What's a good brass snare drum you guys recommend?

graysonator

I've never owned a metal snare before, I wanted something a bit darker than steel or aluminum, so i was thinking maybe the 14 x 6.5 pork pie patina brass or a dw design series black nickel over brass. do any of you have any better recommendations? Cheers!

johnwesley

Silver Member
Pearl sensitone unless you find a 1920s Ludwig nickel over brass at a good price. Pearl's are excellent and priced right.

Rotarded

Bang for the buck wise the Ludwig Black Magic or older LM300 series. Black beauty will always be the standard.
DW makes a wide range. Yes, even some nice affordable ones in the Design series as you stated.

sumdrumguy

The Manu Katche signature snare. I have both the 5.5, and 6.5, models, and take them out regularly. Beautiful drums!

NackAttack

I've never owned a metal snare before, I wanted something a bit darker than steel or aluminum, so i was thinking maybe the 14 x 6.5 pork pie patina brass or a dw design series black nickel over brass. do any of you have any better recommendations? Cheers!
I’m in the same boat. I’ve been researching brass snares. I also think the 14x6.5 Pork Pie patina brass looks interesting. In fact I almost bought it 2 different times. Lately I’ve been eyeing the Tama SLP black brass. Although it is about $200 more than the Pork Pie.

force3005

Silver Member
Hey Graysonator. Used Slingerland COB 1970's to early 80's. Worldmax, black on brass is a nice sounding snare. Also look into Mapex snare line up. They make some nice snares.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've had brass snares with clear lacquer, chrome over brass and black nickel over brass. The only one I liked the sound of is black nickel, as it seems to focus the overtones a bit and clear up some of the wetness of a brass shell.

A Black Beauty is THE standard of black brass drums, but any of the Black Magic/Worldmax/Sensitone/BoB copies will get you in that ballpark for around the same $300 price. If you look for a used one just get whichever one you find for the lowest price; they're all virtually identical drums other than the badge.

GeoB

Gold Member
A hammered metal shell. Hammering counters overtones. Also cottonballs replacing those little foam pads inside the lugs to keep the springs from resonating.

Hammered Bronze or copper would be nice too. I'm unsure if DIY hammering would crack the chrome on a chromed shell.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I loved my Black Panther Sledgehammer snare. Great price, great tone, great tuning range, great hoops and throw off. Just an all around great snare. The only issue I had with it at all was volume. That's probably the loudest snare I've ever played. I only sold it, because I had others and the Black Panther was a bit redundant in the patch. Kinda miss that at times though. What a beast it was! If you're playing out live, I highly recommend it, but stay away if your playing restaurants and coffee shops. LOL!

KamaK

Platinum Member
On the inexpensive side... Pearl Sensitone, Pork Pie Bob, Ludwig Rockers LM-3XX.

On the expensive side... Ludwig BB, Dunnett S2N

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
DW Collectors Series black nickel over brass
You can also find this one in nickel plated (not black). I have this one. Another unsung one you can find cheaper is Tama’s Stewart Copeland snare - that’s a really good one too.