What's a great snare that's not too expensive.

DevonWelch

I really like the Pearl referance snare ALOT, like it's probably my favorite snare as of right now, but it's soooo much money, like up to one grand after all the taxs I could imagine.

If there any snare that is almost as good as the referance or even as good, that is a bit of a better price? I mean if I have to buy the reference I guess I could save up for a few years but i'd rather get something I could get sooner, as of now i'm just using a 89' Steal pearl export snare, it's alrght, but not good enough for me.

So any suggestions on great snares that are a great price?

I like the John Bonham, Chad Smith funky kindof sounding snare.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Any used Mapex Black Panther. Or new.

IMHO , not a better snare for the money out there.

New or old models, doesn't matter.
Wood or metal, whatever floats your boat.
I like the wood ones. All of them.

I own snares that I like better than my 13x6 BP maple , but they are 5-6 x the cost.

DevonWelch

Get a used Ludwig Acrolite 5 x 14. They can be found for under $100. BTW what is your budget right now? Also check out the New Ludwig Supra-lites four sizes under 200 bucks.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95724&highlight=supra-lite

Other ones I can suggest is the Tama Metalwork just to let you know I am not biased to Ludwig. lol
Well i'm 16 so my mom would probably prefer under 600$ so what you offered is a little cheap haha :p I would be getting this snare maybe on my birthday May 28, i'm getting my Cymbals first you can check my cymbal thread to see what i'm getting for christmas (1000$ in cymbals) that's why i'll hafta wait for the snare.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
There's someone on eBay selling a slightly blemished Noble & Cooley maple snare (7x14) for under 600 - those I consider great. I also consider Ludwig Acrolites and Supraphonics as great. What is your definition of great and are you sure this Pearl Reference snare is able to give it to you? Guys like Buddy Rich can make a trash can sound good too ;)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well i'm 16 so my mom would probably prefer under 600$ so what you offered is a little cheap haha :p I would be getting this snare maybe on my birthday May 28, i'm getting my Cymbals first you can check my cymbal thread to see what i'm getting for christmas (1000$ in cymbals) that's why i'll hafta wait for the snare.
You are a smart boy. Good cymbals beat out good drums anyday of the week! Then you only invest in them once. Good move.

DevonWelch

You are a smart boy. Good cymbals beat out good drums anyday of the week! Then you only invest in them once. Good move.
That's the plan dude! :) I researched these cymbals and tried them out, I absolutely am sure I love them.

As I think you know if you remember, I was a E-kit user for around 1 and a half years, possibly two, so i'm JUST getting into the acoustic stuff haha, I remember what you told me about that kind of stuff and I really play my acoustic alot more than the E-kit now, i'm just trying to get nicer equipment, B8 cymbals and ZHT sound like tin cans haha!

mandrew

Gold Member
There is absolutely no way to go wrong with a used Ludwig Acrolite or Supra. I picked up a vintage Acrolite (70's) on Ebay for $60, and it was in very good shape. New heads, throw off, and Puresound snares and I have a killer drum for around$125. It absolutely sounds as good as most new ones, and better than some.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That's the plan dude! :) I researched these cymbals and tried them out, I absolutely am sure I love them.

As I think you know if you remember, I was a E-kit user for around 1 and a half years, possibly two, so i'm JUST getting into the acoustic stuff haha, I remember what you told me about that kind of stuff and I really play my acoustic alot more than the E-kit now, i'm just trying to get nicer equipment, B8 cymbals and ZHT sound like tin cans haha!
I'm glad you've made the jump. Although I'm delving back into electrics, there really is no substitute for a living and breathing drum and cymbal. Good for you!

tard

Gold Member

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
+1 for a Black panther. I like the birch shelled black panther with die cast hoops. I threw on some Evans top and bottom and it sounds great.

LanceMCA

Any used Mapex Black Panther. Or new.

IMHO , not a better snare for the money out there.

New or old models, doesn't matter.
Wood or metal, whatever floats your boat.
I like the wood ones. All of them.

I own snares that I like better than my 13x6 BP maple , but they are 5-6 x the cost.
Well if you've got $600.00 then you have a lot of options for snares... I agree with this dude here... You can buy a used Chad Smith for 150 bucks anyday of the week (275 new) or get a black panther for the same price or a tad more and they kick serious ass... They somehow seem to find the pocket in every song/music style... Crazy large tuning range... Also the sonic saver hoops are awesome if you're a hard hitter like myself... Bang for buck this snare is definetally one of the better snares on the market... I'd be lookin for something like a 8 or 10 ply maple...

Dirtysticks

For $600.00 you could get a used DW Edge. They sound amazing. You could also probably get your hands on a used DW solid shelled snare, whether it be a DW/Craviotto or a DW SuperSolid. DW brass, DW bronze, DW copper, DW knurled nickel all sound amazing and are within your range( some new and some used). I am a huge fan of DW snares!

You could also get a black beauty, supra, Black Panther phosphor bronze, Noble & Cooley snares, I've seen some Brady snares and some Craviotto snares for under $600.00.

With your range you have a huge list of options.

Bretton

Silver Member
I was really impressed when I heard a Tama Metalworks snare, which the drummer said he picked up for 150 bucks or something.