What's a piece of drum gear that you like the IDEA of having it, but you have reservations or simply no use for it?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

it has always been a second bass drum for me. I would use it, but having the double pedal works just fine. I think I am one of the only 70's guys who doesn't want the second bass drum...

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Someone mentioned a djembe - I’ve had one for a few years and finally used it for a paid gig last weekend. Due to covid restrictions, a trio I’m in performed as two acoustic guitars with percussion. I sat in a cajon and played djembe, plus some tambourine and vocals. Slightly uncomfortable, but it worked and I got paid!

RickP

Gold Member
Double Pedal - I have one on my practice e-kit and have got relatively proficient at it . Won’t gig it as the music I play doesn’t call for it .

Cable remote hihat - the use intrigues keas ai am a huge fan of Gary Chester’s New Breed book . These were very popular in the90’s . Rarely see people using them now .

Splash cymbals - I have had quite a few and ended up selling them all. Just not required for what I am playing these days . Very popular in the 90’s with many pro players having multiple .
Calfskin Heads - live the sound of them but don’t need the tuning hassles

Swish Knocker/ China cymbals - hate them all with the exception of the Paiste Traditional Medium Light swish and the Paste Masters swish - all the other sound harsh and like garbage can lids .

Lee-Bro

Octobons/Ratatoms.

I had a set of them a few years ago. I couldn't get them incorporated the way I wanted and ended up selling them.

iCe

A gong. Think those sound amazing, but i hate the idea of having to move it around or having to store it. Would probably be a 24 or 26", but too big to be used maybe once or twice during rehearsals.

Electronic pads. Really like the idea of having pads like Danny Carey or what Neil Peart had to trigger sounds and percussive stuff. Either way would mean to change my entire setup, find a place for the pads, find the sounds, need to hook it to a PA system and that is too much for my simple acoustic drummer brain xD

Auxiliary 3rd bass drum. Like the idea of having an 18" bass drum for a different sound for quieter interludes, but again... space. Need space for that and i already take up considerable space with my double bass set haha. Having said that, Mike Portnoy's old Siamese Monster is still a kit a fantasize about on how i can play my own songs on them. Has all the bells and whistles i can dream of and also an experimental side to change things up on. The only thing i would change is that 10" 'floor' tom under the ride and hi-hat in the middle for something bigger (13 or 14") and move the right side just a tad more to the right to make more room. Mainly because that sounds so weird in fills (a higher sound than the 12" tom, so if you go up or down the towns that tom is very similar to the regular 10" tom, although sounds deader due to dampening)

1596189810923.png

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Someone mentioned a djembe - I’ve had one for a few years and finally used it for a paid gig last weekend. Due to covid restrictions, a trio I’m in performed as two acoustic guitars with percussion. I sat in a cajon and played djembe, plus some tambourine and vocals. Slightly uncomfortable, but it worked and I got paid!
I bought a djembe a few weeks ago with a new band. The new band exploded into a million pieces the next week. Now? I have a djembe in my basement.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
No, I don't think so. They did have a more one-dimensional sound though.
I'm pretty sure that Vinnie Colaiuta used them on the Gino Vannelli Nightwalker record (bottom heads removed, with mics stuck up inside).
Well heck then. Maybe I was confusing “loud” with “sustain” which is totally possible. Ears can be tricky. For example, so many people (e.g. fellow band members) complained for years about how loud my cymbals were. Once I got some lower-pitched cymbals, they loved them. While I believe them to be the same volume, they are a heck of a lot less shrill and much more warm and lower pitched.

Last edited:

Griffin

Timbales, roto-tOn my way! And/or octobans. Will happen one day but no real point at the moment. Not playing any gigs where I could get away with a lavish set up.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Timbales, roto-tOn my way! And/or octobans. Will happen one day but no real point at the moment. Not playing any gigs where I could get away with a lavish set up.
For some reason I love everything about this post. The auto correct on my way! and the use of lavish. I want a cowbell that sounds just right, but I feel like generic or something when I play them, like they're a little cheesy to me for some reason, yet they sound great.

dwsabianguy

To be honest, light jazzy ride cymbals. I love them, but I'm not playing too many jazz gigs these days. Even my gong gets more use than the Agop Signature ride I've got, but it's the most wonderful light, dark, complex ride I've ever played.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
To be honest, light jazzy ride cymbals. I love them, but I'm not playing too many jazz gigs these days. Even my gong gets more use than the Agop Signature ride I've got, but it's the most wonderful light, dark, complex ride I've ever played.
Really? A 22” K Light Ride is my main cymbal - I use it for everything. It’s a great wash merseybeat cymbal.

Griffin

For some reason I love everything about this post. The auto correct on my way! and the use of lavish. I want a cowbell that sounds just right, but I feel like generic or something when I play them, like they're a little cheesy to me for some reason, yet they sound great.
Haha I didn’t even spot that autocorrect. I have a cowbell and I love it (nothing fancy just a big standard LP). But it’s definitely a matter of trying to find interesting ways to use it or you just end up sounding like a Blue Oyster Cult parody. They do show up on a surprising number of recordings though.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I thought these were stupid until I watched this video.

What an incredible experience.

I must go back to Memphis now. This video is almost exactly what I want. Do you think they would let me punch the gong?

A giant gong. They look really cool, and I have a desire to put on a boxing glove and punch it square in the face. Then I can stand fully enveloped in its sonic awesomness.