Whats the best bang for the buck????

A-customs

Silver Member
OK fellow drummers.Heres is my question.If you had $1,500 to spend on a kit.What would you get.I have a Yamaha stage custom kit,that still sounds good,with a 8,10,12,14 and a 20 bass drum.Love the mounts on the kit.But i really want to upgrade to my last kit. Im in my 50s and feel as ive worked hard and am ready to make the move. I gig almost every weekend.Id love to do a DW Silver sparkle kit.same sizes as my yammies but i know that would be more doe than i really want to put out. used would be cool as long as its not beat to death...And to buy a kit without seeing,playing it.well its not something i THINK i could do......This is Hard...Any advice from this site is most appecated..Thanks...........

I too am in my 50s and it's never too late to upgrade. Are there any issues with the drums you have? If at all possible make a list of the drawbacks that your kit has. Do you need a larger floor tom for the types of music you play? DW drums are nice, but a lot of people really don't believe that DW is the holy grail in drums, including myself. My thoughts are to go shopping with the intent of improving on what you have and not just making a lateral move. Maybe a change of pace would be a maple set of drums. I own the Gretsch Renowns and for their price, they sound and look incredible. I also own some Yamahas and I too appreciate their mounting system. Good luck on your choice.

Dennis

Mapex Orions (if you like the more vintage or mainstream maple sound) or Mapex Saturns (more low end, more attack, great for more modern styles). You can get either on eBay or used at your local store for under $1500 easy.

For 1500- I'd go for Tama B/B Starclassic Performer. I play DW, but I really like those Tamas!

Otherwise, if you're not in a hurry, look around for used DW's. I sold my old DW kit for around that much...

I don't know about finding a set of used DWs in those sizes with that finish...that's quite a long-shot! Check out my kit in my signature...nothing says classy like a vintage Ludwig in silver sparkle! But, you won't find any 8" or 10" toms. :(

Have you thought of building one yourself? Buy some shells from Keller or Vaughncraft, buy the wrap, buy the hardware (or keep the hardware from your Yamahas that you like so much). Have them cut the bearing edges for you. Either a Keller ply shell or a Vaughncraft steam-bent shell would be awesome...and, the fact that you pieced it together yourself would make it an uber-special kit!

Just a update................Went to GC And they had a Gretsch Renown there that a played,and not to offened the Gretsch contingent,i wasn"t overly impressed.I mean they sounded good but didnt think they where any better than what i have.The price was right where i wanted to be,just didnt knock my socks off.Was kind of a let down...I want this to be my last kit so,no more upgrades.Really always wanted a DW Now it looks like thats where im heading.............

If it had stock heads on it it won't knock your socks off. Put some coated G2's on them with some clear G1's underneath and rock on.

My vote... Save up a good 700$ and look at Gretsch. My brother has a 6 piece catalina Maple he got for $650. Still looks amayzing and sounds just as great. Gretsch really knows whats up.

Have you looked at Sonor?
If so, which ones have you tried?

If you want it to be the last kit you want to buy... shell the extra and get DW. You'll smile everytime you sit behind them. Otherwise you'll probably buy something else now... then end up buying DW's in a few years...

You could get the Yamaha Oak Customs for about 1500 (I payed less for the same sizes, minus the 8") and it's a step up from the Stage Customs. ...the silver sparkle, which I have , is quite nice.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've never played one But I 've heard that the oak customs sound awesome, especially for he price point. There's a sonor s-classix 10, 12, 16, 22 on ebay right now brand new for 1600, that's a steal, top of the line kit for a great price too.
PC

Hmmm.. I thought the Renowns had good heads outta the box...?

No, I ditched the 7 mil resonant heads as soon as I got my kit home. I replaced them with Evans G1 clear 10 mil heads for a smoother, more body, lower pitch sound to the toms. I did keep the G2 clear batter heads.

Dennis

Sonors age well so a vintage one of those would be great if your into those big, heavy, booming drums. It all depends on the kind of sound you're after I guess.

If you want it to be the last kit you want to buy... shell the extra and get DW. You'll smile everytime you sit behind them. Otherwise you'll probably buy something else now... then end up buying DW's in a few years...

This is what i am thinking........

You could get the Yamaha Oak Customs for about 1500 (I payed less for the same sizes, minus the 8") and it's a step up from the Stage Customs. ...the silver sparkle, which I have , is quite nice.

I have heard alot of great comments about these Kits.cant find a kit to play...I love yamahas hardware too........

Back