What size on a kick should I order?

GrooveSuperfly

I have for about 2 monht ago, order a new shellpack drum set.
Its custom set made by AntonioDrums, I´ts elm set, true solid ( shells are made of solid wood, holoowed out of a trunk ).
I wanted this set in fusion sizes ( pirmary for funk /jazz-rock/fusion ). So sizes will be 10x7,5" ,12x8" and 14x11,5". And 20x16" OR 22x16" . He have allready stated his work ( take a severl month to built) and he will soon start work with the kick.

But...
I can NOT decited what size I want on a basdrum... 20 or 22?
I allreday have a 24 kick on my LA Camco, so It does not have to be big kick.

20x16" kick is about 150 E ( 200$ ) cheaper than 22x16" kick.

So here is what I am wondering about:

-I DO LIKE when kick is looking bigger.
-Some says that you get more punch and more focused and controlled sound out of a 20"kick,
-And from 20 kick I will probabby get less volyme.( not so important maybe?)
-At the same way, I feel that 22 is so much more various to differnt music,than 20 kick. Am I wrong at that point?
- 20 is cheaper.
-Is it worth to pay over 200 dollar more for 2 inches biger kick? And how big differnt, in sound, will those 2 inch made? Is it better att all?

What should you guys ( and girls) choose?

I'd differently go with the 20. It fits the genre better imo and those toms sizes. I don't like kits with small toms and a big kick. If you want a 22" kick I think you should go down to 16 on your toms.

Good luck with your kit.

20" seems to be the ideal gigging size. It's unlikely that you'll hit a situation where you need a booming kick sound where you won't be miced up, but a 20 will boom more than enough when miced. However, having a booming kick sound when the music doesn't ask for it will definitely annoy the other musicians.

My next drum set will have a 20. I currently have a 22 and it isn't as flexible as I'd like it to be. It's also too big to fit in the car with comfort. That get's annoying.

if I had a chance to do it again...

I'd get a 22 or 24.

I played 22 forever. Moved to two 26's... that was fun.

My current rig is my anti-giant kit rig... very small toms and a 20" kick. Been playing it since 1996.

I've grown to love the toms as much as life its self... the small toms are amazing.

I miss the boom and resonance of a larger kick. Whenever I play a 22, or a 24... I get kick envy so bad. Feeling all the toms resonating in sympathy as the beater mashes the head of that sweet 24, the whole kit kinda quivering as one, just waiting to leap out of the gate...

I get a bit of that with my 20 - but not nearly to the extent I did with my 22 or the 24's I'll play.

*sigh*

We kinda crave the stuff we don't have, sometimes. And for me, its a larger kick.

-K

Last edited:
I'd personally suggest a 20" for that style. I've heard 20" kicks that can sound bigger than most 22's and can sound like a 14"x18" when needed, depending on heads and tuning. They are, in my opinion, one of the most versatile bass drum sizes around. Between EMAD or Superkick II heads and kickports and Subkicks and everything else that's been developed, you can really get a nice big sound out of it if need be, and get it down nice and tight for your jazz or smaller-venue gigs. 20's are also sooooo much easier to transport. Getting them in and out of cars, through venue doors, around corners, and on stage is such a God-send. I can't swear by a 20" more.

The last bass drum that I bought was a 20" x 16". I love it. It was the first 20" bass that I bought since 1965.

Dennis

I've played a 20" kick for the last 15 years and never once regretted it. In fact, I get steamed at how there aren't more shell kits out there with 20" kicks as an option. It's a great, versatile, all-around well-suited size for rock, funk, jazz, country, etc. And of course, it's cheaper and 2 inches less to transport =)

I understaind guys... :)

It will be 20.

Thanks for advice.

( But I am little bit suprize, that there was not more wotes on 22" ? Could it have to do with fusion /funk music I wrote about, or is out there simply more 20" endores/ does 20 sound simply better than 22"?)

I understand guys... :)

It will be 20.

Thanks for advice.

( But I am little bit surprised, that there was not more votes on 22" ? Could it have to do with fusion /funk music I wrote about, or is out there simply more 20" endorse/ does 20 sound simply better than 22"?)

There's nothing wrong with a 22" bass drum at all, most of my bass drums are 22" in diameter. I just feel that in most situations a 20" will fit the musical genre as well as a 22". The main difference is that the 20" won't go as low in it's fundamental tuning as will a 22". Physically the 20" drum will transport easier and take-up a bit less space in its set-up than what a 22 will. Depending on the head situation and its tuning, the 20" bass drum will encompass a great selection of genres that bass drums from 18" through 22" would be normally used.

Oh, and they're sexy looking, lol.

Dennis

I understaind guys... :)

It will be 20.

Thanks for advice.

( But I am little bit suprize, that there was not more wotes on 22" ? Could it have to do with fusion /funk music I wrote about, or is out there simply more 20" endores/ does 20 sound simply better than 22"?)

Another vote for the 20.

A 20 doesn't sound better than a 22, just different.

20 gives a great sound, I had one on my last kit. And true that it's easier to transport!

But I always found I had to tune mine really low to get the pitch I wanted, and then the head was pretty slack. The same pitch on a 22 gave me the beater response I prefer. So on my current kit I have a 22.

So I vote for 22! Call me a dinosaur. (never say never though - if I get a second kit I would certainly still consider a 20 for variety)

Reason , MOST why I am consdering 22 is acctualy how it will look .
And, second reason, litlle-litle bit sound.

I have for a few years ago Trixon vintage drumsset with 20 kick.It was "tight" sound, but not low and mellow as I hade on my other drums I own at that time ( I have in same room my Slingerland with 24" kick, and that was a killer kick!!!!)
So, at that point, I was not sooooo happy with 20". BUT , that was different sets, vintage, one (Trixon) from early 60:s, 6 ply beech, with different heads than I hade on my huge 3ply 70:s maple Slingerland.

When I talk with differnt custom drum builders, they ALL said same ( allmost), that I will get deeper and more focused sound out of solid drums ( Steambent) campare to ply constructions drums.
And even more deepth a better tunning range with stave drums...
And even MORE bass, wood sound, projection from a solid shell drums than stave... So.... If thats true, what they says, to only 50% ,,, there will no be reason to get nme a bigger that 18" ?!?
I was listening to AntonioDrums 18" kick ( one recorded with zoom, and other record with only 2 OH mics, without EQ), and yes, they realy sound deeeeeep!!!!!

But att the same time, I am 2+ meter tall... so it will maybe look like I am sitting behind childdrumset?!?!
Stupid, I know.... but,,,,

But it will be 20".

Reason , MOST why I am consdering 22 is acctualy how it will look ....

...But att the same time, I am 2+ meter tall... so it will maybe look like I am sitting behind childdrumset?!?!
Stupid, I know.... but,,,,

If you don't have any pictures of yourself with your old set with the 20" kick, maybe you should go to a music store and have someone take a pic of you sitting behind a set with a 20.
Then you'll know how it'll look to others (if it matters that much).

Back