What vintage is my dw5000?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I emailed dw but they missed the reply I sent with pics so I wasn’t able to get them to identify it. I got this dw5000 2nd hand a week ago with an old beat up kit. I wiped off a lot of the dust today and it has two problems - the connecting shaft is cactus and the chain on the slave pedal is missing the little part that secures it to the cam.

I’m trying to work out if it’s worth fixing because I know how expensive spare parts can be. In order to get the parts I want to figure out what series it is. The footboards look like the newer edition but the hoop clamp seems to be quite old and has lots of play in it. The wing nut you turn with your fingers to fasten the clamp to the hoop was the thing that struck me as old, and it has dw written on it so I think it’s s genuine part. I’m thinking maybe someone has upgraded the footboards on an old pedal?

I could buy a trick shaft for my own dw pedal and donate its shaft to this pedal, I would feel less guilty about spending my $$$ that way.

And I was wondering if I walk into a bike repair shop or mechanic if they might have the little clips that could secure the chain but it seems doubtful.

Any help is appreciated.

BA517458-25C1-49F2-A9FD-768D8FBDB111.jpeg
00BDE426-9DCF-4329-9C38-5736FF13EEC4.jpeg
CCE39795-B60C-4172-9E77-A30B64261A4B.jpeg199D4348-A1DD-450E-8973-B0B22B50E257.jpeg0B6445BF-005B-4471-8C59-D7BB14CDE2B8.jpeg

I don’t know what year that is, but I’d hardly call it vintage. That’s the bigger footboard with the dual chain. Gotta be the last 10 years.

As far as one of those chain clips, Pro Drum in Los Angeles, usually has every single DW part you would ever need in stock. That would be the first place I’d call for that part at least. I’m not a double pedal guy so I can’t help you on the other stuff. But I do know what it’s like trying to source those little clips.

That's 00s at the oldest. That's seen some bad abuse and 5000s are about as bullet proof as you can get.

I've got an original DW5000 and a 90s one with a footplate. The original has a yamaha footboard on it thanks to a clumsy singer at pack down.

Plenty of DW pedal parts available. Luckily the 5000 is one of the most customizable pedals around.

Probably 2000-2005 ish
Still gigging my 1996 5000 Delta with strap drive.
Parts readily available and cross-compatible between eras

Mick

DW came out with the Delta II in 1999. It had the double chain and the footboard looked like this (notice where the "chain drive" text is). Your pedal is a couple years younger, as others have pointed out. Never mind the optional footboard weights.
The text "The Drummers Choice" on the footboard started to appear in ads around 2003.
md239cs_0047.jpg

It looks just like my single pedal I got in the early 2000's. A very good and serviceable pedal.

This is when they started to get REALLY heavy and unplayable for me. I have a DW 9000 or 5000 on my rider, and when these show up I go to my suitcase and pull out the foldable one I travel with that still has a radius rod from 1986.

Thanks for clearing that up guys. Maybe it was a short time after that ad was printed because the wing nut for the bass drum hoop clamp is the same and I haven’t seen many of them like that in pictures.

I’ve ordered the trick shaft and the chain clip, hopefully it suits me to take out on gigs but if not I think someone will be happy to buy it and I’m happy if I was able to get something working again.

Back