What's been your best flip? (Drum equipment)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
With all of the best and worst lists popping up, I thought I'd put this out there.

What's been your best drumming flip when buying/selling?

For me, it was my Zildjian A-series China Boy High 22". I bought it for $100, played it for five years, and then sold it for $125.

How about you?

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
Sonor Force 2007 including hardware. Bought it for 315 bucks. Sold the shellset (without hardware) later for 500 bucks. :D

The other one was a Mapex Black Panther Piccolo-Snare that once costed 450 bucks. I got it for 120 used and sold it again for 230 two years later.

bonerpizza

Silver Member
My best flip was a set of Tama Artstar Maple Customs that I bought for $70 (talked the guy down from $80) and sold for $350 a week later, I had to get floor tom legs and a couple tension rods for them but a $100 investment with a $250 profit was nice!

My best trade was a beat up OCDP CX Maple kit that needed some work and hardware pieces that I traded for a late 90s Tama Starclassic Birch kit with a 24" kick, I made that trade 5-6 years ago and I've used the Starclassic at ALMOST every gig since then and on numerous recordings. I'll never get rid of those drums!

M

Matt Bo Eder

I found an old beat-up Vistalite kit in the late 80s at a Guitar Center that was covered with duct tape and dirty. I bought it for $125 because the store didn't want to keep it. I took it home and stripped it, used a car buffer and turtle wax on the shells and restored them to their former clear glory and put it back together. Sold it the next month to a collector from Japan for $1500.

Superman

Gold Member
I've made numerous semi profitable flips but nothing interesting (or as profitable as Bo's story). My one cool story is I picked up a 80s Tama Rockstar set for $100 w hardware and some cymbals. Guy had them in a storage locker and advertised them as 70's Ludwigs. I got home and realized that the 20" ride was a 50's Zildjian K made in Turkey. Sold the drums and rest of the stuff for a profit and put the K away. So basically I got paid a couple hundred bucks to take a collectable K ride off his hands.

Traditional Grip

I've been drumming for about 10 years and have owned over a dozen drum kits/pedals/cymbals hardware etc. I generally buy low and sell slightly higher.

Sometime it takes effort, I used to buy old field drums on ebay, refinish them and make about $40-$50 a pop, not much, it was more of a labor of love.

One time I bought a remote hihat stand for $110 and sold it for about $200. Generally buying on CL and selling on ebay is profitable. Although, I've bought stuff on ebay that ended at weird times, set my auction to end at 9pm on a Sunday and cleaned up.

I bought a vintage Ludwig tom stand one time for like $50 and sold it for over $100.

It's all about knowing prices, knowing what it going to sell, knowing how to get a bargain, be willing to put a little TLC into the gear, taking good pictures of it and being patient for the right price to come along.

Also, having a good eye is key, If there's a rusty great piece of equipment, buy it and get out your steel wool. Chipping paint? Sand it off and do a fresh coat.

Traditional Grip

I've been drumming for about 10 years and have owned over a dozen drum kits/pedals/cymbals hardware etc. I generally buy low and sell slightly higher.

Sometime it takes effort, I used to buy old field drums on ebay, refinish them and make about $40-$50 a pop, not much, it was more of a labor of love.

One time I bought a remote hihat stand for $110 and sold it for about $200. Generally buying on CL and selling on ebay is profitable. Although, I've bought stuff on ebay that ended at weird times, set my auction to end at 9pm on a Sunday and cleaned up.

I bought a vintage Ludwig tom stand one time for like $50 and sold it for over $100.

It's all about knowing prices, knowing what it going to sell, knowing how to get a bargain, be willing to put a little TLC into the gear, taking good pictures of it and being patient for the right price to come along.

Also, having a good eye is key, If there's a rusty great piece of equipment, buy it and get out your steel wool. Chipping paint? Sand it off and do a fresh coat.