What Recorded Snare Sound Do You Like?

Ransan

I’m not a “member” of twitter but that pic is informative. His slave bass pedal is outside the hi hat pedal.

And…what, exactly, is a Premiere Jupiter snare?
Hi cb, I’m not a Twitter member neither, I think the blue check by his name and profile says everything!

As far as the slave that I see as well, good eye, as for the last inquiry not sure what a Premiere Jupiter snare is.

Can you show me a triple beaded Premiere snare?
I’d be happy to see.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Low tuned and high tuned snares have their places. I don't like hearing a high-tuned, cracky snare in slow tunes. It just sticks out, and I don't find that musically pleasing. Low-tuned snares are a fine line, though, and they do have a tendency to be processed to death, and I don't like that either.

I've always loved the snare sound on Dream Theater's Live at Budokan. The 14" snare on the left side of the kit. It honks, AND it cracks. And there's tons of really wonderful reverb, what sounds like a Lexicon 480L to my ears. (You can find a drums-only version of that album, and the reverb is clearly not coming from just the sound of the venue.) Kevin Shirley's mixes always have fantastic drum sounds, and Anton Fig's playing on various Joe Bonamassa records sounds great too, though I'm not the world's biggest Joe fan.

And of course Joe Morello's whole kit on Time Out sounds exquisite.

And Dogman by King's X is my gold standard for how a rock record should sound.

As to a snare sound that I don't like... Check out Will Kennedy's Zildjian Live performance. His playing, as always, is phenomenal, but the snare is big and fat and fairly heavily compressed (or is that Neve console saturation?), and notes get lost.
definitely "yes" to Joe Morello's Time Out snare

and I forgot about Jerry Gaskill's snare sound...I am partial to the Gretchen Goes To Nebraska sound for sure...good old Pearls...but I mostly can't ever get past Dug's bass sound on any Kings X album....HUGE!!!!

Iristone

Roger Taylor has a lovely low-tuned sound since the Sheer Heart Attack album, up until A Kind Of Magic or so. Not a fan of the snare sound on "One Vision", though. The mix sounds kind of strange to me.
Keith Moon on Who's Next and Quadrophenia.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

so after 6 pages, I am coming to the conclusion that I need to hit the lotto, retire, invest in an über hi-fi stereo system/room, and just spend my time listening....nay...EXPERIENCING all of these suggestions.....

Ransan

Tommy Roe’s ‘Dizzy’,
Redbone ‘Come and Get Your Love’.

Also, I love the pop of Motown snares, I.e. Isleys, The Four Tops.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Late to the game, but my favorite snare sounds include:
-The popular Copeland sound (especially Zenyatta Mondatta, where the drums still breathed more than, say Ghost in the Machine or Synchronicity)
-Bonham on Houses of the Holy (just a little thicker sounding to my ear)
-Roger Taylor's sound, especially on A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, and Jazz.
-Kenny Aronoff's snare on everything he's done, I believe.

As you can see, I like both high and tight, and low and fat. I can't really think of many snare sounds I hate, but I like the drum to be able to breathe and have a range of expression besides volume. That's my biggest bias against snares that are too tight and muffled (or for that matter, too loose and sloppy)- the sound doesn't vary much with the dynamic. I want to hear that thing talk! lol

Al Strange

Hi cb, I’m not a Twitter member neither, I think the blue check by his name and profile says everything!

As far as the slave that I see as well, good eye, as for the last inquiry not sure what a Premiere Jupiter snare is.

Can you show me a triple beaded Premiere snare?
I’d be happy to see.
It’s a Pearl snare guys... (y) :)

Ransan

Yeah, but we say that part quietly so as to not upset Tama🤫
It’s a Pearl snare guys... (y) :)
Bingo!
Al do they need more hints?
Additional give aways are the diamond lugs, and the strainer systems backplate in the forefront.
As most people stated about his rim set up, you can see the dc top and flanged batter lip prominently around the t-rods.

Again most have had and loved or loved to have one, and say there’s something particularly special about the Pearl Jupiter COB...

Last edited:

Al Strange

Bingo!
Al do they need more hints?
Additional give aways are the diamond lugs, and the strainer systems backplate in the forefront.
As most people stated about his rim set up, you can see the dc top and flanged batter lip prominently around the t-rods.
Oops, I see what you did there... 😂

Ransan

One recorded snare that was particularly meaningful to me was OLP's Naveed album. I had been taught to tame the snare by getting rid of unwanted overtone, and this was the first album I had heard where the producer/engineer chose not to tame it. Instead, they took it a step further and leaned on it.

Example:

You can tell by the sound that the snare is a $100 steel POS, but the manner in which it is produced/presented is brilliant and changed the way I think about recording drums..
Ahh Yes Jeremy T. I’ll go one step and add, his busy work on the snare in the Clumsy album was genius, always fun and pleasure to listen.
His Ayotte kit is legendary...