Whats the fastest you can play four on the floor?

Bradastronaut

Now i hear a lot of people (mostly none drummers) saying "oh its easy to play that beat", "i dont drum put i can play that in my sleep", propper acdc style, simple as it gets four on the floor.

I COMPLETELY dissagree.

Is it just me or is this possibly one of the most awkward beats to play? i mean its so simple, and thats how it gets you. You think its so easy, you screw up, mistakes are easier to spot, and take it past 170bpm and wooosh. nah. Atleast for me (a born again beginner).
Ive been practicing this beat furiously the past few days, trying to take it past me 165bpm limit (playing it 3 minutes at a time) was curious as to your guys maximum speed you can play this beat at, for atleast 3 minutes continuously!
Though i do know that even the fastest songs dont take this beat past 180bpm, im sure theres some here who can go 210+ :)

C

Crazy8s

Many metal genre drummers routinely play at tempos where one foot would be playing 420-460+ in a minute if they were to play it nonstop for 1 minute. Much faster if it is broken up.

The way to play 'four on the floor' the fastest possible would be to split the beat up between right and left with double kicks, kicks on 16ths and snare on 8ths with one hand and the other hand on hats or ride (or whatever sound source you choose). If you are real bold, you can play 16ths with just one hand while the other plays 8ths.

r l r l r l r l
kkkkkkkk

simple blastbeat or basic rock if played slowly

8Mile

Platinum Member
Now i hear a lot of people (mostly none drummers) saying "oh its easy to play that beat", "i dont drum put i can play that in my sleep", propper acdc style, simple as it gets four on the floor.

I COMPLETELY dissagree.

Is it just me or is this possibly one of the most awkward beats to play? i mean its so simple, and thats how it gets you. You think its so easy, you screw up, mistakes are easier to spot, and take it past 170bpm and wooosh. nah. Atleast for me (a born again beginner).
Ive been practicing this beat furiously the past few days, trying to take it past me 165bpm limit (playing it 3 minutes at a time) was curious as to your guys maximum speed you can play this beat at, for atleast 3 minutes continuously!
Though i do know that even the fastest songs dont take this beat past 180bpm, im sure theres some here who can go 210+ :)
Funny you mention this. I was recording recently and I was playing four-on-the-floor beats at even moderate tempos like 140 with some difficulty. Now, I'm not talking about playing four-on-the-floor for a section, I mean from first note to the final crash, without any variation. I struggled with getting it to feel comfortable and the recording sounded really bad to me. I don't have difficulty with the speed, per-se, but with playing a solid, precise feel without feeling like my foot needed something to break up the monotony.

It's one of my biggest weaknesses and I've been working on it a lot lately. The conclusion I came to is that it's just technique. I really find that any time I have to work hard at something to make it even and feel right, I probably have some technical thing I need to spend more time shedding. Even when the thing itself doesn't seem all that technical.

Davo-London

Gold Member
Drum n Bass although normally programmed is played at 160 - 180 bpm. I've been practicing at 170 bpm and loving it.

hihat 1/8 ths

snare 2 and 4

kick 1 and 3and

Davo

Last edited:

Bradastronaut

Funny you mention this. I was recording recently and I was playing four-on-the-floor beats at even moderate tempos like 140 with some difficulty. Now, I'm not talking about playing four-on-the-floor for a section, I mean from first note to the final crash, without any variation. I struggled with getting it to feel comfortable and the recording sounded really bad to me. I don't have difficulty with the speed, per-se, but with playing a solid, precise feel without feeling like my foot needed something to break up the monotony.

It's one of my biggest weaknesses and I've been working on it a lot lately. The conclusion I came to is that it's just technique. I really find that any time I have to work hard at something to make it even and feel right, I probably have some technical thing I need to spend more time shedding. Even when the thing itself doesn't seem all that technical.
So im not alone :) ive been realy into some songs that arent exactly why i would usualy get into, and have just realised that they all use this beat heavily. I cannot play along to these songs either (well i can just not as well as i would like to)! and theyre not even that fast (140 maybe). It is getting the feel for sure ! Its so much easier to feel a busier beat with more ghost notes, but when your just keeping STRONG time and trying to keep a heavy backbeat, concentration needs to be at full level. Definately the most important beat to practice imo :D i could play it for ages, getting right into the metronome, fits with almost any song aswell.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Before I started playing, I used to air drum to almost every song, thinking I knew how to keep the beat to all of them. Once I started to play, I realized how hard it is to keep the beat to many songs, even some seemingly simple ones. Even today, I try to play along with some songs and struggle with them.