What size Supraphonic should I purchase?

DizzyApps

Alright Ludwig experts I need your help and I can’t make a decision!

I play mostly rock music. I need help/opinions on whether I should buy the 5” or the 6.5” model. Thanks!

6.5 will never leave you wanting the 5.
5 will always make you feel you should have bought the 6.5.
For Rock, I totally agree. You won't miss the 5".

But if you play other genres of music, you might. The 5" isn't as loud, and it's probably a better choice for funk and jazz, and smaller venues where noise is a factor. You can still do just fine with the 6.5" in those situations, but I think the 5" is ever so slightly better for the quieter, more intricate styles of music.

I have both, and honestly, it's a toss-up. I love them both equally, lol.

Bottom line, you can't lose either way.

Between being unsure and mostly playing rock, I think you should probably go for the 6.5.

I recently bought a 5 and love it, but I'm primarily using it for quieter sessions and studio recording.

I have a 5 and it's great for classic rock and country. However I would like to have a go on 6.5 I've never played one before.

All my snares are sensitones. The sound difference between 5", 5-1/2" and 6-1/2" is very small. Honestly, I can't tell you which one is best. If I HAD to make a recommendation for you, I'd say go with the 6-1/2" because you play mostly Rock.

My dozen or so top snares are all 6.5, except for an 8x14 Black Beauty thrown in for good measure. You will be happy with the 6.5".

5.5in Supra to go ala Steve Gadd AND a BB 6.5 for all heavy Rock....just joking, I'm still convince that the pure look and intention of the Supraphonic is to be used more in 5.5....When player want a 6.5, they go with BB....Personal feeling based on nothing statistic data or whatever

All my snares are 14x6.5 apart from x2 14x5 a 400 and and Acro. A 400 is every bit as good as a 402 and eventually you'll want both in your arsenal.

If you're a rock player a 402 with a Emperor batter and an Ambassador snare side is a great place to start from.

Thankfully no one has yet mentioned anything about what size Supra Bonham used.

Back