What should I upgrade to?

Ghawk

Hi all, I'm new here

I've decided it's time to upgrade my old 90s Pearl to something nicer looking and sounding. I'm willing to spend up to £2000 and will be using it for mostly recording and a few gigs here and there.

Maybe a Yamaha Tour Custom or Pearl Masters? Really not sure what to get, if anyone can recommend me a kit has any advice I would appreciate your input.

Many thanks

I went through this analysis recently with a budget of roughly $2,000. You can find nice quality kits with most of the major manufacturers in that range, but we ultimately went with Mapex Saturn Vs (not on the snare though).

We’re all after something different, but important factors for us were bang for buck, deep, warm sound with long-ish sustain, and ability to tune across a broad range (not necessarily in that order). Plus, the finish on their exotic line is beautiful.

Good luck. We found the process fun.

Look at the Tama starclassic series as well. Top notch all the way, imho outside of sonor sq2 series there’s no finer drum out there from the major manufacturers.

Look at the Tama starclassic series as well. Top notch all the way, imho outside of sonor sq2 series there’s no finer drum out there from the major manufacturers.

Good suggestion. We had it narrowed down to Tama Starclassic and the Mapex and I’m sure we would have been happy with either. If resale is important (it wasn’t to us) I think the Tamas hold their value better. At least in the northeast of the US.

Good suggestion. We had it narrowed down to Tama Starclassic and the Mapex and I’m sure we would have been happy with either. If resale is important (it wasn’t to us) I think the Tamas hold their value better. At least in the northeast of the US.

I sat down on a set of saturns Saturday at gc and the Toms sounded amazing but the bass drum was a little lacking. I don’t remember the head combo it had on it but it was not good. Did you keep the stock heads on?

I sat down on a set of saturns Saturday at gc and the Toms sounded amazing but the bass drum was a little lacking. I don’t remember the head combo it had on it but it was not good. Did you keep the stock heads on?

yes - stock heads for now. I think they’re emperors on the Toms, I don’t recall on the bass drum, but no complaints. My guess is that the heads were tightened down too much / tuned too high.

Reactions: TJK
How about Pearl Masters Maple Gum, or the good old Yamaha Recording.
Not on his 2,000 budget. The maple gums are really popular so those prices won't come down any time soon. Recording Customs are just classic and even used most kits push the 2,000 range. I'm thinking Pearl Masters maple, even the Session Select are nice drums. All the big manufacturers have nice offerings of new stuff in the sub-2,000 range. I wouldn't want to take away the fun and suggest something - go check them all out and see what you come up with ;)

I don't know how much they cost in the UK, but in my opinion, the two 5 piece kits you should look at first in your price range are the Gretsch Renown and the Tama Starclassic Birch/Walnut.

This was my conclusion after months and months of research when I was shopping for a kit. They're by far the best bang for your buck and sound as good as drums costing 3x as much.

In the end I decided on the Renown and I can't recommend it enough.

Does your budget include upgrading cymbals too? If so, that changes the conversation. If not, I think you have some sound advice. Also, don’t forget the used market as well.

Thank you all for the replies. I already have a top quality cymbal collection and hardware.

As for sizes I'm after 22 Kick, 10, 12, rack tom and 16 floor tom.

I will be looking at those kits you have recommended me and hopefully I can try them out at my local store

£2k is a nice ball bark just for a kit.

It's another vote for the Saturn V here. I'm a very happy owner, amazing sounding kit for the money. You'll have enough left over to get a snare for life too.

You'll be able to take your pick on the used market with that budget. For the 10/12/16 sizes that's a fairly modern configuration.

Hi all, I'm new here

I've decided it's time to upgrade my old 90s Pearl to something nicer looking and sounding. I'm willing to spend up to £2000 and will be using it for mostly recording and a few gigs here and there.

Maybe a Yamaha Tour Custom or Pearl Masters? Really not sure what to get, if anyone can recommend me a kit has any advice I would appreciate your input.

Many thanks

its entirely up to you and what sounds good to YOUR ears, head around some shops and play some in person if you can, OR do some research on youtube and see what take your ear. are you UK based? if so you could look into a custom kit for yourself for £2000 and get something a bit more personal :)

The Tour Custom’s are not a bad choice for recording and gigs. Maple shells deliver in recording and they are light weight for packing up and ease of transporting.
Renown’s are super well, substantially built, and are every bit a professional level kit for the price.
Also agree with Bo on the Masters Maple. I hit on one recently, they are really nice, and the finishes are very well done.

Personally I think you should save some more and get something a level up from the choices you are considering now . The Tour Customs and Pearl Masters are ok but I am pretty sure you will be wanting to upgrade again in a few years .

I'll throw my two cents in and recommend any of the higher-end Gretsch drums.

Back