What to wear at gigs

buzzbuzz

Yeah, I know, lame question but this is kinda new to me. Where can I get some cool Rock N Roll shirts? What can I wear to gigs? We play 80's Rock and Metal and clubs. Where can I get some shirts that aren't too plain or aren't over the top?
Lead singer usually wears shirts w/ sleeves cut out - not for me. Guitar player usually wears button front shirts - too stiff. Also, it's easy to get hot on stage. What do you guys wear?

I wear my Izod shirts until it's time to run out on stage at which time I rip off my shirt, I am the drummer after all, to show off my tattoos.

Ladies can't resist a guy in a dress shirt and tie.

I've started wearing a shirt for the first couple songs, but after a bit it just gets to hot to keep it on. If I wear it for the full show my shirts drenched in sweat after for a while and it gets really uncomfortable.

I've started wearing a shirt for the first couple songs, but after a bit it just gets to hot to keep it on. If I wear it for the full show my shirts drenched in sweat after for a while and it gets really uncomfortable.

Please tell me you're under 30 and in reasonably good shape........or a really hot chick.

Depends on the look of the band?

I played in one group where I wore a dress shirt, tie, and vest.

In Another group the only stipulation is to wear colourful t-shirts.

Wear whatever you're comfortable in and able to play in that fits the look of the group. You don't want to look out of place. It sounds lame, but you want to look like a band.

Last edited:
From Dockers to tux, depending on the gig. If it's in my studio, I'll probably be wearing bedroom slippers and sweats.

Dennis

I wear jeans and a nice t-shirt or short sleeve shirt.

I played a gig in a suit once, minus jacket of course, and I won't do it again.

We are playing a New Year's show tomorrow night and I will wear jeans and a nice short sleeve shirt. I want to be comfortable when I play. Back 10 years ago, most all the other members dressed in western wear......hat, boots...etc.......not me!

Try a fan. Nothing makes me laugh more than a band whose members feel that have to take their shirts off. Back before there existed air conditioning bands wore suits the entire gig. The shirtless thing IMO is a cry for attention and nothing else. It is not cool.

I like to dress in dark colors because I am an old man!
Black pants and black button down shirt with a collar.

Attachments

• bandy pics 140.jpg
    bandy pics 140.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,783
Try a fan. Nothing makes me laugh more than a band whose members feel that have to take their shirts off. Back before there existed air conditioning bands wore suits the entire gig. The shirtless thing IMO is a cry for attention and nothing else. It is not cool.

Amen, amen and amen ... only thing worse is shorts too

I know I'm old school but shirtless and or shorts, and you just lost my attention I don't want to see your tats or your boney knees.

It is often hot in Phoenix, so I will usually just wear my permanent long sleeve shirt.

Attachments

• tatts.jpg
    tatts.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2,785
I'm gonna get flamed by some of the nice dressers on here...but, if your playing 80's stuff and metal....check the retro/vintage looking graphic tees at Wal-Mart and Target type stores.
They're relatively cheap so, you can get a few. They're thin, soft and cool. You don't have to get the green "Lucky Charms" one but there are some more subdued ones from our (my) childhood that I get a kick out of....and they look good with my Converses....

Back