What shoes do you wear for drumming?

I have a pair a Asics running shoes. Still need to get some good shoes though that have a thinner sole so i have more feel.

Being from CA, I almost always wear flip-flops until winter hits. Then, anything comfortable.

Gig shoes = everyday shoes... big fan of Hoka. For my feet they are amazingly comfortable - and have great arch support. As one ages, arch support becomes important. Really!!

Last edited:
Any of these. Black is for dressier gigs. Looks like the last one was muddy.

37262242-DF0F-4511-94EC-F0A6E1BAB2D5.jpeg

What did Neil Peart say Freddie Gruber told him in the Work in Progress video? "Don't play drums wearing sneakers".
Well...with all due respect to Freddie, I can play just fine in them. No dancin' shoes for this guy! :LOL:

That being said, I prefer to go shoeless, but as I don't trust the floors of most bar stages, most gigs it's Chuck Taylor's.

Sperry boat/dock shoes or Magnanni dress boots.

Not the black New Balance court shoes that I wear when it has rained. Too much sole.

barefoot, no matter the gig

metal/punk gig? - bareoot
wedding? - barefoot
hot rod show? - barefoot
corporate luncheon? - barefoot

I wear shoes there to it what ever uniform I need to have on, but they come off once I get behind the kit

…and from what I recall Neil wore dancing shoes the rest of his career.
Hard to argue with the results. 👌

and on the flip side, Gene Hoglund wears combat boots when he plays...and it is hard to argue with his results as well. I just don't get how he play as fast as he does with all of that stiff weight on his feet

I wear Vans. So far the Berles have been the most durable, but they collect pebbles, and the insoles have started to shred, and they're sewn into the shoes. AVEs have been good too, but the soles have started to separate from the leather part of the shoe. Some shoe glue does go a long way.

For casual gigs ……..

27FD51B0-A335-4961-9A66-71590C3D473B.jpeg

5D61F106-5CF0-4D88-A9FC-CA09215D589E.jpeg

For more dressy formal gigs …..

A11BECF3-3545-42BF-BC9E-7EDF80BE0DCE.jpeg

I kid , but I’m either in socks or barefoot . Never could play as well with footwear as opposed to socks or barefoot. Wish I could . I lose all feel and control of my pedals to an extent with any shoes on .
I’ll wear black socks on a more formal gig ( no one’s ever noticed) and usually wear a loafer I can skip on easily for breaks .

Count me as another vote for barefoot!

…and from what I recall Neil wore dancing shoes the rest of his career.
Hard to argue with the results. 👌
Oh, 100%!
Freddie put him on a good course and he made the best of it.

I live in England, so too cold to play in socks (although that does feel surprisingly good). I prefer Vans/Converse style pumps (mine are cheap knock offs) with very little sponginess in the sole.
I'm from England. They say utilities could go up as much as 80%. Isn't it shocking?

Back