What Songs Would You Like to See Transcribed?

There's barely any Ian Paice/Deep Purple transcriptions anywhere on the internet. I did transcribe Burn (still need to put it into my computer), but would love to see other transcriptions....Living Wreck, You Fool No One, Flight of the Rat, Pictures of Home.

If you're really crazy, the Made in Japan Mule solo would be awesomesauce.

Learning to Live by Dream Theater. I'm currently playing through and learning the whole Images and Words album to chuck on Youtube and that one is going to be the most work. It would be nice if someone has already transcribed it!

On Herbie Hancocks Chameleon track, the song changes tempo and feel after about 7 minutes into the recording. Harvey Mason is the drummer, and he plays one of the craziest drum grooves I've ever heard. I'm usually pretty good with being able to copy something I hear, but to this day I still can't play exactly what he's playing. The bass and the drums lock into the pocket super tight at a high tempo, and both of Harvey Masons left and right feet are going crazy on the bass drum and hi hat pedals. And his hands are usually on the the snare the whole time. Crazy song and super good drummer, I think it's like 7:30 minutes into Chameleon by Herbie Hancock.

If you could download the drum score for any song, for free (or for cheap), what titles would you want to see? There are lots that are already out there, and most are very accurate! Here are a couple sites that have lots of free or cheap drum transcriptions:

http://www.robertferrell.com/charts.html

http://www.jkdrumsolutions.com/transcriptions.php

Are there any titles not in the above sites that you'd like to see?

Dave's gone skiing by toto!

Or what about me by snarky puppy :)

I feel like it'd take a month to transcribe any snarky puppy song lol. With snarky puppy and other fusion drummers like nathanial townsly and others, I wonder how much of their playing is just improv, because that would also make it a lot harder to transcribe...

Not surprisingly, a few Vinnie things.

"Raju" and "New Blues Old Bruise" from the Five Peace Band.

"Heavy Resin" from the Document album.

"Actual Proof" and "Seventeen" from AVO Sessions.

I feel like it'd take a month to transcribe any snarky puppy song lol. With snarky puppy and other fusion drummers like nathanial townsly and others, I wonder how much of their playing is just improv, because that would also make it a lot harder to transcribe...

Yes that's true i suppose

Not surprisingly, a few Vinnie things.

Is anyone else interested in this stuff? If 4 or 5 people would purchase it separately, then it might make sense to take on more intense projects like this.

I'm keen for Vinnie stuff. Heavy Resin is a favourite!

"Caught Up"- Aaron Spears version from the MD festival, made popular on YouTube
"Glut" -Nick Smith...and unbelievable performance, even if he breaks his sticks twice
Any of the "gospel chop" type playing would be great. Although there are lots of youtube videos on specific fills, there is not much on entire songs. It would help to get the phrasing and subdivisions down.

Quote:

Nice to see all of these simple, easy, not-at-all-time-consuming requests, haha!

Would anyone be interested in charts for current cover band stuff? Or maybe for students whom you're teaching?

Nice to see all of these simple, easy, not-at-all-time-consuming requests, haha!

Would anyone be interested in charts for current cover band stuff? Or maybe for students whom you're teaching?

Sorry about that I'll try to find some harder ones.

I'm always interested in ideas for teaching. I don't use that many and write them myself. I change jobs quite often and reuse stuff. Some I've used are:

Tequila Sunrise - The Eales
Let it be -
Heltr Skelter -
Sunshine of Your Love
Have You Ever Seen the Rain - Creedence
So much Trouble in the World _ Bob Marley
Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
Another Day - Dream Theater
Ambitions - Donkeyboy
Apologize - Timbaland
Decode - Paramore
The Funeral - Band of Horses
Love Story- Taylor Swift
Use Somebody - Kings of Leon

Tells you it's a while since I did anything but the yougest kids. Classics and a bit of 2009..

Anything by Earl Harvin on the MC900ft Jesus Album - one step ahead of the spider

Also, if it's improve, you have to wonder about the irony of transcribing it so that you can play it verbatim. We've built machines that can fly, but we can't build a machine that flies the way a bird flies. That's just to fluid and beautiful to be reproduced by a mechanism, if you get my analogy.

Also, if it's improve, you have to wonder about the irony of transcribing it so that you can play it verbatim. We've built machines that can fly, but we can't build a machine that flies the way a bird flies. That's just to fluid and beautiful to be reproduced by a mechanism, if you get my analogy.

Definitely, when I study jazz/fusion drummers like that I think it's better just to pick up on what I'll call their "drum mannerisms". Pick up on certain fills they like to play, or technique they constantly use, or other characteristics of their drumming. While it would be super impressive to see people copy these drum patterns note by note, it's also equally important to develop your own style and sound

For me? None. My biggest and best way of learning to play has always been to listen to the music that moves me, and to work out myself what the drummer is doing.

Trial and error has led me to hundreds of "Happy mistakes" that have moved my drumming to different and interesting places over the decades. For me, transcribing Rock and Roll is like trying to explain a classic piece of art or sculpture. You either get the feeling, or you don't.

It amuses me when the first transcription of a song of a certain vintage then becomes the go-to for all future transcriptions. A song like James Brown's Licking Stick, for example, with Jabo on drums. A particular book, which I admire a lot, transcribed a very distinct bass-drum pattern for that song. Now I've listened to the song dozens and dozens of times, and I can't even hear the bass drum, but, sure enough when it is transcribed again, it replicates the same bass-drum pattern from the original book.

Back