What shall I upgrade?

BabyBob

Silver Member
Hai guys & girls of DW forum,

I'd was thinking which cymbal shall I upgrade when I have enough $$$. FYI, my cymbal set up is...

Hi-Hats : Sabian XS 20 14" Hats
Crashes: 1)Zildjian 18" A Medium Thin Crash
2) Zildjian ZBT 16" Crash (Came with my kit)
Ride : Zildjian ZBT 20" Ride

My main question is shall I upgrade the Hats or the Ride first? I don't really use the Ride that much compared to my hats so I need some opinions. If I'm going to change my ride, 90% of the chances I'm going with the Sabian AAX Stadium Ride unless you people have better that are in my budget. Hats I'm not so sure about it.

Speaking about that my budget will be around RM 1100+- (Roughly 350USD+-) Prefer brighter cymbals but also open to darker ones just not too dark, also open to used but as you may/may not know the Used market for drums in my country is small so please suggest me both new and used options.

Thanks and Have a Nice Day.
BB

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
Your hats are XS 20 which are pretty decent cymbals. Your ride and small crash, however, are ZBT dogs. Prioritise on getting those upgraded. I would do the ride first, the crash second. Cheaper rides sound worse than cheaper crashes, and ride are more expensive and so better to get out of the way sooner!

The AAX Stadium ride is a beast - what kind of venues are you going to play it in? If you're going that route I'd reccomend the AAX Stage ride as an alternative.

A

audiotech

I can't, right now, tell you what to buy but it would be the ZBT cymbals that I would be concentrating on. Look into the used market and get two pro cymbals, a ride and small crash, for your budget. You should be able to find a nice 20" ride, or crash ride for about $200 USD and a small crash for about $125 to $150 used. Depending on the model and your location, these would cost about $450 new.

To answer your question, I would get the ride first and if it's crashable, it's a double win when working with a minimal amount of cymbals. I'm not too familiar with the sound of the XS20 hats, but they got to be better than the ZBT series.

Dennis

BabyBob

Silver Member
Your hats are XS 20 which are pretty decent cymbals. Your ride and small crash, however, are ZBT dogs. Prioritise on getting those upgraded. I would do the ride first, the crash second. Cheaper rides sound worse than cheaper crashes, and ride are more expensive and so better to get out of the way sooner!

The AAX Stadium ride is a beast - what kind of venues are you going to play it in? If you're going that route I'd reccomend the AAX Stage ride as an alternative.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Hmm I see, yea the AAX Stadium Ride is a beast heard my friend's one in person and it's EPIC just what I wanted. Nice Bell and very cutting. I'd mostly be playing in function halls I'd say medium to small size(usually around 200+- people) though I'm not really sure how to measure the size lol does it go by seating capacity? Mostly 70% unmic-ed.

If I were going the used route what can I get?