What to put on new snare shell

braincramp

Gold Member
I just got a newly built unfinished snare shell. What should I put on it? I see tung oil used alot, are all these finishes just astetic or do they effect the sound as I'm sure a wrap would? Is nothing an option? Any info would surely be appreicated.

sqadan

Wrap might affect the sound a bit - but with a snare drum - you probably won't hear much of a difference. Any lacquer or oil finish will probably have zero impact on tone if applied correctly.

braincramp

Gold Member
Its a walnut shell from erie I was thinking more in the line of something to bring the woodgrain out with a light shine to it. Laquer,poly,???

sqadan

Its a walnut shell from erie I was thinking more in the line of something to bring the woodgrain out with a light shine to it. Laquer,poly,???
A nice oil finish would probably look great on your walnut shell. Poly will look better if applied in very thin coats. Nitro (Lacquer) is always a good choice - try a nice clear coat to just bring up the grain.

BrewBillfold

Silver Member
I just got a newly built unfinished snare shell. What should I put on it? I see tung oil used alot, are all these finishes just astetic or do they effect the sound as I'm sure a wrap would? Is nothing an option? Any info would surely be appreicated.
Oh . . . I was going to suggest something like painting Max Ernst figures on it, but I guess that's not what you had in mind.

You know, stuff like this:

motleyh

You'll find a lot of debate on this topic, mostly because the answer really hinges on personal preferences for sound. Basically, the harder and smoother the interior surface, the more reflective it'll be, which can keep soundwaves moving inside the drum longer. Some people like that, others don't.

I'd recommend sealing the interior if only for the sake of protecting the wood -- but again, lots of opinions about how to do that, from oils to varnishes and from petroleum jelly to metallic paint.

Figuring out what works best for the acoustic qualities you like is mostly a trial and error process.

braincramp

Gold Member
Thanks for all the help..think I'll go with the Max Ernst idea as long as Home Depot carries them..if not the oil will have to do