgar Winter was pretty popular in its day also.
i remember working out on those riffs

and let us not forget that it's actually a duet w/ Edgar echoing the kit player on Timbales. good one.

Kenney Jones - I'm Losing You (Faces)
? - I Want To Be Free (Ohio Players)

my vote: Wipeout.

evolving_machine

Silver Member
When I was a kid, this tune used to be played on the radio often. Many of the kids at school, used to play this on their desks with their hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8__EwAT8VM

MOST FAMOUS!

I believe that if you were to play it on the Desk at your school now, there will be many that would recognize it still.

If you play YYZ or Moby Dick on a desk at school now, would others be able to recognize it?

P

plangentmusic

Besides WIpe Out, (which isn't really a solo) I do believe 'Take Five" is the only song that was actually a top 10 hit that featured a drum solo . (And not one of Morello's best IMO). But I do believe more people know SIng, Sing, SIng.

wesporter

I would say the most "famous" is probably "Wipe Out", however a close second and by far the most influencial drum solo in history is "Sing, Sing, Sing"; it was the first real drum feature that brought drummers to the forground and really made us "musicians" in the eyes of the general public. Besides, Gene Krupa is the only drummer in history to have an entire film made completely about him and his life. Not even Ringo touches that. I would also say a few more particularly famous solos or drum parts are "Jack n Diane" by Kenny Aronoff, "Come Together" by Ringo Starr, or "Rock n Roll" by John Bonham.

T

The Old Hyde

As a standpoint of popularity, Wont Get Fooled Again. However I cosider most of what has been listed as fills, not solos, this example included.
However Moby Dick live!!!!!!