What's a good brass snare drum you guys recommend?

Birch4Punch

Ludwig now makes a nice raw brass snare. It's hard to beat Ludwig for great snares.

Stefan Brodsky

I picked up a Tama Stewart Copeland chrome over brass about two years ago. It was used, so got it for $325 (US). I think they're pushing $450 or more now for new ones. Has a thicker shell than say, a Ludwig Supraphonic, but I really like it's tone and versatility. Have used coated single ply Ambassadors and/or Evans (G1 and or UV1) over Evans 300 Hazy, and it sings. You can always dampen down w/Moon Gel, but it's a very good snare.

Attachments

• S Copeland Cleaned -8212.jpg
    S Copeland Cleaned -8212.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I would check out one of the Ludwig Heirloom Brass models, or one of the Black Beauty clones from Pearl, Pork Pie, or World Max, or any of the MANY drum builders. Or, order parts from one of the various supply houses, and build your own.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Early 1900s Ludwig & Ludwig. I have a 6 lug Nickel over Brass, 5x15 from the 1913 catalog and it kicks Black Beauty ass every day of the week. Matter of fact I've not played a better sounding brass no matter what brand or associated hype. There are several Early 20th century L & L brass snare drums on Ebay and Reverb. You'll pay anywhere between $400 and $2000, but they are well worth it.

1914 Ludwif & Ludwig 1.jpg

sumdrumguy

Early 1900s Ludwig & Ludwig. I have a 6 lug Nickel over Brass, 5x15 from the 1913 catalog and it kicks Black Beauty ass every day of the week. Matter of fact I've not played a better sounding brass no matter what brand or associated hype. There are several Early 20th century L & L brass snare drums on Ebay and Reverb. You'll pay anywhere between $400 and $2000, but they are well worth it.

View attachment 96459
True story... last year I saw a post on my local FB. Someone on a farm just oustide of town clearing outbuildings. One of the pictures had some dusty old drums, woodblocks, and cymbals. Among them a snare that looked just like this. I msg'd, but it was already gone. I asked what they sold it for...

$40!!! 😱😨😰🥺

Ransan

—If you have not found one yet.
If it’s warmth in metallic shell your wanting, then bronze is it, no two ways. Even over the woodiness of copper that likes to be in the mid highs, bronze lives in the mid lows.

But as for brass:
I have a 6.5”x14” Pearl free floater as well as a 70’s SSB Gretsch 5”x14” 4160 COB.
I love them both, the pure brass one which is the Pearl sounds brighter and it’s louder than the chrome over brass.
This maybe due to a lot of factors but I notice it and can tell them apart blindly.
View attachment 96466E43FFB6A-DC3F-40DE-81D6-1EB9FEB7413E.jpeg

20BC38A5-7A71-49C8-8AB6-431C7ABD63C9.jpeg
I do love the subtle warmth, subdued volume all while keeping the crack like the COBs have, not sure if it’s prevalent in the NOBs, and raw brass, I am intrigued by the Black Beauty.

I am huge fan of COB snares especially vintage when those were cream of the crop in catalogs.
This one will be in soon and I will let you know what I think.
4C28A1CB-2DBF-4DE7-8145-DFB09E047728.png
note* I don’t think you can go wrong with just about any brass snare 👍

Last edited:

graysonator

Thank you guys for all your help, But I already made a post a while ago on the snare I bought. Pork Pie Patina Brass 7x13! Thin 1.0 mm shell gives it a nice liveliness. It's very warm too. Slapped a UV2 on it, medium-high, boom.

Quai34

I have been always interested in a Yamaha Recording Custom Brass Snare since they have been released but I also have always hesitated between the 13X6.5 or the 14X6.5, they made at 650$ in CAN$ and seem to sound really good...Or what about a Tama SLP 14x5? But I heard it's a very high pitch snare???

graysonator

I have been always interested in a Yamaha Recording Custom Brass Snare since they have been released but I also have always hesitated between the 13X6.5 or the 14X6.5, they made at 650$ in CAN$ and seem to sound really good...Or what about a Tama SLP 14x5? But I heard it's a very high pitch snare???
The 13 is fun size, I’m kinda hooked on them right now because they are incredibly versatile. Try one!

Quai34

The 13 is fun size, I’m kinda hooked on them right now because they are incredibly versatile. Try one!
Ok, I think my local stoe has one 13", my issue is to choose Drums, snares and cymbals without being the drummer... I did right according to all the drummers who came to play my two Tama Star Reserve, both woods, I would have bought the Star Reserve Copper if I was playing them all the times but I play more keys, so, as a keys player in love with drums I'm trying to save a bit but still be very happy with my purchase and being in love with the sound, I cannot make a mistake... Anyway, that is what I Was thinking about the Yamaha's metal snares, they seem to be very good snare at a correct price.... Like the Tama SLP Bronze.... But Nick D'Virgillio says in his test at Sweetwarter that the snare is best at medium to high timing and I have already the Maple snare for that tuning... Thanks for the advices, I'm learning a lot on this forum, people are super nice...Bye
PS: I'm still surprised that the Steve Gadd 40th anniversary of collaboration is a Steel drum, my understanding is that it was one of the least high end metal for snares and the price at 1200$ is very high.... Just a couple of 100$ and you have a Star Reserve Tama.....??!! Steve Gadd is my favorite drummer but I'm not sure it worth what they ask for?

Last edited:

jdavis

Didn't Gadd just use a 5x14 Supra in the early 70's?

I mean, if that's what he used on '50 Ways,' I'd rather buy one of those, LOL! (y)