What ride should i buy?

action23

Hello again

I play music like rock,metal,alternrock, classic and yeah just many diffrent music but i think i will be playing rock most of the time.

So what ride should i get? Max: 300$

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Buying a used ride will open up your price options. Maybe you'd like a thicker old A Zildjian? Maybe an HHX? What kind of sound do you like or want coming from your ride?

JimboJim

If you have a music store near you, go try out different cymbals and buy whatever you think sounds best. I know that's easy to say, but I have never once gone to a guitar center looking for a new piece (crash, ride, hats...) and not found that "one" that just spoke to me. Too many people get caught up in what a certain cymbal line is "supposed" to be. A good player can make almost any mix of cymabls sounds good. Example; I play mostly rock/alternative rock. Recently, I went looking for a new "rock" ride. I had been thinking maybe a Sabian Groove ride or the Jojo Mayer Fierce ride. Tried them all; ended up walking out with a 20" Zildjian K Custom Dry Ride; fits perfectly with my Paragons... who would have thought.

Strangelove

Gold Member
Hello again

I play music like rock,metal,alternrock, classic and yeah just many diffrent music but i think i will be playing rock most of the time.

Whatever you decide on, give the dry rides a listen. Zildjan Ks and Sabian raw bells.

MrPowerRide

Hello again

Only rides you will get brand new under 300 is a customs, z customs, aa rocks, aax..aa raw dry bell ride.paiste 2002 power rides, paiste alpha metal ride all are good for rock/metal and alternative styles. If you go used you can upgrade to a paiste signature power ride.
hard to say exactly though...you want ping? no ping and strictly stick definition? what kinda wash? dark, mellow? a million variables can go into picking the right ride.

pcastag

Get a 20" or 22" paiste 2002 or Giant Beat. They will definitely fit your needs in terms of mainly rock, but versatile, especially the Giant Beat.
PC

Strangelove

Gold Member
Get a 20" or 22" paiste 2002 or Giant Beat. They will definitely fit your needs in terms of mainly rock, but versatile, especially the Giant Beat.
PC
I was just listening to Pink Floyd's "Us and Them" today thinking how good the ping on Mason's Giant Beat ride sounded. Very cool and jazz like.Probably a 24, though it sounds a lot like my GB 20"Multi.Amazing that the main difference I have noticed between GBs and 2002s seems to be the lathing, yet their sound is so different.

T

TheArchitect

PC
I concur. I use a 22" 2002 ride for rock

T

trkdrmr

That's the ride I'll likely be buying sometime soon.... 20" most likely.

If I had a lot of extra cash I would spend a bit more and get a Sabian HH 22" Rock Ride.
I have a 20" a custom ride with a 22" Paiste 2002 heavy ride on the way.

MrPowerRide

I have a 20" a custom ride with a 22" Paiste 2002 heavy ride on the way.
i had a 22" 2002 heavy ride, it has a nice ping to it, but i was just overwhelmed by its overtones and build up. But the audience doesnt hear it, it has a good ping and a good small bell that sounds big if you can hit it consistently :)

piperdoog

Silver Member
300$$$ can get you quite the cymbal. My advice would be go to the music store in your area, if you have one like me, then go in and hit as many off them as you can, your ears will let you decide. For rock I do recommend at least a 21 inch, and more than likely a heavy ride, with a nice big bell.

MrPowerRide

300$$$ can get you quite the cymbal. My advice would be go to the music store in your area, if you have one like me, then go in and hit as many off them as you can, your ears will let you decide. For rock I do recommend at least a 21 inch, and more than likely a heavy ride, with a nice big bell.
$300 will get you either a 22" 2002 power ride, 22" AAX anything, 22" AA, anything by A and Z Custom rides. if you go to GC TELL them, you can only spend $280+ tax, they'll make it happen if they really want the sale.

mrbling

Silver Member
i have the aa rbdr it rocks i love it better than any other ride ive played. except maybe the power bell i love that.

and if you do go sabian try and get the free china offer. i missed out cos im english but its a good deal