What size kick for rock / pop?

DenK

Will be playing mostly Classic Rock / Pop and thinking 22 X 18" would be a good choice and seems to be the most popular but can't find that much information on this subject.

Last edited:
That's because this is mostly a personal choice. If you know you'll be miking up most of the time, then you can go smaller if you want. If you have no problem transporting a bigger drum, then you can go bigger. I say if you don't know what you'll be playing or under what conditions, 22" is a great all-around size to be able to play anything. And besides, everywhere you go, there will be a bigger selection of 22" bass drum heads at any shop. If you decide to play some off-size, you may have to order heads, or get used to what's available of what little is out there. I play three sizes: 20", 22", or 26" and choose according to what I'm doing (or most likely how I feel), and I can use all three for anything I'm asked to play, so it's personal.

You can't go wrong with a 22". It's by far the most popular size and for a reason. It will give you a good solid foundation for most kinds of music. I really like my 20" though.

Depth is another factor. I like to keep it at 14" for response and portability reasons.

22" is the most popular for sure, but 20" also works great. Most 22s are 22x18, but most people here on the forums have begun to prefer 22x16 or 22x14 because they're easier for transport, and supposedly don't lack any low end.

The prevailing wisdom here seems to suggest that the DEPTH matters just as much or more when determining if a bass drum is easily transportable. For instance, a 24x14 can be easier to transport than a 22x18.

I went with a 20" bass drum because I lean a little toward the jazzier side. It still works great for Rock though.

That's because this is mostly a personal choice. If you know you'll be miking up most of the time, then you can go smaller if you want. If you have no problem transporting a bigger drum, then you can go bigger. I say if you don't know what you'll be playing or under what conditions, 22" is a great all-around size to be able to play anything. And besides, everywhere you go, there will be a bigger selection of 22" bass drum heads at any shop. If you decide to play some off-size, you may have to order heads, or get used to what's available of what little is out there. I play three sizes: 20", 22", or 26" and choose according to what I'm doing (or most likely how I feel), and I can use all three for anything I'm asked to play, so it's personal.
Researching seems like 14 depth is more important than the 24" Are the 20" heads easy to find?

Researching seems like 14 depth is more important than the 24" Are the 20" heads easy to find?
Depends on where you are. Here in Southern California, I'm used to being able to find what I need, and where I shop they usually have what I need in any size. This may not be the case in other states or areas. Depth is important on the transportation issue too. A 14" deep bass drum has been the standard depth for a long time , and now you can go out to 20" deep - but as you go deeper, the sound changes slightly, but the bigger hassle is how much stage space you take up, and how much space you need to get it in to the car. For instance, I have a 22x18 bass drum that I can't get into the back cab of my truck, but I have no problem getting my 26x14 in there. And a 14" depth puts me closer face-to-face with the other band members which is important in my situation, and I take up less stage real estate.

I played a 22X14 for many, many years and it worked great. Then I tried a 20X14 and that has taken over as my bass drum of choice. Really it is because it is easier to transport, lighter, and it is a tad punchier.

22x14 is my personal favourite. I use a 20x14 for gigging for ease of transport.

Heads are easy to get up to 26".

For the no metal alround drummer I think bith 20 and 22 are equally common. Older guys and people playing more souf, funk and folk stuff probably lean more towards the 20 and younger guys or guys with a slighlty heavier rock and fusion style probalby go for 22s more often.

There are many reasons to choose a bass drum size besides sound like, logistics, stage space, visuals etc....

22" x 18" is ideal IMO.

If you play a lot of tight spaces, then go with a 20" x 14".

I have both a 22x18 and 20x16 and if I had just one, for portability benefits I’d take the 20 any day of the week. Surprisingly packs just as much punch and low end as the 22 plus better positioning of rack tom. I don’t think there’s any major loss in volume either plus irrelevant if your miked.

My 2¢ is that 18" depths look absolutely ridiculous, make transport more difficult, offer no sonic benefits when ported/mic'd, and offer questionable benefits when un-ported.

I'm a 24x14 guy, though I'd be relatively content with 22x14.

I personally like 22x16. I also have 22x18 but just prefer the 16. :)

If you're only going to have only one bass drum--and transporting or stage space restrictions aren't an issue--then I would go with a 22" in either 14" or 16" depth. The difference between a 14" and 16" depth isn't all that significant. I would forgo an 18" deep bass drum if at all possible unless it has incredible sound/tone.

If you plan on ultimately having two bass drums then I would personally go with a 20" bass drum (again in 14" or 16" depth) and add on a 24" bass drum (14" or 16" depth) when you get the chance. If you mic your bass drum for gigging the 20" would likely meet most of your needs. A 20" and 24" would cover a lot of bases (no pun intended).

To keep it simple I'd recommend a 22" bass drum. It's pretty much the standard size so finding heads will be easy and it's easy enough to transport.

As far as depth goes, I've had 14", 16", and 18" depths, and while I have a personal preference I wouldn't rule out a shell pack for bass drum depth alone.

I use a 20 x 14 for about 90% of my gigs . It is so versatile and when miced will do a more than serviceable job for you .

That being said - when I was in the market for a deeper sounding bass drum . I considered a 22 x 14 but found there was not a huge different in tone between the 20 and 22” . I opted for a 24 x 14” bass drum and it is one of the best drum decisions I have ever made . I love this bass drum size too.
It feels very different to play the 24” compared to the 20” but you will get used to it quickly .

I am not a fan of bass drums longer than 16” depth . I dislike the beater response . I also find it unwieldy on some smaller stages too, not to mention it is pain to get in and out of my car .

Here's another vote for either a 20" or a 22x14-or-16. I have a DW set with an 18x22" bass, and like several have said, the extra depth doesn't give you anything. Except maybe a backache.

My 16x20 bass is probably the most versatile of my bass drums. I can play rock, blues, etc. with good tone and projection. And it's less bulky, lighter, easier to carry.

Back