What's the most difficult instrument you've ever tried to learn or play?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I haven't tried, but i'm thinking anything with double reeds. Oboe, bassoon, contrabassoon. double reeds take time

Trumpet - I was able to produce a total of two shaky notes. The remaining two hundred sounds were barely audible or just terrible. I only tried it once but I developed a lot of respect for trumpet players that day. The learning curve feels like a brick wall in the beginning.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Trumpet - I was able to produce a total of two shaky notes. The remaining two hundred sounds were barely audible or just terrible. I only tried it once but I developed a lot of respect for trumpet players that day. The learning curve feels like a brick wall in the beginning.
I call bullcrap! I've seen you play a dozen instruments-and now a best selling author. I got to see you play the trumpet to be convinced LOL. Just kidding Swiss but you do have a lot of talent man. I feel better you can't play everything-I was getting envious.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Oh God Ginger Spice now this. ROFL your right. Damn my observations skill are for crap. It's stress-my wife's memory has been acting up to-she forgot some pretty significant things. I know how stress alters perceptions and memory. I told her I had dementia but she said it's normal aging crap-wow just what I wanted to hear. Is either good? My last mentor was probably the most brilliant of any and I saw the early signs of Alzheimer's which he later succumbed after it forced his retirement. So when I do things like this it just scares the hell out of me. Watched my grandmother reach a point she didn't recognize anyone. The thought I could not recognize my family or granddaughter is just to much for me to bare TBH. I plan to "accidentally" drown if that scenario were to arise-I'd rather them morn me-than a shell of me. Two of our physician friends have life changing events-rapid onset Alzheimer for a pediatrician and ALS for a family practice friend. I always thought cancer would get me being exposed to agricultural and research carcinogens for so long-but my freaking brain is turning to mush.

Last edited:

jansara

the Mijwiz - double-reed Middle East flute, requires circular breathing1585156033442.png

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Old Dog new Cans

I sold my electric guitars (only 2) when I got back into drumming in order to buy more drum gear. I do NOT miss them much at all. I liked guitar. I would have been a decent rhythm guitarist with TONS of practice. I just didn't want to put the time and effort into it. I hadn't played them in over a decade, there was no point.

Tried quads in marching band back in 85/86. I had a lot of difficulty with the instrument, mainly because of the weak left hand not being able to keep up with the doubles action. I ended up quitting that year. But because of doing stupid teenage stuff, not because of the quads. Wish I had stuck with them.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Most authorities on the topic agree that oboe and French Horn are the hardest orchestral instruments.

I would also add bassoon (embouchure and the thumbs thing) and English Horn...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

For a month I tried to play the Chapman Stick. I may try again, but it is not as easy as I thought it would be.

yeah...that is a world of it's own. I tried to play one back in the early 90's, and just did not have the mental capacity to put to learning it...I was trying to get the handle of a normal 4 string bass, let alone that

Auspicious

I bought a 88 keys living room piano a couple of years ago.

I already sucked on the drums trying to learn jazz.. now with the piano I could not even learn children's songs, I got rid of it for the same price. Learning jazz on the drum AND on the piano was simply a dumb idea. I prefer to suck less at only 1 thing. ?

So now I focus all my energy only on the drums.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I bought a 88 keys living room piano a couple of years ago.

I already sucked on the drums trying to learn jazz.. now with the piano I could not even learn children's songs, I got rid of it for the same price. Learning jazz on the drum AND on the piano was simply a dumb idea. I prefer to suck less at only 1 thing. ?

So now I focus all my energy only on the drums.

I have has a TON of really good piano players say to me:" man, I wish I could drum. It takes sooo much coordination". And I am thinking: " 4 limbs....10 fingers....nah. Piano is much harder...much more coordination"

I took piano for 10 years and hated every minute of it...t'was hard!!!

Auspicious

I have has a TON of really good piano players say to me:" man, I wish I could drum. It takes sooo much coordination". And I am thinking: " 4 limbs....10 fingers....nah. Piano is much harder...much more coordination"

I took piano for 10 years and hated every minute of it...t'was hard!!!

Lol yea that's what I thought also, 10 fingers especially, that's a lot of coordination lol.

I love listening to piano but really I don't see me behind it either.