What's a good SLP snare to play 60s rock

cbphoto

Gold Member
See my other post comparing an Acro and the Tama. I thought the Tama had better hardware, but they screwed the pooch with the throw off, it's not the same one that comes on other SLPs, and yes it's worse then a P85. The plastic tension adjustment screw loosen all the time.

The Tama SLP Dry Aluminum did sound better than the Acrolite to my ears though.
Did Tama change the throw-off design? Mine has been rock solid for years.

Did Tama change the throw-off design? Mine has been rock solid for years.
I don't believe they did. And I did own another snare with the MCS70 and had no issue. But I gave up on the Dry Aluminum after going through all their stock and not one had a good working throw off. Perhaps just a bad batch, I don't know. This is why you buy from a place that accepts returns.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Never had a problem with this throw off, you’ll hardly find any bad with Tama hardware. Much more usable than the Lud one.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Well, I think the snare sound you're hearing in your head for 60s rock (and pretty much everything else too for that matter) is a Ludwig Supraphonic, so the Tama Dry Aluminum makes a lot of sense.

There's just...something about the tone of an aluminum shell that responds well in a wide tuning range from a thump to a crack. If you're wanting versatile, it should work out well.

That said, Tama's build quality is great, and I'd be surprised if ANY of the SLP snares wouldn't give you what you're looking for.
Never had a problem with this throw off, you’ll hardly find any bad with Tama hardware. Much more usable than the Lud one.
Agree. The Dry Aluminium would be my recommendation. Versatile, wide tuning range, classic sound. Works great.
Actually there are no bad SLP snares IMO.
(btw I had no issues with this or any other SLP snare)

I've never had a single issue with Tama before either.

But if you do buy a Tama snare with the MCS70 throw-off, you can do a simple test (which is how I figured out it wasn't just in my head): put a bit of colored tape on the tension adjustment knob, say parallel to the shell, then play it. In my case, after 2 minutes of normal playing (I do play steady rimshots, but I'm not gorilla beating the kit) the knob had rotated 45 degrees already which I deemed unacceptable.

If the throw-off is good, well this is one of the best sounding snares I've ever owned (having both a vintage Acrolite and a Supraphonic). One of those snares that's never the wrong choice, you can bring it to any gig and it will pretty much always work. Better tuning range than similar Ludwigs.

And yes as mentionned, unlike a lot of metal snares, it doesn't overpower your kit.

cbphoto

Gold Member
In my case, after 2 minutes of normal playing (I do play steady rimshots, but I'm not gorilla beating the kit) the knob had rotated 45 degrees already which I deemed unacceptable.
I had a Tama Starclassic brass snare with the MUS80A throw off. After about five years it kept loosening as you mention. I installed a thin knurled nut that locked the tension shaft in place and never looked back.

I had a Tama Starclassic brass snare with the MUS80A throw off. After about five years it kept loosening as you mention. I installed a thin knurled nut that locked the tension shaft in place and never looked back.
The 3 I went through were new out of the box. Shouldn't have to modify a brand new Tama snare for it to do its job.

But if you get a good deal, you can do something like that (it's a plastic tension shaft though, so a locking nut might damage it), or just swap the throw-off altogether. Assuming it does have the issue.

cbphoto

Gold Member
The 3 I went through were new out of the box. Shouldn't have to modify a brand new Tama snare for it to do its job.
Agreed.

When I had the issue I checked out most of the snare drums at my local shop and it surprised me that there wasn't some kind of locking mechanism on any brand/model of throw-off.

Agreed.

When I had the issue I checked out most of the snare drums at my local shop and it surprised me that there wasn't some kind of locking mechanism on any brand/model of throw-off.
This situation actually made me curious about this so I checked out a few snares in the store. I noticed that most of their Mapex snares had a throw-off that makes the tension knob a lot harder to turn once the snares are engaged (easy to turn when disengaged, hard to turn when engaged) which means it won't budge when engaged with the only downsize being making it harder to fine tune while they're engaged.

The new Ludwig Atlas throw-off too (the one that comes on all US snare since 2016) has a ratcheting mechanism when engaged. So you can turn it, but it won't turn by itself.

Yes, Ludwig of all people now makes a throw-off that works very well (still feels cheap to use though).

cbphoto

Gold Member
Yeah, the Tama "linear strainer" (weird name) has a notched tension bolt on both throw-off and butt side and really works nicely. They have never loosened during my playing.