what snare is this?

Drum Guy

i know it's way over modulated on levels but what is the snare here?

What snare size and shell is this? can’t figure out what size or make/model - at 1:26 is only snare glimpse

What is this, but if don’t know, what snare would get you this exact snare sound?

danke!

Rotarded

From a screen grab and blow-up, it looks to be a Ludwig 6.5" x 14" Black Beauty

IBitePrettyHard

From a screen grab and blow-up, it looks to be a Ludwig 6.5" x 14" Black Beauty
Kinda looks like die cast hoops, and the lugs look a little different than a Black Beauty. Also it might be a 5.5" depth?

Regardless, I don't think it matters that much because you can totally get that sound with a Ludwig 14x6.5 Black Beauty like you mentioned. You just need a medium-high tuning......... and it also helps to have a big auditorium with some stadium reverb, and maybe a few thousand people too. ;)

wJkq1K1.png

steadypocket

Gold Member
Kinda looks like die cast hoops, and the lugs look a little different than a Black Beauty. Also it might be a 5.5" depth?

Regardless, I don't think it matters that much because you can totally get that sound with a Ludwig 14x6.5 Black Beauty like you mentioned. You just need a medium-high tuning......... and it also helps to have a big auditorium with some stadium reverb, and maybe a few thousand people too. ;)

wJkq1K1.png

Hard to say. Sarah’s ex (drummer and husband) was a DW endorser. Those lugs clearly aren’t the turret variety we’d associate with DW. Short of asking Aswin Sood directly, we will never know for certain. Of course front of house sound can alter a drum’s tone to virtually anything the sound guy desires so it’s impossible to tell.

steadypocket

Gold Member
Hard to say. Sarah’s ex (drummer and husband) was a DW endorser. Those lugs clearly aren’t the turret variety we’d associate with DW. Short of asking Aswin Sood directly, we will never know for certain. Of course front of house sound can alter a drum’s tone to virtually anything the sound guy desires so it’s impossible to tell.

Oh, and assuming that Sood played the same snare for the entire show, there is an entire DVD of this show. I have one. Perhaps examining the other tracks might produce a better view?

drumnut87

looks like a gretsch to me, but could be anything as it depends on what was available/provided as backline.

Bozozoid

See!..i told! Ya how cool it was to hang here. These boys"'ll get it done for ya. Who else...where else blows up pictures! To do some lieutenant Columbo work...nowhere.

donzo74

That's tough, so blurry. Looks like a Pearl throw off and possibly Masters bridge lugs, so could be a 14x5.5 Pearl Masters or MCX...

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
It looks a bit like a Yamaha Recording custom in Solid Black laquer (came in 5,5 and 6,5) or first gen Manu Katche black brass snare (came in 5,5 only) with Quartz lugs and the B type strainer.

1609535552645.jpeg

1609535636494.jpeg

Last edited:

Drum Guy

yes it really does look like it’s one of these ...if it’s the manu snare, it’ll be The second time in a month I’ve asked about a particular sound and it turns out to be that manu ... it’s a great sound if i can find one in 6.5”

thanks to everyone for some useful suggestions