what to go for funk, soul and r&b snare?

Fishbones

Silver Member
Call me crazy, but I play the above genres primarily along with blues and rock and i favor the pearl morgan rose signature steel snare as a main snare. obviously, your options are primo snares but you should check out the MR. but yeah the 5x14 ludwig supra 400 is a very popular funk snare.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Why not a wood snare?

I have a 13x6,5 Maple Custom Sensative that cracks the heck out of most metal snares and goes deep and low enough for the heavier genre as well.

ecpietscheck

id go for a copper snare, but thats just me
i own a 7.5 segmented walnut snare which also cuts the hell out of everything

BGH

Gold Member
Indeed they are.

Good heads and tuning on that bronze supra would make it the perfect choice for funk, soul and r&b. :)
Out of the original choices, I would agree with the Bronze. For funk, I think of a nice tight pop out of my snare. So, I'd be looking at shallower shells, 5.5" or less. A nice piccolo like a Yamaha David Garibaldi snare would be great. There's one on eBay (no, I'm not the seller).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-David-Garibaldi-Snare-Drum-/190486536989?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c59e1e31d

Attachments

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
Not listed is a 5 x 14 regular Ludwig Supraphonic.

Don't get me wrong - I love bronze drums, own a Mapex bronze and have the Ludwig 6.5 x 14 bronze in my future sights. But I'll probably get a 6.5 x 14 regular Supra before that.

When I see a question like this I often wonder what kind of funk or soul are we talking? Is it Dennis Chambers/David Garibaldi or is it Jabo Starks/Al Jackson?

The old school funk tunes meaning 60's through 70's were probably recorded on a typical 5 x 14 snare with the then current Ambassador/Diplomat batter/snare side combo with standard issue snare wires. The drum was probably a Ludalloy Ludwig Supraphonic or the Gretsch or Slingerland equivalent (or at least close).

Very pedestrian in our day and age of Free Floating, double snare mechanism, hammered, piccolo, super snares. :)
The players would then tune them up very high and sometimes but not always put wallets or other dampening on the batter.

If you are looking for todays funk sounds, then you can probably see more focussed snares like the Pearl FF piccolo or David Garibaldi snare. These drums usually are more toward the shallow side but still maintain a 14" diameter. They also can be more one trick ponies as a Ludwig Supraphonic tuned up high will give an excellent full bodied funk crack or a Steve Gadd (another funk direction) deep sound - at least under a mike.

If I had to go with any of the drums the OP lists it would be the Ludwig Bronze. I believe that will tune up to a funk sound quickly but still would allow for versatility.

Jim

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Modern funk stuff tends to go one of two directions. The shallow Garabaldi snare a la ?uestlove. Or smaller deep snares like the Pork Pie mentioned by the OP.

Interesting that Garabaldi played a conventional Ludwig Supra back on all those classic TOP tracks. But he got a great crack from his technique and made it work.

Most funk tends to have the snare high and tight. Think Walter "Clyde" Orange's snare on the upbeat Comodores songs as one extreme example. Modern "church" funk players leave it more ringy, but typically use deeper 13 or 12" drums tuned up even higher.

qiewie99

Hi all,
first of all, thanks for all comments. they are useful.

I gotta say that I own 3 snares now.
1. Pearl Maple Free floating Piccolo 14x3.5 and I really love this sound's snare.
2. I've got a PDP 805 10x6 as a gift. And this snare's sound crack for me. So I realize that I love a crisp sound like a piccolo snare or smaller size of the snare drum.
3. I had a 14x5.5 Tama steel snare. I couldn't remembered what series it was but I feel like the sound is sharper than a wood snare.
4. 14x5.5 Taye StudioMaple as it comes with the drum set. This snare's sound is just okay for me. And that I knew I love metal snare than wood snare.

So, that why I made the list from those three snares because
1. Ludwig Bronze snare just sound's cut to me as it is a Bronze 14x5 also.
2. Black Beauty is the Legend Bronze snare. I've never heard it by myself. But I just check the sound from many many website and many people recommend it. So I don't mind to have one.
3. Pork Pie 13x7 Patina Brass. I tried this one at GC and I like the sound. Also from the list I have, this is the one that could be the cheapest and that will be worth for the money.

But again, The money is not the big issue for me. I dont mind either if I have to pay 200-300 $ more the get the black beauty ( if it's worth for the big bucks)

I love Yamaha David Garibaldi. He's my idol all the time but I have own my Pearl FF so I'd
skip this snare T-T ( doesn't mean I dont like it. I just want something different)

Thanks u guys all,

If u guys have any more comments please do so. I'll look forward to see your guys comments again.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Hi all,
first of all, thanks for all comments. they are useful.

I gotta say that I own 3 snares now.
1. Pearl Maple Free floating Piccolo 14x3.5 and I really love this sound's snare.
2. I've got a PDP 805 10x6 as a gift. And this snare's sound crack for me. So I realize that I love a crisp sound like a piccolo snare or smaller size of the snare drum.
3. I had a 14x5.5 Tama steel snare. I couldn't remembered what series it was but I feel like the sound is sharper than a wood snare.
4. 14x5.5 Taye StudioMaple as it comes with the drum set. This snare's sound is just okay for me. And that I knew I love metal snare than wood snare.

So, that why I made the list from those three snares because
1. Ludwig Bronze snare just sound's cut to me as it is a Bronze 14x5 also.
2. Black Beauty is the Legend Bronze snare. I've never heard it by myself. But I just check the sound from many many website and many people recommend it. So I don't mind to have one.
3. Pork Pie 13x7 Patina Brass. I tried this one at GC and I like the sound. Also from the list I have, this is the one that could be the cheapest and that will be worth for the money.

But again, The money is not the big issue for me. I dont mind either if I have to pay 200-300 $ more the get the black beauty ( if it's worth for the big bucks)

I love Yamaha David Garibaldi. He's my idol all the time but I have own my Pearl FF so I'd
skip this snare T-T ( doesn't mean I dont like it. I just want something different)

Thanks u guys all,

If u guys have any more comments please do so. I'll look forward to see your guys comments again.
Minor correction.The current Black Beauties are Brass,not bronze,so if you want a bronze BB,you have to get a used one,or find a NOS drum,or get a time machine.They haven't been made for years.The hammered bronze Supra's sound amazing as well,a little drier sound than most metal drums,and almost woody .

The Black Beauty is a great drum and an investment .They hold or increase in value better than any snare drum......except vintage Tama bell brass superstars,which have gone for over 7500 US.

You can't go wrong with the Black Beauty,but those prices are climbing on the bronze Supra's also..Go hit them all....have fun

Steve B