What type of backup pedal????

Jml

So I finally decided on my bass drum pedal after much searching and trying - a new Tama Speed Cobra 910. Very light and smooth. So now here's my dilemma. I currently have a nice Roland e-kit, which is my only drum set (I'm new to drumming...have only been playing 6 months). However, I plan on getting an acoustic kit soon, with my e-kit becoming my indoor practice kit. My question is this - if my new Speed Cobra is my main pedal, what do you suggest as a backup pedal? A similar, but budget conscious, Speed Cobra 310? Do any of you recommend a short board backup pedal since the Speed Cobra is a longboard? Does it make any difference if main pedal and backup pedal are similar at all? What do you guys recommend as far as a type of backup pedal? Your input is greatly appreciated.

I use a DW5000 on my main and a Yamaha 7210 on my eKit. My reasoning at the time was that... since my foot is still in early development, I might as well challenge it with some variety. It has given me some perspective during practice and has enabled me to figure out what attributes I like about one over the other so that I'm better informed when I purchase my next pedal.

Get another 910. Then your foot isn't getting used to playing another pedal.

I end up playing a lot of different pedals on different kits over the course of the month. The pedal I have on my backup kit doesn't have to be the same one, but it does have to work well.

I have a Speed Cobra as well. Amazing pedal. I bought it as a Replacement for my Vector pedal after it got stolen while loading out after a gig. Now that I've bought another Vector, the Speed Cobra is my backup. The 2 pedals feel so similar that I can change between the two of them and feel a minimum of difference between the two. The Vector does feel slightly better and faster to me, but it is very slight, so my technique does not really need to change when switching between the two. That's what you're looking for. If your 2 pedals feel quite different, then your muscle memory gets confused and has to reset if you change pedals. I'd say get the cheaper Cobra, as it will feel very similar to your main pedal.

Sorry. I should have been more clear. Looking for something not quite as expensive as my Speed Cobra 910 for my backup pedal.

Forgive me, but aren't used speed-cobras $100?

I see 300 series for $75 and 900 series for $120.......

Hi Jml and welcome to DW. Sonor 400 series I have two that I use for back-ups and is a nice pedal for around $65-80. Tama has the 300 for around $80 and the 600 for $110 also Gibraltar has some nice ones between $85-100. Pearl the Demonator for around $80. All are chain drive and will the trick.

So it seems some of you have similar, if not exactly the same, backup pedals to your main pedals. Others have totally different pedals as backups. So I guess the question is - does it matter? I can see the value in getting a similar pedal if only so you don't have to adjust to something totally different. But I suppose it would make you less versatile? Hmm.

The question is actually not easy to answer as everyone has his very own approach. I do have for both of my main kits a Yamaha FP9500D pedal, that means thos are direct drive models. Still the "emergency pedal" that I carry to gigs is a Tama Iron Cobra Jr. Pedal with singel (!) chain drive. It is only an "emergency pedal" and although it does not have a direct-drive, nor has it all the bells and whistles (and maybe ain't as sturdy as the Yamaha), it does its job. I don't see the point in spending hundreds of bucks on an "emergency pedal" in case anything goes wrong, which is definitely not happening every now and then with those expensive upperline-pedals. Buying a third expensive pedal for not using it? Meh... not my cup of tea.

I also have the Speed Cobra 910 version and use the Sonor 453(?)-$50 or an old Speed King-$50 as backups. Yeah, very different pedals but I can play them the same(heel uppity-down sort of). Beaters stay the same; big, round, felt.

I use RKM Pedals as backups, I have about 43 of them! LOL! (I make big joke here!)

I use my retired Speed King pedal as back-up after getting new Pearl P-930 and P-932. I haven't had to use it yet. All it has to do is get me through the gig.

I just got the 910 from my wonderful wife....it's killer. I have so much more speed and control with this pedal I can't even believe it.

I was using a Mapex Falcon and it's being relegated to back up duty. I'll be setting up a second "quiet" kit with silent strokes I'll use it on. I figure it can't hurt to have some variety...if I ever get annoyed with it I may get another speed cobra.

Now that's a wife!

I ended up getting a speed cobra 310 and it's REALLY good. I switch back and forth between the two. Only real difference is the beater, and no coil on the 310. But it's a very good pedal for discount price.

The 310 should prove to be a great backup choice. Just to be clear though, there are numerous differences between the 310 and the 910 (2016) besides the beater and coil.

The 310 should prove to be a great backup choice. Just to be clear though, there are numerous differences between the 310 and the 910 (2016) besides the beater and coil.

Well I know that the hinge is slightly different and the oil bearings and some other minor differences, but I think the look and feel of the 310 is quite comparable to the 910. In fact the 310 might be the better bang for your buck. At least, that's my opinion.

Back