What to get?

Hmmm it kinda depends on whether you do alot of hihat work. If you only have a crash/ride and depending on how bad your hihats really are, then I would say get you a good crash.

Go for the hats! I was just talking to another drummer this morning about my first pair: 14" Paiste 404s that were pretty beat up when I got them. They were not good. When I got a pair of A. Zildjian's I was over the moon. It's amazing what upgrading hats can do. They're super important.

Are your parents buying? If so, get the hats, a good pair of hats is going to cost more than a good crash, hehe. If your wife or fiance is buying and you guys are on a budget, well... get the hats, because you went out of your way to point out how crappy they sound. =)

Are your parents buying? If so, get the hats, a good pair of hats is going to cost more than a good crash, hehe. If your wife or fiance is buying and you guys are on a budget, well... get the hats, because you went out of your way to point out how crappy they sound. =)

haha my parents im only 14 :p. But i think the hats will be the best choice as it isnt coming out of my wallet haha, thanks

Last edited:
Hats man...you spend more time on them and if you don't like the sound they'd be the first to go if it were me. Next, I'd invest in a quality ride, a crash or two third and then specialty cymbals after that (Splash, China etc)

Last edited:
I'm only familiar with Zildjian cymbals, but there are equivalent cymbals in other brands too.

For you maybe try the A custom cymbals. they have a bright cutting through quality perfect for rock, metal, any music from today basically, even pop.

The A customs arent the same as A cymbals though.

Or even try the Z custom cymbals they are made for rock.

If you want some real character to your sound try K or K custom,, K custom would be nice actually. Just realise they are made for jazz, so dont break them if you pick a thin one.

Also id recommend buying good cymbals, not cheap ones. if you by a good cymbal and look after it you will have it for life. You mentioned you have crap hats, so I assume you dont have awesome other cymbals either. one day you will, but every $ spent on cheap cymbals will set you back because one day you will get rid of them and start buying high quality stuff... if you know what i mean...

might as well get top quality if you would get it someday anyway...

but of course top quality cymbals are around $1000 AUD... probably 900$ USD currently (heheh), well thats for hats (two cymbals), crashes and stuff are cheaper...

Ditto the recommendations on getting the hats first, then the ride, and then the crashes/splashes and finally any effects cymbals you might want or need. Of all the cymbals used in rock, the hats and ride are paramont to making the music sound right, IMO.

ok guys thanks to all. Looks like new hats are the better option. As for a crash sometime in the future, do you think a 16" or 17" would be more compatible with an 18' crash/ride?

Maybe the 16"....it will give you a little more seperation. Then you can buy a 17" later down the track anyway. There's no wrong choice here though IMO.

Glad you've gone with the new hats option too. You've gotta be happy with your gear mate and if you hate the sound of your current HH's I think upgrading them is wise.

Good luck with it Zep

Maybe the 16"....it will give you a little more seperation. Then you can buy a 17" later down the track anyway. There's no wrong choice here though IMO.

Glad you've gone with the new hats option too. You've gotta be happy with your gear mate and if you hate the sound of your current HH's I think upgrading them is wise.

Good luck with it Zep

Thanks for the help mate.
- Zephead

the best option is to get a good and versatile hi-hat .

I think that a 14" in traditional finish will fit any musical style :

my recommendations are :

zildjian a : quick beats or mastersound
sabian : aa medium , aax stage
istambul : traditional medium
bliss : contact

remember , if you don't have a lot of any , don't buy cheap cymbals , you should buy hi-end used cymbals . specially if you are going to buy hi-hat because they can take a lot of punishment and still be in good shape and sound even better than when they were new .

hey,
since you are probably going to get hi hats, make sure you look at all your options, like 13" and 15". I personally use 13" zildjian a custom hi hats and i absolutely love them. Then again i dont play alot of heavy stuff. just go to your local music store and try out as many as you can. 15" inch have a darker sound which you might prefer since you are into the heavier stuff.
Id recommend some zildjians, i personally love them.
Good luck

but of course top quality cymbals are around $1000 AUD... probably 900$ USD currently (heheh), well thats for hats (two cymbals), crashes and stuff are cheaper...

Where are you shopping Matthew? Granted gear costs a hell of a lot more out here and I'm always staggered when reading US prices and doing a rough currency conversion, just how much extra we do have to pay. But, I'll garantee you, you can pick up a set of A Custom HH's for well under A$1000.

Back