What to look for when buying a used kit?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I'm going to have to check those out then. What do you think about this, since someone in here mentioned Yamaha Stage Custom's being pretty good and sturdy. If I had to choose one which one would you get and why?

Stay away from that particular Stage Custom. It has the plastic Nouveau lugs. Any other Stage Custom is a safe bet.

alex10167

Stay away from that particular Stage Custom. It has the plastic Nouveau lugs. Any other Stage Custom is a safe bet.
Thank you so much I had no clue. There is this other kit that I am going to check out today. What do you think? Sorry about the overwhelming amount of messages.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
That depends on what the cymbals are. I could be wrong since the pics are not great, but the ride and crash look like they may be A Zildjian. That would be very good. I only say that because of the color of the cymbal. There is too much reflection on the hats to tell. If you could get a better picture of the cymbals that would be great. I had the same kit in Maple and I was not a fan of the hardware. It did not hold up to gigging several times a week. Most people won't have that problem. It sounded great though.

alex10167

That depends on what the cymbals are. I could be wrong since the pics are not great, but the ride and crash look like they may be A Zildjian. That would be very good. I only say that because of the color of the cymbal. There is too much reflection on the hats to tell. If you could get a better picture of the cymbals that would be great. I had the same kit in Maple and I was not a fan of the hardware. It did not hold up to gigging several times a week. Most people won't have that problem. It sounded great though.
These are the cymbals. A Zildjian Ping ride, Zildjian Dark matter crash, Paiste 502 High Hats

harryconway

Platinum Member
The ping ride, if it's a Zildjian A, that's a $150 cymbal. Dark Matter has me a bit stumped. Dream and Zultan have Dark Matter cymbals ..... Zildjian, I don't think, has a cymbal called Dark Matter. Paiste 502 hats aren't great ..... but they're not the worst, either, they're certainly useable.

alex10167

The ping ride, if it's a Zildjian A, that's a $150 cymbal. Dark Matter has me a bit stumped. Dream and Zultan have Dark Matter cymbals ..... Zildjian, I don't think, has a cymbal called Dark Matter. Paiste 502 hats aren't great ..... but they're not the worst, either, they're certainly useable.
The guy was a guitarist so he was just guessing at the names. It was a Zildjian K Dark Crash. The ride is a 20 inch Avedis Zildjian Ping Ride. He offered me the kit for $450 with carrying cases for the bass drum and both toms.

Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member
The guy was a guitarist so he was just guessing at the names. It was a Zildjian K Dark Crash. The ride is a 20 inch Avedis Zildjian Ping Ride. He offered me the kit for $450 with carrying cases for the bass drum and both toms.
Well that's another $150 (or more) cymbal. Not at all the kind of stuff you normally get with "your first" drum kit. So that's two cymbals worth $300, and the whole kit goes for $450. I hope you bought this kit, already.

alex10167

Good thing I did. Thank you everyone for the help. I really couldn't have done without you guys. Here is a picture of the kit all setup. It's a Gretsch Catalina Birch Kit. With Paiste 502 High Hats and a Mapex High hat stand, Zildjian K Dark Crash, Zildjian Avedis 20 in Ping ride. The heads on the snare and toms are Evans Genera g1 coated heads and with an Aquarian Super Kick II on the bass drum. It also came with a Tama drum throne, Gibraltar kick, and like mentioned above carrying cases for the toms and bass drum. Thanks again.

IMG_1493_try1.JPG