What to drink during/after playing/gig?

Funnyman

Lately I've been wondering what would be best to not mess up my body to drink/eat during break and after a gig/jam session, cause I play metal, and 3-4 hours straight, and I get really hot when playing, sometimes even sweaty, and I have a fast metabolism but for some reason I always drink coke when I play, and after I play, and I feel like puking. So what do you guys do? Any suggestions?

For me, lots of water before and after the show. During the show, whatever nice craft beer I just picked up.

My guitarist is partial to Pabst Blue Ribbon 24's, before, during and after show.

I eat very little the day of a show, and no meat. I don't want anything making me feel sluggish, full, or give me an upset tummy. I want to think about nothing but groove.

Water.

You also need electrolytes as well, so some Gatorade or similar sports drink is good to mix in as well, just watch the sugar.

I found Emergen-C is really good. It has all the electrolytes of a sports drinks, plus extra vitamins, but without the sugar of sports drinks.

Soda, coffee and booze actual contribute to dehydration, so one should be careful to not substitute these for water (although I'm not saying avoid such things. I love coffee and a good rum&coke).

I usually have a pint before a show and water during. If my roadie allows it, which is my wife, I will toss back a few more pints after the show!

I forget, 'borrow' some water from a Saxophonist (usually) then drink far too much tea.

That's the way!

No alcohol before!
I stick with water, gatorade/powerade and bananas during cause I have issues with cramping.,

Afterwards the Coronas & Cuervo shots go down like grape juice!

I say save the alcohol until after the show. If you're good about it a few patrons may buy them for you. I find it almost unprofessional to drink during the show. But for the answer to the sweating problem, water and Gator ade. Alcohol will dehydrate you. And a banana at the breaks will also help.

For the more serious among us, this answer is different for everyone, the"no heavy meal/no meat" rule was preached by buddy rich, whereas, for me, my metabolism was so high, 5 full meals a day was the norm plus weight gain shakes,and I could not get over 150 pounds. A good friend of mine was Rush's guitar tech for most of there career, he told me Neil was a Coke head, he would keep a cooler full of cold coke behind the kit.
So really to each his own, set out young man, and find what best works for you.

I forgot to mention, I'm 17, in the U.S, so I can't drink alcohol in bars.

i always drank water, water and more water. why complicate things with alcohol. but then AFTER the show, all bets were off!!! :)

I say save the alcohol until after the show. If you're good about it a few patrons may buy them for you. I find it almost unprofessional to drink during the show. But for the answer to the sweating problem, water and Gator ade. Alcohol will dehydrate you. And a banana at the breaks will also help.

unprofessional to drink during a show?

I cant remember the last show I saw where the band members didnt have a beer next to them.....

I always have a beer and a bottle of water next to my left foot......

I drink water or unsweet ice tea if available. No sugar drinks for me as I am a type II diabetic anyway. After the gig, if thirsty, more water.

Excess sugar causes dehydration, like posted above, and can make you feel like you have a hangover the next day if you drink it to excess.

If I take a drink, it's usually on my back porch or in my shop. I avoid alcohol while playing at all costs however.

Before a gig you should never drink Alcohol.
Alcohollic beverages, actually start to shut down your brain by draining the water out of it, which is what gives you the feeling of being drunk, which you want to stay away from before playing, you want your brain fully active, no matter what you play. In my opinion you should just drink water, as you will sweat a lot, for a 3-4 hour set, you want to keep hydrated.

Jamie

I never have any alcohol before or during a gig. I generally drunk a lot of water and usually one or two Red Bulls or a Powerade (or something like that).

After a gig I might have a drink or two, but I don't have any specific stuff that I drink/eat after a gig.

I never have any alcohol before or during a gig. I generally drunk a lot of water and usually one or two Red Bulls or a Powerade (or something like that).

After a gig I might have a drink or two, but I don't have any specific stuff that I drink/eat after a gig.

Hey, Naigewron! It's Jamie Patterson from PDF.

Just decided to sign up on here too.

Back