What's all this wind chime hate ;)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm frequently berated here for use of wind chimes, or even daring to have them on my kit. What's that all about then? I think they're cool, & work especially well in combination with keyboards. I guess most of you regard them as cheesy- right?

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Get the scissors! It's chime-kicking time!

I think it's definitely the 'cheese' factor. I really like the sound of them but nothing screams 80s like a set of wind chimes! Which is why they work perfectly in your band, Andy!

T

The Old Hyde

wind chimes barely belong in a garden blowing in the freakin wind, why do drummers insist on thinking they are a percussion intrument to be included in a kit??? are we going to start a thread about which brand is better or which chimes have the best badges?? and dont get me started on gongs!!!

Markadiddle

wind chimes barely belong in a garden blowing in the freakin wind, why do drummers insist on thinking they are a percussion intrument to be included in a kit??? are we going to start a thread about which brand is better or which chimes have the best badges?? and dont get me started on gongs!!!
What's the matter with gongs? They make a very nice flat top for cooking.

Arky

Platinum Member
Honestly I'm saddened by the obviously low acceptance of wind chimes. I think they're cool. Is this dislike (apart from maybe some overuse in the 80's or in some contexts) because they don't call for any technique/skills to be learned in order to play/use them? Still I think they make a fine addition to a drumkit. I've been thinking of getting some.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
It's like having two cowbells. Belt and braces. Everything that you might possibly need behind the kit. Woodblock? Yep. Cowbell? Check. Sacrificial virgin? Of course. Wind chimes? Now can we play Boston?

They certainly do sound very nice. I think we just all enjoy ripping on Andy...

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
"I taunt you a thousand times" :) To get my technique just right, I had to view this wonderful instructional video from an "expert" over & over again ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm6N1FQmXmg

Thanks for the idea my raw friend ;) A most valid discussion - best wind chimes :) I like the thinner solid studio chimes. They "glisten" more than clang. I do have a mini rant aimed at wind chime manufactures though - PROVIDE A DAMN CASE!

longgun

Gold Member
Personally, I've always liked the sound of chimes..............maybe it is an 80's thing.

I would also love to have a gong....................just for the sheer "coolness" factor.....................but I'd hate to lug it around

T

The Old Hyde

hahah i didnt know there was acutally an instructional video. i thought you just blew on them, who knew??

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
hahah i didnt know there was acutally an instructional video. i thought you just blew on them, who knew??
TBH, I'd hardly classify that as an instructional video. let's face it, it is an "Expert Village" production ;)

Arky

Platinum Member
Chimes are so cool, that I made my own. Now I'm talking chimes, not wind chimes which I used to make.
Wow, Grunters, that's very nice work! And they sound surprisingly nice.
More than nice enough to make me not care about pitch relationship.
Those aren't too expensive new but why not DIY'ing them - thanks for the inspiration!