What should I buy next?? I'm trying not to be too much over my first goal...

Quai34

Well, you had warn me, if I start to go this rabbit hole, it will be tough...If you read again my first post about my "small collection of snares", I was thinking about 10...I'm already at 16 with more of some stuff I would have never thought...For example, 2 14X8" when I thought I was a shallow snare guy...and only one 5", zéro 5,5 (Ok 2 on my list) and a lot of 6,5"...Some wood like Zebrawood or Sendan I wasn't even knew it existed!!
Anyway, here is my recap about my current collection, and what I could/should buy after that, let me know, I know you helped me a lot in the past, there is for sure some stuff i haven't thought about yet.

SIZES & BRANDS FOR SNARES

I) SIZES
A) All Together

In Bold, Snares I have
, in normal, Snare I have planned to buy, so, 16+3 = 19 ??

Size / Model / Brand
1) 5.0 Maple, Star Reserve, Single Ply, Tama
2) 5.5 ??? INDé Aluminium or Yamaha RC Aluminium?? Or Pearl Sensitone Bronze 5,5??
3) 5.75 Brass, Benny Greb V2, Sonor.
4) 5.75 Beech, Benny Greb V2, Multiply, Sonor
5) 6.0 Maple, Mappa Burl Starphonic, Multiply, Tama
6) 6.25 Purpleheart, Single Ply, "Gold/Brass" Hardware, Summit
7) 6.5 Purpleheart, Single Ply, Black Hardware, Summit
8) 6.5 Cherry, Single Ply, INDé/Summit
9) 6.5 Birch/Walnut/Rosewood, Multiply, Mapex.
10) 6.5 Walnut 30th Anniversary, Multiply, Mapex.
11) 6.5 Aluminium Modelled 2N, Dunnet
12) 6.5 Sendan, Star Reserve, Single Ply, Tama
13) 6.5 Mahogany, Stable Stave, AVA Drums.
14) 6.5 Aluminium, Cast, AVA Drums.
15) 6.5 Brass, Recording Custom, Yamaha.

16) 7.0 Copper Raw, Starphonic, Tama (900)
17) 7.0 Maple/Zebrawood, Multiply, Tama.
18) 8.0 Walnut, Single Ply, Summit
19) 8.0 Beech/Mahogany, Single Ply, Summit

Ok, So, question 1)
Do you think it make sense to get the Bronze Sensitone in 5,5 instead of any Aluminium because i have already 2 Aluminium Snares? Even if 5,5 seems shallow for a deep/low end material like Bronze? Or teh fact that it's already low end means a shallow drums is even better? I prefer the shorter lugs of this snare anyway. For the two other snares, the beech Sonor Benny Greb and the TAMA raw Copper, I have been thinking about them for so long that as soon as I find them at a correct price (And when I have or if i have the funds, I will buy them)

B) Number of Snares per Side

5.0 = 1
5.5 = 0 (1 with the Pearl Sensitone Bronze 5.5)
5.75 = 2
6 = 1
6.25 = 1
6.5 = 9
7 = 1
8 = 2

Needs more 5 and 5.5 and 6, maybe one 7
Yes:
1) Sensitone 5.5 Bronze
2) Raw Copper 7.0

Question 2)
Do you think I have too many 6,5"? It came a bit like that, I haven't planned this, I know it,s supposed to be the most polyvalent size right? As I said, I would have never thought I could like 7,0 and 8,0 sanres but they are awesome, the Tama Maple Zebrawood and the 2 Summit. So, which 5.5" would you buy?

II) MATERIALS
A) All Together

1) MAPLE SINGLE PLY (Tama Star Reserve)
2) MAPLE MAPPA BURL MULTIPLY (Tama Starphonic)
3) MAPLE ZEBRAWOOD MULTIPLY (Tama SLP)
4) SENDAN SINGLE PLY (Tama Star Reserve)
5) BIRCH/WALNUT/ROSEWOOD MULTIPY (Mapex Shadow)
6) WALNUT SINGLE PLY (Summit 15X8")
7) WALNUT MULTIPLY (Mapex 30th Anniversary)
8) & 9) 2 PURPLEHEART SINGLE PLY (Summit 14X6.25 & 14X6.5)
10) BEECH/MAHOGANY/BEECH SINGLE PLY (Summit 14X8")
11) CHERRY SINGLE PLY (INDé/Summit)
12) MAHOGANY MULTI STAVE (Ava Drums Stable Stave)
13) ROLLED AND SEAMED BRASS (Yamaha Recording Custom)
14) SEAMLESS BRASS (Sonor Benny Greb 2.0)
15) CAST ALUMINIUM (Ava Drums)
16) SEAMLESS ALUMINIUM (Dunnett Modelled 2N)

2 ALUMINIUM
2 BRASS

B) TYPES OF WOOD
11 TYPES OF WOOD: Maple Single Ply, Maple Multiply Mappa Burl, Maple Multipy Zebrawood, Sendan Single Ply, Birch/Walnut/Rosewood Multiply, Walnut Single Ply, Walnut Multiply, Purpleheart Single Ply (X2), Beech/Mahogany/Beech Single Ply, Cherry Single Ply, Mahogany Multi Stave.

C) TYPE OF METAL
4 TYPES OF METAL: Rolled and Seamed Brass, Seamless Brass, Seamless Aluminium, Cast Aluminium.

Question 3)
Any other material I should think about besides Copper and Bronze?? A birch One, a Steel one? I was thinking about the Yamaha Steve Gadd...Or a Dunnet Steel...

III) BRANDS
1) TAMA = 4
2) SUMMIT = 4
3) MAPEX = 2
4) AVA DRUMS = 2
5) SONOR = 1 (2 with the future BG Beech)
6) YAMAHA = 1
7) DUNNET = 1
8) INDé = 1

I know, I have no Ludwig, but I have already said it, I'm not a bog fan of the Imperial lugs and every one has BB and Supra but i was never impressed like Crazy about them (Preferred the Dunnet for a Supra sound for example..). So, one of you had suggested, 4 or 5 of the main manufacturers plus 2/3 more boutique ones, so:

Question 4)
Should I consider that with Tama, Yamaha, Sonor and Mapex, I have quite a correct number of brand among the main manufacturers and with the AVA, Summit, Dunnet and Indé, I'm quite covered about more boutique snares? I have no Pearl, should be done with the Sensitone...Any suggestions? I had thought about N&C, they are not that expensive finally, like a Copper N&C ?? I looked at Joyfull Noise, magnificent but too expensive!! Cask Drums? I don't know how much they cost, any idea?

and.... THAT'S IT FOR THE QUESTIONS I STILL HAVE AT THAT POINT!!! Yeah...

Well, you had warn me, if I start to go this rabbit hole, it will be tough...If you read again my first post about my "small collection of snares", I was thinking about 10...I'm already at 16 with more of some stuff I would have never thought...For example, 2 14X8" when I thought I was a shallow snare guy...and only one 5", zéro 5,5 (Ok 2 on my list) and a lot of 6,5"...Some wood like Zebrawood or Sendan I wasn't even knew it existed!!
Anyway, here is my recap about my current collection, and what I could/should buy after that, let me know, I know you helped me a lot in the past, there is for sure some stuff i haven't thought about yet.

SIZES & BRANDS FOR SNARES

I) SIZES
A) All Together

In Bold, Snares I have
, in normal, Snare I have planned to buy, so, 16+3 = 19 ??

Size / Model / Brand
1) 5.0 Maple, Star Reserve, Single Ply, Tama
2) 5.5 ??? INDé Aluminium or Yamaha RC Aluminium?? Or Pearl Sensitone Bronze 5,5??
3) 5.75 Brass, Benny Greb V2, Sonor.
4) 5.75 Beech, Benny Greb V2, Multiply, Sonor
5) 6.0 Maple, Mappa Burl Starphonic, Multiply, Tama
6) 6.25 Purpleheart, Single Ply, "Gold/Brass" Hardware, Summit
7) 6.5 Purpleheart, Single Ply, Black Hardware, Summit
8) 6.5 Cherry, Single Ply, INDé/Summit
9) 6.5 Birch/Walnut/Rosewood, Multiply, Mapex.
10) 6.5 Walnut 30th Anniversary, Multiply, Mapex.
11) 6.5 Aluminium Modelled 2N, Dunnet
12) 6.5 Sendan, Star Reserve, Single Ply, Tama
13) 6.5 Mahogany, Stable Stave, AVA Drums.
14) 6.5 Aluminium, Cast, AVA Drums.
15) 6.5 Brass, Recording Custom, Yamaha.

16) 7.0 Copper Raw, Starphonic, Tama (900)
17) 7.0 Maple/Zebrawood, Multiply, Tama.
18) 8.0 Walnut, Single Ply, Summit
19) 8.0 Beech/Mahogany, Single Ply, Summit

Ok, So, question 1)
Do you think it make sense to get the Bronze Sensitone in 5,5 instead of any Aluminium because i have already 2 Aluminium Snares? Even if 5,5 seems shallow for a deep/low end material like Bronze? Or teh fact that it's already low end means a shallow drums is even better? I prefer the shorter lugs of this snare anyway. For the two other snares, the beech Sonor Benny Greb and the TAMA raw Copper, I have been thinking about them for so long that as soon as I find them at a correct price (And when I have or if i have the funds, I will buy them)

B) Number of Snares per Side

5.0 = 1
5.5 = 0 (1 with the Pearl Sensitone Bronze 5.5)
5.75 = 2
6 = 1
6.25 = 1
6.5 = 9
7 = 1
8 = 2

Needs more 5 and 5.5 and 6, maybe one 7
Yes:
1) Sensitone 5.5 Bronze
2) Raw Copper 7.0

Question 2)
Do you think I have too many 6,5"? It came a bit like that, I haven't planned this, I know it,s supposed to be the most polyvalent size right? As I said, I would have never thought I could like 7,0 and 8,0 sanres but they are awesome, the Tama Maple Zebrawood and the 2 Summit. So, which 5.5" would you buy?

II) MATERIALS
A) All Together

1) MAPLE SINGLE PLY (Tama Star Reserve)
2) MAPLE MAPPA BURL MULTIPLY (Tama Starphonic)
3) MAPLE ZEBRAWOOD MULTIPLY (Tama SLP)
4) SENDAN SINGLE PLY (Tama Star Reserve)
5) BIRCH/WALNUT/ROSEWOOD MULTIPY (Mapex Shadow)
6) WALNUT SINGLE PLY (Summit 15X8")
7) WALNUT MULTIPLY (Mapex 30th Anniversary)
8) & 9) 2 PURPLEHEART SINGLE PLY (Summit 14X6.25 & 14X6.5)
10) BEECH/MAHOGANY/BEECH SINGLE PLY (Summit 14X8")
11) CHERRY SINGLE PLY (INDé/Summit)
12) MAHOGANY MULTI STAVE (Ava Drums Stable Stave)
13) ROLLED AND SEAMED BRASS (Yamaha Recording Custom)
14) SEAMLESS BRASS (Sonor Benny Greb 2.0)
15) CAST ALUMINIUM (Ava Drums)
16) SEAMLESS ALUMINIUM (Dunnett Modelled 2N)

2 ALUMINIUM
2 BRASS

B) TYPES OF WOOD
11 TYPES OF WOOD: Maple Single Ply, Maple Multiply Mappa Burl, Maple Multipy Zebrawood, Sendan Single Ply, Birch/Walnut/Rosewood Multiply, Walnut Single Ply, Walnut Multiply, Purpleheart Single Ply (X2), Beech/Mahogany/Beech Single Ply, Cherry Single Ply, Mahogany Multi Stave.

C) TYPE OF METAL
4 TYPES OF METAL: Rolled and Seamed Brass, Seamless Brass, Seamless Aluminium, Cast Aluminium.

Question 3)
Any other material I should think about besides Copper and Bronze?? A birch One, a Steel one? I was thinking about the Yamaha Steve Gadd...Or a Dunnet Steel...

III) BRANDS
1) TAMA = 4
2) SUMMIT = 4
3) MAPEX = 2
4) AVA DRUMS = 2
5) SONOR = 1 (2 with the future BG Beech)
6) YAMAHA = 1
7) DUNNET = 1
8) INDé = 1

I know, I have no Ludwig, but I have already said it, I'm not a bog fan of the Imperial lugs and every one has BB and Supra but i was never impressed like Crazy about them (Preferred the Dunnet for a Supra sound for example..). So, one of you had suggested, 4 or 5 of the main manufacturers plus 2/3 more boutique ones, so:

Question 4)
Should I consider that with Tama, Yamaha, Sonor and Mapex, I have quite a correct number of brand among the main manufacturers and with the AVA, Summit, Dunnet and Indé, I'm quite covered about more boutique snares? I have no Pearl, should be done with the Sensitone...Any suggestions? I had thought about N&C, they are not that expensive finally, like a Copper N&C ?? I looked at Joyfull Noise, magnificent but too expensive!! Cask Drums? I don't know how much they cost, any idea?

and.... THAT'S IT FOR THE QUESTIONS I STILL HAVE AT THAT POINT!!! Yeah...
There's no 402 Supraphonic in that lot buy one of those mate great collection of snares ya got there cheers.

Sell the lot and replace them with 6 to 10 truly great, iconic drums. Like Black Beauties, COB Supraphonics, Tama Bell Brass, Noble & Cooley, Craviotto etc
Yeah, like everyone, so, it will not be my collection, what I liked when I spotted or started to be interested in snares...And I prefer the sound of my Dunnet and was not crazy about the sound of a BB...I realized there is quite a lot of people who had bought a BB and sold them because it was not for them...
Tama Bell Brass, too expensive, 4000$ on a snare, too much for what I consider and I don't need a too big of a sound like this for me.. N&C yes, either a Copper or a Wood, maybe both but I haven't decided yet what type of wood and size i want from them and their demos on their website are not super good...
BB is not an iconic drum for me, Bell brass as well, I will never play it, too loud, too heavy, I will risk to break my toes in moving it, with my crappy legs due to my disability, I cannot take the risk...
Craviottos, there is a thread about if it's too expensive or not or worth the price, ok, it's about a full kit but I,m taking the time to read ALL answers, on both thread, to make up my mind to have one...
Last, almost all of you told me, when I started to buy some high ned snare only or think about high ned that there were pure jewels on medium ones like the SLP line and I discovered that with great pleasure, especially after the huge bump in price sanres took recently...

There's no 402 Supraphonic in that lot buy one of those mate great collection of snares ya got there cheers.
My 402 is my Dunnett, I played them side by side, I prefer the Dunnett!! I even bought the Dunnett to have a Supra on steroids.

If you want a very versatile drum, check out the recently discontinued Tama KA154 Trackmaster.

7B2407FF-12D3-4610-ACF6-40952E27ACE8.jpeg

Don't buy any more snare drums until you can do this:

:ROFLMAO:

Having....or doing? :unsure:

Last edited:
Don't buy any more snare drums until you can do this:

:ROFLMAO:

Having....or doing? :unsure:
Are you kidding! me. That is inspiring!. 😲. From the original post..how can a drummer like that many snaredrums...im still searching for the (one) holy grail..i do envy drummers that like 30 snaredrums..i don't understand it....but I envy that.

On the marching snaredrum solo from Memphis drum shop above I just watched it for a second time..i SO want to be able to do that..THAT was frikkin amazing!. Damn!..that got my blood pumping. Wow!. 😁.

Only play one at a time +/-

On the marching snaredrum solo from Memphis drum shop above I just watched it for a second time..i SO want to be able to do that..THAT was frikkin amazing!. Damn!..that got my blood pumping. Wow!. 😁.

Seeing is believing. I'll never get there, but I'm OK with that.

Seeing is believing. I'll never get there, but I'm OK with that.
Not only was I mesmerized..i kept thinking how long it took to be able to do that. Obviously I can't do that kind of thing during the 👰 and groom dollar dance but just doing it for ME in the basement is a motivating factor. I'll be watching this for weeks. Tonight after my 2nd beer (at home) I'm going to say...honey! honey! you gotta see this. Can't wait.

Not only was I mesmerized..i kept thinking how long it took to be able to do that. Obviously I can't do that kind of thing during the 👰 and groom dollar dance but just doing it for ME in the basement is a motivating factor. I'll be watching this for weeks. Tonight after my 2nd beer (at home) I'm going to say...honey! honey! you gotta see this. Can't wait.
Kind of useless for any kind of musical context, except maybe marching. But fantastic for showing off, and a sheer joy to watch.

For Quai34 - I have absolutely no idea what you should get next.
Most of the snares you have listed are above what I would pay for one.

I know you said "....I know, I have no Ludwig, but I have already said it, I'm not a bog fan of the Imperial lugs and every one has BB and Supra but i was never impressed like Crazy about them...", but IMO a snare collection isn't complete without a Ludwig.

You have a ton of stuff. It would be a tragedy if something were to happen and you lose it all. It's an investment at this point.
Yes, I see it a bit like that too and to have something to give to my kids and grand kids...I cannot find the name of a cie that is specialized in instruments and musicians? Do you have one? I know that it will be covered even when you play outside and bring them to a show...I have a list of what I have, for keys, pedals, guitars and basses, I need to put a price on each one but my usual house insurance will always be super expensive and the always find to refund you the minimum, I would prefer a guy who understand musicians...

Back