What song to play for drum recital?

ZootELoops

My instructor has a bi-monthly recital for his adult students. I have been taking lessons with him once a week since May and now feel comfortable enough to participate.

He said to keep it pretty simple the first time, so I can just get in the groove and have fun, but because I listen to such a wide variety of music, I wanted to get some advice as to what songs (or artists) to look at to help decide which song to play.

Any suggestions/advice?

I assume that you'll be playing drum set? If that's the case, I would recommend finding a bass guitarist to play a few tunes with. I did the same thing at my recital, and it worked out great. We did simple tunes with great grooves, like "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson, and "I Shot the Sheriff" by Bob Marley. Any song that Jeff Porcaro, Ringo Starr, Bernard Purdie, or Steve Gadd played on is a prime candidate for your consideration IMO.

Actually, my instructor has a guitarist/bassist lined up (his other instructors) & he sings. It's just a small intimate gathering in his recording studio for friends and family of his students. Basically just a venue for us to play with actual musicians and show off what we've learned and been practicing - and get a feel for playing in a band scenario. It's not until next month, but he would like for us to select a song, so in lesson we can discuss transcription and I can practice on my own. The night before the recital, we get together with the rest of the "band" for a rehearsal.
Yes, I would be playing the kit but in lesson we have not gotten into much more than the basics, so I don't know how "adventurous" or "challenging" I want to make it. On the other hand, I would like for it to be something unique, something that nobody else is going to play or has played at previous recitals.

I suggest

"who are you" - keith moon, the who- It's a blast to play and everyone knows it from the tv show, CSI

Basic rock songs that are distinct on drums
"warpigs" - Black Sabbath
Walk this way"- Aerosmith

If you're a little more advanced:
"fifty ways to leave your lover"- Paul Simon
"Higher Love"- Steve Winwood

My instructor has a bi-monthly recital for his adult students. I have been taking lessons with him once a week since May and now feel comfortable enough to participate.

He said to keep it pretty simple the first time, so I can just get in the groove and have fun, but because I listen to such a wide variety of music, I wanted to get some advice as to what songs (or artists) to look at to help decide which song to play.

Any suggestions/advice?

To your description, that sounds almost exactly on how my lessons are done too. My recital is actually today and tomorrow. I am playing one song tonight, and three songs tomorrow.

I'm playing Smells Like Teen Spirit, just because it is fun. Nothing to hard at all. The other songs, my instructor picked out for me and the band that I will play with that night.

If I wanted to pick out another song (which I really want to) it would probably be...Roll the Bones (Rush) or Ramble On (Led Zep.) They are both fun songs to play, and kinda easy, if you work on them.

Back